Switchbacks, Mule Deer and Horned Lizard Trail Loop

Switchbacks, Mule Deer and Horned Lizard Trail Loop is a 4.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Carlsbad, California that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This is my 'go to' hike as it is close to my home. I find it challenging due to the incline and the rocky trail...tests my balance. Lovely view and a place to sit and enjoy it at the top. I saw evidence of pigs (of the human persuasion) on the switchback trail today. Candy wrappers and cigarette butts! (That brush is like kindling!) They were just dropped on the trail, like Hansel & Gretel's breadcrumbs. I know anyone reading this would never be so thoughtless. Please, if you see people littering the trails, let them know that these pieces of trash pose a hazard to the wildlife. Perhaps they think there is someone who sweeps the trail behind them? I get incensed when people disrespect our earth. Thank you for your help to keep our city and wildlife safe.

Great local (for me) hike. Short but a good workout. You could easily stretch his hike to 5,6 or more miles. Trails everywhere. Amazing 360 views at the top.

Good