Swiss Canyon Trail

Swiss Canyon Trail is a 2.1 mile out and back trail located near Desert Hot Springs, California that offers scenic views. The trail is good for all skill levels and primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and nature trips.

View was spectacular! Trail is nicely marked and kept up

Nice, easy, well maintained trail. Slow grade. Ends when you reach the 'shrine'.

This is definitely one of my favorite desert trails in the area. The place is truly fascinating. The rock walls are just beautiful and the trail changes with every advance. There's your plain old desert at the bottom, then you work your way up past these great rock formations and cuts in the earth. You eventually run into a huge gray rock wall at least 12 feet high and you think it's done, but nope. You can go around on the right and all the way up to a shrine. This is one of the most peaceful trails I've ever walked. It's so quiet out there, the silence hurts my ears sometimes. As for the difficulty, I find the elevation change to be a bit hard on me with my asthma, but it's really not anything bad. Walking back down is the best. Great views and extremely easy. The trip down is my time to really look around and explore.

I'm a local and had never heard of this trail until finding here on AllTrails. This is a VERY nice, well maintained trail located just off of Verbena Drive. It can be easy to miss if you don't look in the right direction and get spooked by the "No Trespassing" signs. The trail begins just beyond those signs and just slightly to the south on a road that is located behind some houses. Keep going and you'll see it. There's several small rock walls that people have built, but that is to keep the off-roaders out, not hikers. If you keep going you will have to do a bit of rock climbing, but nothing too difficult. Someone had decorated a couple of bushes like Xmas trees when we went about halfway up. It's a steady ascend, but there's really some great views. Will hike this again.

Ok. My first time using AllTrails for a hike. Got to the point on the map. However, the trail was NOT clearly marked. At least three do not pass signs posted by forestry service. Hard for a novice hiker to work out where the trail started. We did walk and accidentally find the trail on our way back.
Wonderful vistas! Would do again.

Love these trails Brice canyon turns into Lewis canyon then way up back it continues to Meadow trail. Great trails very beautiful. I've made it all the way up to the Virgen De Guadalupe Shrine. Where someone planted real roses up there. Most definitely hiking there again soon.

Sunday, April 17, 2016

good app

Wednesday, November 26, 2014

The out-and-back canyon trail (Swiss Canyon trail, Brice Canyon trail, or Mike Lewis Trail; it has a lot of names) is INSANELY well maintained by folks who live near it. I met one of the guys a couple years back. They hauled a lot of the trash out of the area and have set up impressive lines of rocks on each side of the trail---very aesthetically pleasing.

People make messages along the trail with rocks and by scratching words into the dirt, which makes the walk feel even more personalized by the neighborhood. While the trail is described as flat by Laura Randal in her book "Day and Overnight Hikes: Palm Springs", it does steadily incline as one goes.

The hilly trail nearby, which features steps carved into the dirt in some areas, its good for a workout or to get a vista of desert (especially impressive at night), but is less personalized by folks nearby. I've even run into a few people on the trail, them going up while I walk down towards home, which is surprising because it can feel sometimes like I'm the only one who hikes it. Always fun to see other folks out there :)

Friday, September 19, 2014

Monday, December 23, 2013

This is a very nice trail. I followed Brice canton trail, which doesn't climb any of
The hills but stays in a canyon that circles between several hills, kind of generally circling to left up canyon. All trails here are lined with two rows of rocks, easy to follow although the Brice canyon one seems to be the only named one. Anyways, I went
Up canyon for an hour, very pretty.