Swiss Canyon Trail is a 2.4 mile out and back trail located near Desert Hot Springs, California that offers the chance to see wildlife and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, running, and nature trips. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 2.4 miles Elevation Gain: 544 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Another great run. I went all the way up to the end of the trail past the 20 ft rock scramble. The fallen boulders were amazing.

Another great run but getting hot. Felt good in the canyon because there was shade and a cool breeze. I went a bit slower after seeing someone’s recent post about snakes. I run this trail once a week and haven’t seen anything but lizards. Still, no sense in pushing my luck, so slow and steady it was going up but I bombed out of there.

I did the Swiss Canyon Trail first, including scaling the rock wall at the turnaround then I hit the Washbasin Loop on the lower side, then up and over the Cross Trail Loop, and to add a bit of technical I did a little romp to the top of the mountain. That was insane!

Short but a good hike., highly recommended...

Fudge rattle snakes. Fat no go for me. Loved the trail but almost got bit by a snake, I’d rather get COVID-19 then have my muscle turned into a milkshake.

Lots of versions of this trail! Will be coming back to try more

Cool rainy afternoon hike with my daughter. Good times.

That’s is one fun downhill trail run.

Awesome short trail for running. Beautiful canyon trail with a couple of small scrambling spots towards the end of the trail. Highly recommended.

Also called Brice's Canyon. Well maintained. Good cardio workout as it is a slow steady climb. Ends at a point where you can scramble up some rock to see if it continues. Does not end with a view despite the climb (in a canyon).

Fri May 31 2019

This is my second time trying to do this trail. It’s easy to get off course as there are a lot of ancillary trails. I got to the cross by keeping to the left at start. Then, went down the hill and I to the right. I did hike into a canyon. It was not Swiss Canyon. The views of the valley were gorgeous at sunrise. There were a few coyotes and a lot of rubbish dumped on the trail.

Sat May 25 2019

Really nice hike in town, when you get there you will be welcomed by "No trespassing" signs and some barking dogs behind fences. Don't be intimidated just keep walking straight and you will find the start of the trail. Once you do there will several other trails leading into different directions. I chose the trail that led to the cross and back down.

private property
Mon Mar 11 2019

Several paths lead up. Very confusing. “Directions” does not put you on correct trailhead. May be good for a trail runner workout but not much of a hike. And there is fencing across several paths.

Sun Feb 24 2019

Nice little canyon trail close in. Interesting geology. Combine with DHS loop trail for a more rigorous workout

Sat Feb 24 2018

excellently maintained. superior views of valley. can be quite windy though. many alternate trails in a network.

Thu Feb 01 2018

Beautiful Canyon views. Trail is very well marked and maintained. As expected in the desert, there’s no shade so wear a hat and bring some water. It’s short and easy. A fun way to get some exercise and experience the terrain in Desert Hot Springs.

Fri Dec 29 2017

Don’t be put off by the start and the ‘no trespassing’ signs - once you get up into the canyon it’s lovely. Short, although it seems like it goes on a lot further than the given little map here

Thu Dec 28 2017

I input 10540 Verbena Drive in Google maps, and it took me to within 30 feet of the trailhead. I didn’t walk through the canyons much. I hiked to the cross/shrine and followed the trail further up the hills and looped back around. That was only 1.35 miles, but it was pretty steep and gave me a good workout. I slid a lot on the way down, so I’m not sure I’d recommend that. To get to the cross, walk up the main dirt road just to the right of the small stone bridge on Verbena. Pass the 2 chained areas and go through the railroad tie entrance. After that you will take a trail to the left that leads you up the hill. The trail gives you a great view of Desert Hot Springs, the windmills and the valley. I walked in December, so the landscape was brown. It’s a great place to walk for exercise, but it doesn’t have the prettiest landscape. I will say it’s one of the best maintained trails I’ve ever walked. It’s amazing how much work must have gone into marking the trails with all of the little rocks. Thank you, volunteers, for all of that hard work.

Sat Apr 15 2017

View was spectacular! Trail is nicely marked and kept up

Fri Mar 31 2017

Nice, easy, well maintained trail. Slow grade. Ends when you reach the 'shrine'.

Tue Jan 03 2017

This is definitely one of my favorite desert trails in the area. The place is truly fascinating. The rock walls are just beautiful and the trail changes with every advance. There's your plain old desert at the bottom, then you work your way up past these great rock formations and cuts in the earth. You eventually run into a huge gray rock wall at least 12 feet high and you think it's done, but nope. You can go around on the right and all the way up to a shrine. This is one of the most peaceful trails I've ever walked. It's so quiet out there, the silence hurts my ears sometimes. As for the difficulty, I find the elevation change to be a bit hard on me with my asthma, but it's really not anything bad. Walking back down is the best. Great views and extremely easy. The trip down is my time to really look around and explore.

Sat Dec 31 2016

I'm a local and had never heard of this trail until finding here on AllTrails. This is a VERY nice, well maintained trail located just off of Verbena Drive. It can be easy to miss if you don't look in the right direction and get spooked by the "No Trespassing" signs. The trail begins just beyond those signs and just slightly to the south on a road that is located behind some houses. Keep going and you'll see it. There's several small rock walls that people have built, but that is to keep the off-roaders out, not hikers. If you keep going you will have to do a bit of rock climbing, but nothing too difficult. Someone had decorated a couple of bushes like Xmas trees when we went about halfway up. It's a steady ascend, but there's really some great views. Will hike this again.

Wed Dec 28 2016

Ok. My first time using AllTrails for a hike. Got to the point on the map. However, the trail was NOT clearly marked. At least three do not pass signs posted by forestry service. Hard for a novice hiker to work out where the trail started. We did walk and accidentally find the trail on our way back. Wonderful vistas! Would do again.

Sun Apr 17 2016