Sweetwater Trail

Sweetwater Trail is a 5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near El Dorado Hills, California that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

beach

This is a nice moderate hiking trail with some short up and downs and one small creek. There are a few rocks in the path but nothing difficult. Bikers use this trail as well. The hike comes out on Salmon falls road, about a mile south of the American River bridge. There is a small parking area there, so you can start on the end opposite the bridge if you would like. Also, if you cross Sweetwater creek at the end of the trail, and then forge your way across the lake bed (that is usually dry in the summer) you will find a paved parking area. It is probably only 1/4 mile from the end of Sweetwater. This is another Folsom Lake recreation area, but is much less known and used than the one at the bridge. At one end of the parking lot is a hiking only trail. Watch out for Poison Oak!

Beautiful trail with lots of wildflowers, butterflies and gorgeous views of the lake. However, the poison oak was everywhere and there are several downed trees blocking the trail.

Half mile out I picked 2 ticks off of my dog. There is a ton of poison oak, the trail is mostly 2 feet wide with long grass growing across it for ticks to use to wait for you to come along. This trail was a waste of the 10 dollar parking and the time and gas to get here. I gave it a 2 star because the restroom was clean and the area is beautiful.

This trail was great! Went on a 97 degree day and thankfully this trail is mostly shaded. Me and my friend did this trail and we were the only people on it. Watch out for ticks! Had one jump on my hand.

the wildflowers were beautiful and great views of the lake.

So pretty! Shaded most of the way, very green, spots to picnic if you want. I am terribly out of shape so it did get me out of breath just walking, but lots of spots to stop in the shade. $10 parking, so just fyi, but highly recommended!

Shaded most of the way. Great trail. More easy than moderate. Incline in a couple places but otherwise pretty flat. Very beautiful. I went in the middle of May and had great weather

Follows lake but trail is narrow and poison oak is on both sides in many spots . Trail gets crowded around 11:00 . Our dog enjoyed the streams and swimming in the lake but there are lots of ticks so we spent time removing them from her and is when we got home

If you start from the other side you can park for free on the road there is space other wise there is a paid parking lot at the head of the trail. Well covered, I prefer loop trails but this up and back had plenty to see with the lake and river next to you the whole time. A little over grown but still well marked lots of flowers! Some good elevation changes but a good hike. It is a mountain bike trail as well be careful.

Ticks galore! I found 14 ticks on my dog. DO NOT recommend this trail for dogs.

About 90% shade making the hike very enjoyable. Lots of butterflies, wildflowers, hummingbirds and more lake view throughout hike

Beautiful easy to moderate trail! Lovely views and not too many people. Nice access down to the lake. I will definitely do this one again

Nice shady trail with great views of the lake.

Great for the family hike. Lots of butterflies.

Beautiful hike! Shaded for about 75% of the time. I'd say it was more on the easier scale not moderate. Would make a great running trail! We did see some poison oak, so just be mindful. Lots of butterflies, wild flowers and very green! You can see the water alongside of you almost the entire time.

Has great shade for hot days!
Mostly gradual climbs
I didn't do the whole hike, I hiked an hour down to a trail that takes you to the lake!
Very secluded, and I went on a Sunday.

Spring I'm guessing is the best, really green, flowers and butterflies. Just watch out for ticks!

This was a good quick hike. I would say its more of an easy hike, not sure why it is rated as moderate. We only saw a few other people on the trail with us. Everything was very pretty and green. Lots of shaded area along the trail too. We saw plenty butterflies flying around and could hear the birds singing. The trail is pretty narrow, so our group was walking single file, but we didn't mind.