Sweetwater Trail

Sweetwater Trail is a 5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near El Dorado Hills, California that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

beach

This is a nice moderate hiking trail with some short up and downs and one small creek. There are a few rocks in the path but nothing difficult. Bikers use this trail as well. The hike comes out on Salmon falls road, about a mile south of the American River bridge. There is a small parking area there, so you can start on the end opposite the bridge if you would like. Also, if you cross Sweetwater creek at the end of the trail, and then forge your way across the lake bed (that is usually dry in the summer) you will find a paved parking area. It is probably only 1/4 mile from the end of Sweetwater. This is another Folsom Lake recreation area, but is much less known and used than the one at the bridge. At one end of the parking lot is a hiking only trail. Watch out for Poison Oak!

I do NOT recommend this hike. Trail is narrow and overgrown, we had brush hitting our legs through the entire trail, and it's only wide enough for 1 person. lots of stickers and spider webs due to the narrow trail.
on the positive side, very green, well shaded, and follows the lake perimeter so pretty views.

this trail is beautiful! It is moderate, only because there are some sections that get pretty rocky. Most of the trail is very walk-able though. Highly recommend!

the only reason I am giving this 4/5 stars is because of the payment method. Its $10 for the day (which I don't mind but some might) but its a self-pay box, so make sure to bring exactly $10 in cash

Great trail. Narrow, but I managed with 2 dogs.

This trail is way too narrow to share. I tried to do it with my dog and there was no way to avoid the bat-out-of-hell mountain bikers that were wizzing by. I had to literally stand in the brush to let bikers pass because there was no where else to go. I walked a mile in and then turned back around and left.

very pretty but super narrow trail and TICKS. checked my dog a mile in and she had a dozen crawling on her front legs. we won't be back.

Great morning hike! Nice scenery. Plan to do again soon.

What a cool hike. About two miles in, there is a trail down to the river/ lake. (Not sure what it is considered up there) Would be great to break off and swim in warmer weather or let your hound play in the water. The mountain bikers we encountered were very laid back.

Single person width trail only- not great for groups. Nice views of the lake during the first half of the hike. Better to park at the end near Salmon Falls and avoid the $10 parking fee.
Disappointed there was no “end” place to stop and have lunch- the group is rough with lots of stickers.

Nice place!

Gorgeous! Not very populated and wonderful for running, hiking, or mountain biking! Most of the trail is shaded and very peaceful.

Farily scenic for the first 1/2 mile. The rest is more or so forest and dead trees. 5.4 miles back n forth overall. I enjoyed it. Happy trails!

Most of trail is in the shade in the morning, made it a very comfortable hike in the heat.

Nice moderate trail. Pros: Creek, frogs, lake access/views, dragonflies, clean toilets w/ paper, not crowded, shaded a good portion of the way. Cons: Lots of poison oak (just watch for it and you will be ok) and parking fee of $10 (but considering the clean restrooms, worth it). You will reach Salmon Falls Road at the turnaround point and there are a few free parking spaces there. Since this is an out and back, starting at either end works.

Will have to try this trail in the winter, rattlesnakes on the trail.

Great trail for the kiddos to go with. Very clean and well taken care of.

There is a $10 fee to park your car here. Its a nice trail and theres a great spot to swim. The water seems cleaner and calmer here. I did see a ton of poison oak along the trail and we ran across lots of bikers.

great hike, shaded lots of up and diwn, a couple trickling creeks with black berrues, interesting variety if trees and butterflies. one note if you plan a sunrise hike, like we did, the parking lot doesn't open til 7 am, but we parked along the road and walked in just before 6 am. Lake is lovely, going to come back to kayak.

Monday, June 12, 2017

Beautiful trail with lots of wildflowers, butterflies and gorgeous views of the lake. However, the poison oak was everywhere and there are several downed trees blocking the trail.

Sunday, May 28, 2017

Half mile out I picked 2 ticks off of my dog. There is a ton of poison oak, the trail is mostly 2 feet wide with long grass growing across it for ticks to use to wait for you to come along. This trail was a waste of the 10 dollar parking and the time and gas to get here. I gave it a 2 star because the restroom was clean and the area is beautiful.

Saturday, May 20, 2017

This trail was great! Went on a 97 degree day and thankfully this trail is mostly shaded. Me and my friend did this trail and we were the only people on it. Watch out for ticks! Had one jump on my hand.

Saturday, May 20, 2017

the wildflowers were beautiful and great views of the lake.

Wednesday, May 17, 2017

So pretty! Shaded most of the way, very green, spots to picnic if you want. I am terribly out of shape so it did get me out of breath just walking, but lots of spots to stop in the shade. $10 parking, so just fyi, but highly recommended!

Monday, May 15, 2017

Shaded most of the way. Great trail. More easy than moderate. Incline in a couple places but otherwise pretty flat. Very beautiful. I went in the middle of May and had great weather

Saturday, May 13, 2017

Follows lake but trail is narrow and poison oak is on both sides in many spots . Trail gets crowded around 11:00 . Our dog enjoyed the streams and swimming in the lake but there are lots of ticks so we spent time removing them from her and is when we got home

Monday, May 08, 2017

If you start from the other side you can park for free on the road there is space other wise there is a paid parking lot at the head of the trail. Well covered, I prefer loop trails but this up and back had plenty to see with the lake and river next to you the whole time. A little over grown but still well marked lots of flowers! Some good elevation changes but a good hike. It is a mountain bike trail as well be careful.

Monday, May 08, 2017

Ticks galore! I found 14 ticks on my dog. DO NOT recommend this trail for dogs.

Saturday, May 06, 2017

Monday, May 01, 2017

About 90% shade making the hike very enjoyable. Lots of butterflies, wildflowers, hummingbirds and more lake view throughout hike

Saturday, April 29, 2017

Beautiful easy to moderate trail! Lovely views and not too many people. Nice access down to the lake. I will definitely do this one again

Saturday, April 29, 2017

Nice shady trail with great views of the lake.