Learn more

Sweetwater Trail is a 5 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near El Dorado Hills, California that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 5.0 miles Elevation Gain: 282 feet Route Type: Out & Back

beach

fee

This is a nice moderate hiking trail with some short up and downs and one small creek. Parking fee: $10.00 cash box as of July 2019 There are a few rocks in the path but nothing difficult. Bikers use this trail as well. The hike comes out on Salmon falls road, about a mile south of the American River bridge. There is a small parking area there, so you can start on the end opposite the bridge if you would like. Also, if you cross Sweetwater creek at the end of the trail, and then forge your way across the lake bed (that is usually dry in the summer) you will find a paved parking area. It is probably only 1/4 mile from the end of Sweetwater. This is another Folsom Lake recreation area, but is much less known and used than the one at the bridge. At one end of the parking lot is a hiking only trail. Watch out for Poison Oak!

I got the worst poison ivy here that you've ever seen. It was incredibly bad, all over my arms, legs, and on my nose. took weeks to heal. I was practically paralyzed due to skin infections

Nice, moderate up and down, but not overly taxing. Lots of poison oak and ticks, found nno less than 5 to 6 on my dog after the hike and 2 on me. Parking lot is closed but able to park on the street by the bridge.

good 5 mile hike. lots of up and downs and not a lot of shade. parking lot is closed so we parked down the hill and the side of the road.

Good hike to the lake. It is a very woodsy, dirt trail all the way. It definitely has a good mix of up and downhill throughout. We enjoyed a pit stop to snack at the lake and the fish were jumping! The parking lot is closed currently so we parked on the road and walked through the lot to the trail

Places to walk down to the lake. A little overgrown in some areas, and trail is narrow for single-file hike. Lots of shaded hiking area. But good places to view scenery and the wildflowers are blooming. Even saw a bald eagle!

this is a great trail. Good spots to just in the water at the end if you want.

Overgrown with poison oak. Nice scenery and easy stroll.

Took the dogs and their paws got stuck and tangled with the biggest burrs I’ve ever seen. They are everywhere and wrecked my fingers trying to get them out for them so they weren’t limping. Nice area but bad for dogs with soft paws.

fee

Beautiful in the spring, lots of people though. Had to climb over one fallen tree.

Great hike. So beautiful. Bathrooms at trailhead. Mostly shaded. $10 to park.

fee

03/06/20 - This is a pretty nice trail. Well maintained and good views of the river. I would rate it easy. We went today (Friday) and didn’t see anyone else on the trail or in the parking lot. There’s a decent amount of shade since the trail is in the trees near the river. Looks like a nice area to hike in the summer because there were plenty of spots to jump in. $10 fee to park.

I'm not much of an outdoors person and I don't hike a lot. However, I would recommend this trail die to the nice scenery and birds. Really quiet and should be good for beginner's or non hikers (like myself).

Saw two separate bald eagles, it was beautiful. Watch out for mountain bikers. A few of them almost took us out on the narrow trail.

This is my running trail and I love it! So close to me and the view changes on the time of year and how high the water is. Just be extremely careful of the poison oak in the spring. It is bad...there are also a lot of ticks here. You can also see the old bridge when it gets super low.

Nice shady hike with access to the reservoir. Adequate parking, and easy to get to.

It's a simple hike. I would hardly call it moderate in any way. Not much to see except the lake that you walk around. Single file trail. It's not much overgrown now because a lot has dried up in the summer heat. It has in and out shade/sun areas so be prepared for the hot areas in summer. We calculated at about 7 miles round trip with two side trail stops. A very disappointing end to the trail though-nothing but a gate that leads to the road. Take the trails to the right that's about in the middle and right before the end to at least relax and enjoy the waterfront. There are boats and one of them was playing loud music but it was only for a minute. Didn't encounter any bugs or ticks but I always use bug spray anywhere I go that has brush. Parking is currently $10.00. There were lots of sail boats when we came back so if you're into that, might be a good place too. Only ran into one bicyclist with a kid.

Sun Jun 09 2019

this is a great trail for beginners who are serious about getting into hiking. its also good for those who have not been in a long time.

Sun May 12 2019

Beautiful, but overgrown and ticks everywhere!!!!

Sun May 12 2019

One of my favorites in the area in the summer because it’s shaded. But it’s a little overgrown right now. Be careful about poison oak and check for ticks. Enjoy!!

Sat May 11 2019

Nice trail, however we encountered a lot of ticks.

Sat May 11 2019

Good warm up trail for summer. Parking on the south side is limited, paid parking on the north side

Sat May 04 2019

Very nice trail. Still lots of flowers. Boats are very noisy and play really bad music...

Mon Apr 29 2019

Look out for ticks. I had to pick around 30 ticks of my dog...I’m not exaggerating.

Fri Apr 26 2019

trail was good. saw a rattlesnake on the trail, so beware. hiked in the evening, a lot of bugs. bring bug spray. overall great hike.

Sun Mar 31 2019

Nice mix of sun and shade. Lake view.