Swansea-Cerro Gordo Scenic Drive

Swansea-Cerro Gordo Scenic Drive is a 34.7 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Lone Pine, California. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for scenic driving and off road driving. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

scenic driving

historic site

Rugged backway to Salt Tram Station and Cerro Gordo Ghost Town This is a tougher alternate route to Cerro Gordo Ghost Town. The road climbs rapidly through a corridor through the Inyo Mountains Wilderness and runs along the ridge atop the Inyo Mountains. Great views, wildflowers and historical mining structures. Located in Inyo National Forest. Steep, narrow and rocky in places. Last part of the route is a narrow shelf road. Prone to washouts and rock slides. Suitable for aggressive stock SUVs with high clearance, low range and skid plates.

off road driving

Attempted this under advisement that recent snowfall made the trail extremely dangerous if not impossible. We are experienced but did find the snow to be far too deep to handle with the equipment and time available. It was quite enjoyable regardless and the caretaker at the ghost town was quite friendly and appreciated the report back on the exact conditions we found.

I just did this trail yesterday with the wife on our own and it was very challenging i thought.. i drove a stock Colorado ZR2 with the diesel and i dont think i would do this solo again..

Got a flat less than a third of the way up from Swansea side and i used more fuel than i thought also. Trans temp got up to 250 deg and that got mr worried.. i also may have experienced some brake fade down the steep sections..

Before you do this trail make sure your brakes are good to go.

Very much agree with Jon’s review below. A little uncomfortable at times. Drove a stock SR5 4x4 with Nitto Grapplers. Kept up with both buddy’s lifted FJ’s.

Monday, July 03, 2017

Today was the second time I did this trail, and my first time leading the way. We took the side trip to see the mine. I paused the record function on the app so there's a gap in my track. I remembered to restart it as we started the drive on Cerro Gordo .
The environment changes as you move from desert to mountain to rolling hills, wooded valley, ending with a shelf section that is sure to make you a little uncomfortable.Good times , overall it's a great experience

Sunday, March 05, 2017

Drove up this road for 7.5 miles. Super windy day so we only walked around a bit. Views were nice. Feels deserted old miners terrain.

Saturday, November 25, 2017