Swansea-Cerro Gordo Scenic Drive

Swansea-Cerro Gordo Scenic Drive is a 35 mile loop trail located near Lone Pine, California. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for scenic driving and off road driving. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

scenic driving

Rugged backway to Salt Tram Station and Cerro Gordo Ghost Town This is a tougher alternate route to Cerro Gordo Ghost Town. The road climbs rapidly through a corridor through the Inyo Mountains Wilderness and runs along the ridge atop the Inyo Mountains. Great views, wildflowers and historical mining structures. Located in Inyo National Forest. Steep, narrow and rocky in places. Last part of the route is a narrow shelf road. Prone to washouts and rock slides. Suitable for aggressive stock SUVs with high clearance, low range and skid plates.

off road driving

Today was the second time I did this trail, and my first time leading the way. We took the side trip to see the mine. I paused the record function on the app so there's a gap in my track. I remembered to restart it as we started the drive on Cerro Gordo .
The environment changes as you move from desert to mountain to rolling hills, wooded valley, ending with a shelf section that is sure to make you a little uncomfortable.Good times , overall it's a great experience

off road driving

Drove up this road for 7.5 miles. Super windy day so we only walked around a bit. Views were nice. Feels deserted old miners terrain.

Friday, November 11, 2016