Sutherland Lake via Black Canyon Road

Sutherland Lake via Black Canyon Road is a 11 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Ramona, California that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October.

This hike is not really a trail. It's a dirt road for cars with very little, to no shade that leads to the dam. I drove half way up to the dam before realizing I was already on the "trail". The dam itself is beatiful, but there are gates and no trespassing signs everywhere. I understand why they don't want people on the dam but pretty much every road is blocked off too. You are unable to actually walk on the lakes shore (during the week), so I walked around the lake as far as I could go until the road veered away. It was just a paved road. I did see as I was walking around the lake that they open an entrance on the weekends, Fri-Sun for people to bring boats and go fishing, or to swim. I went on a Wednesday, so no up close and personal for me. I was very disappointed by this hike.

Start where the pavement ends on Black Canyon road in Ramona and head North about 5 miles, hang a right at the bridge and follow the road about a mile up to the dam. I saw two cars, three hikers and about a dozen mountain bikes so it's not crowded. I found easy but long, about 12 mile round trip.