Sunset Trail to Laguna Meadows Loop

Sunset Trail to Laguna Meadows Loop is a 8.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Mt Laguna, California that features a lake. The trail is good for all skill levels and primarily used for hiking, walking, and snowshoeing. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Beautiful view of Downtown San Diego on this trail. Came across a bobcat on the trail near the lake. Busy trail as well with the mountain bikers.

Beautiful hike with not-too-strenuous of inclines. You could choose to take a shorter route back to the cars at multiple points throughout the hike. Some of the forks weren’t super clearly marked so having the app was handy. There is a fair amount of parking at the trailhead but I believe you need an adventure pass to park there which can be bought at the local convenience stores. Looked like a great trail to take dogs. I would highly recommend!

nice and easy

I started the trail at 7am... It was one of the best hikes I have done in San Diego! Great views, water, meadows people on the trail were experienced hikers, mountain bikers were courtious. All around awesomeness! My dog loved it too!

Not too difficult. Trailhead signs not very distinct. Saw heard of cows during hike.

Tons of little frogs by the big lake. Nice & clean trail. Popular with mountain bikers.

That sound of the wind going through the pines made me forget about my entire work week.

This is a mixture of Moderate while on the Sunset Trail and Easy while on Big Laguna Trail. The weather was perfect Sunday, March 27, 2017. Was nice to see lots of others out enjoying what beautiful backcountry San Diego County has to offer.

Sunday, November 27, 2016

Fun, relaxing hike. Know the route before heading out. Signage is marked with numbers which mean nothing without a map. Saw one sign stating a trail name the whole 8 miles, plenty of markers though. Was windy and chilly. Bundle up :)

Saturday, September 03, 2016

Had so much fun!

Monday, May 30, 2016

Nice scenic trail, but very busy with bikes.

Friday, May 27, 2016

Saturday, May 21, 2016 I hike this trail with my great hiking friends, we had a small group but we had a great hike up to Manza Peak Benchmark! The start of the hike was very cold and stayed through to the peak! The wind was howling loud!! It was a rough & tough hike to the peak which required some bushwhacking & cairns markers to make our way through! The hike was well worth it! The view is breathtaking and the best of it all, signing the official Manza Peak Benchmark peak log! Approximately 2.43 miles to the peak. Afterwards, we hiked the Laguna Meadows & world famous, Pacific Crest Trail to get the most mileage of the hike!

Sunday, May 22, 2016

This was an amazing hike with all the views to the west. Hiking through the tall pnes and stop on big rocks for snack breaks makes it an even better chill spot.

Tuesday, May 17, 2016

One of my favorite short loop hikes in San Diego! Have done this short hike many, many times.

Friday, May 13, 2016

Great hike. Pretty easy as there isn't much elevation gain. Saw 4 people total on the entire hike. It's looking very green right now so take advantage!

Monday, April 04, 2016

legit. great meadow views as well as Sweetin westerly views in a couple places. easy trail but great experience

Saturday, March 19, 2016

Great trail. Well marked and beautiful terrain. Only saw about 20 people the whole hike. My only complaint is that it was a little too easy, no real elevation changes.

Friday, March 11, 2016

I wish this was closer to the city. I wish it snowed more often. I wish I was there right now.
I love this trail because I love hearing the sound of the wind in the trees, bird songs, and trail under my boots. It's flat and fairly open with shade just off the path. I've only been there on the weekends and have only seen a handful of people. I recommend going in Winter and Spring when it's greener than it's gold.

Monday, February 15, 2016

Beautiful, there's also some cows

Monday, December 14, 2015

Our first adventure and it was amazing. Easy terrain and lots of nature to take in!