Sunset Trail

Sunset Trail is a 2.7 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Pine Valley, California that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Mt. Laguna, CA: Sunset Trail can be found at The Meadows, mile marker 19.9, along Sunrise Scenic Byway.

I took my 5 month old black lab to do this hike last weekend. It was perfect! We climbed to the top of the hill and didn't see any other hikers until we made it back down to the meadow. We turned onto the Big Laguna trail to get in a longer hike and wound up hiking about 6.5 miles total. I brought barely enough water for the extended hike but luckily the lagoons are full right now so the dog had plenty and she even took a dip to cool off on the way back to Sunrise Highway. We took our time since this was the longest hike I've taken my dog on this far. We made it back to the car in about 3.5 hours. Not too strenuous, but the altitude at 5000+ ft makes the climb a bit more difficult so keep in mind. Lots of scenery and animals in the meadow. We saw deer and cattle. Lots of birds. One snake near the lagoon. It's a winner. I would do this hike again.

Great easy little hike. We took our sweet time and enjoyed the journey and the stunning views.

Sunday, October 09, 2016