Sunset, Sequoia Bayview, Cindarella, and Sinawik Loop

Sunset, Sequoia Bayview, Cindarella, and Sinawik Loop is a 3.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Oakland, California that offers the chance to see wildlife and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This trail network offers a plethora of options. Explore the Palo Seco Creek, and Cinderella creek while looking for wildflowers and the occasional deer. A popular option is to take the Sinawik trail to the Castle Park Trail, and return via the Sequoia Bayview Trail and the Sunset Trail.

If you’re a beginner trail runner like me, I’d just do the Sequoia Bayview trail as an out-and-back. Beautiful trees, found it quite tranquil in the morning. Going west on the Cinderella trail is SUPER steep downhill and quite rocky. Fun to hike, but slightly terrifying if you’re a new trail runner.

love this trail, just another treasures in the Oakland hill. Great for hiking, jogging, biking. Theres areas available for bbq picnics, and large bbq gatherings. I love the creeks running along the trails and the large redwoods for kids to climb on.

Tried it out today (7/6) in the afternoon. It was okay, don’t think I’d do it again or recommend it, honestly.

Pro: there’s a good mix of terrain, from wide flat paths through tall trees to narrow paths through grassy hillside, easy access from main roads in Oakland, mostly shady paths, very few other people hiking it and only a couple of bikers, a good bit of free parking

Con: the trails are marked VERY poorly (had I not had this app, I would have been terribly lost), parts of the trail are very narrow which makes getting out of the way for bikers a bit difficult, you can hear planes flying overhead and traffic on the interstate on a good bit of the trail, I spent most of the time looking at the ground making sure I wouldn’t trip over the numerous rocks and wasn’t able to enjoy the actual trail

We had a lot of fun on the sunset trail, lots of great views and we didnt run into many people.

Mostly shaded trail with nice views and varied vegetation. the trail begins with gentle switchbacks up to Sequoia Bayview trail. From there it is a long flat stretch under the tree line with occasional peeks out towards the bay. The Cinderella Trail narrows quite a bit. (I wouldn't want to meet a bike on that part of the trail as parts of it were rough and the steepest section.) Then you are returned back to the trailhead through a flat fire road. Overall, a nice hike.

Parts of the trail are very active with bikers so it can get very dusty. Relatively shady for most of the trail. Pretty easy trail to follow.

Nice trail, but you have to watch out for mountain bikes. Alot.

Extremely fun and great for all ages.

Beautiful!
Great hike for you and your dog!

I love

Nice trails

Lovely hike, but the trail is often quite narrow. This would normally be fine, but there are a lot of trail bike riders, and not enough space to accommodate the traffic. It was frustrating for us to constantly move out of their way, and I’m sure it was frustrating for them to constantly be stuck behind hikers.

we ended up doing several loops and random trails. it was a bit wet and muddy and still an easy trail. It's amazing to see this kind of beauty is right here in the bay area. There were many kids out on the trails. bikers who for the most part were very polite on the trail. and dog owners who also for the most part were polite. Beautiful creeks ,trees and stick forts. there are picnic tables and bathrooms through different spots as well. we will be back.

Great hike on a clear day! Cinderella trail can get crowded with fast downhill bikers. There is also a fork which is not on the map. Keep left for a shortcut to Sinawik or right for some extra eucalyptus trees.

Beautiful hike. You do have to watch for bike riders but most I met called out to us hikers. Biggest draw back was running into several dogs off leash. All signs say dogs need to be on leash.

I love the views

I enjoyed a 5 mile hike through out these lovely trails.

Trail had lots of fun shortcuts and you could choose if you wanted to do a long hike or a short hike, lots of options.
Kid friendly and dog friendly, and we were surrounded by trees the whole time

Nice morning hike to get the day started :) It can be easy, but there are trails off the sides that will let you challenge yourself.

Mountain bikers called Cinderella trail a bike trail and were pretty hazardous to hikers.

Beautiful Redwoods here. Lots of history behind the man responsible for this park. Not always about the view. Writer, Poet he was a traveler. This was established around 1870 . Great hiking/biking trails. I was here just this past summer.

Nice sunset. Some steep and rocky sections. Watch for mountain bikers

Great forest scenes and trails, moderate ups and downs.

love it here!! one of my favourite places to come in the bay area.

Great park. Some great views. If you stay on the paved path its a little less then 2miles. However, if you follow some of the other trails, you can get a little more of a workout. Not many hills & they are small. Dogs allowed on trail. Big bonus for me.

We hiked the Sunset Trail to the Bayview trail and came back down the mountain via Chaparral trail. the canopied trails were great coupled with the cool weather and great views.

We will be returning soon!

Did the Sanawik Loop Trail and part of the Sunset trail. Sanawik takes you through more forest type nature while the Sunset Trail has some amazing views of Oakland and San Francisco. Highly recommend both trails. Sunset is probably more kid friendly.

Wednesday, July 12, 2017

We went up through the Sunset Trail and at the end of the trail, it recorded 2 miles. We were trying to find the loop back from Sunset Trail but it was a dead end after the goat farm. So we went back down Sunset and took the Sunset Loop Trail which we should have done to begin with. We took the Sequoia Bayview Trail which was supposed to take us to Cinderella Trail and down back to Sunset. But we couldn't find Cinderella Trail so we took the Fern Ravine Trail that connected us back to Sunset. All in all, a total of 5.6mi-- 2 miles up and 3.6 mo looping down with up to about 1200ft elevation. We will do this again and start with the loop and find Cinderella Trail for the complete loop as the map shows.

Sunday, July 09, 2017

I'm new to hiking, but I've done three hikes out at this park. To the person who commented there are no views... it's a very big park and on my first two hikes I came across beautiful views. If you go down to the meadow (right inside the entrance on Sanborn) and follow the Sunset Trail to the left, you will in fact come upon a view looking over all of Oakland, Alameda, SF - both bridges, etc. There is a little green bench at the top so you can sit down and enjoy the view. If you instead park by the Woodminster Theater and walk down all the steps (where the waterfalls once were - the drought has emptied this park of most of the water sadly) and then follow the fire road, you come to Lookout Point. Also a great view of Oakland. I, sadly, cannot figure out how to do the Sunset Loop, as the only trails I've found are "Sunset Loop S" which is not maybe a mile long and you end up back at the meadow. Someday I hope to have it mastered! Lol. Sorry for the novel length review. Oh and yes, watch out for bikers if you're just hiking. The trails are narrow almost every time I encounter them. Plenty of nice folks out there. I only have been in the evening, but I highly recommend it. I haven't gotten lost yet (which is a miracle!)