Sunset Peak Trail

Sunset Peak Trail is a 7.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Mt Baldy, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

12 minutes ago

this trailhead is beautiful! cuts into the backside of glendora mtn road. kinda gives you a different view of the mountains. Takes a while like 6 hrs. on a fireroad, never too crowded. Don't go alone on this one though. It's moderate and slightly remote.

Love this trail up the ridge is a pretty tough climb but so much fun and beautiful views.

I started at the "yellow gate" at 4:30 pm, unsure of how long it would take me to get to the summit and back with the sunset being around 7:30 pm. I did not have a map with me and it was an obvious trail to follow but I did come to (2) forks in the road.....The first one was just about 1.75 miles in and I remembered there was a trail that ran parallel to GMR road, so I took a left at the fork and continued to follow the motor way. The second fork I was really unsure of which way to go so I continued straight on the trail for about another .75 miles and the trail continued to descend in elevation, so I deducted that I must have to turn around and head back to the fork. I went back to the fork and turned left and that followed around the motor way right to the summit of Sunset Peak. I then proceeded south and made my way down the single track back to where the fork in the road was and headed back down. All in all it took me 2:13 minutes at 8.29 miles. I had plenty of time to make it up to the summit and back down without losing any day light. I had passed 3 hikers on my way down and 1 mountain bike rider. Easy trail......Cheers

This was a fairly easy trail that had a gentle uphill slope to the top. The service road narrows down a bit as you get closer to the top, but never so much that the trail seems precarious. The gravel and rocks on the path also increases as you approach the summit. We walked under shade for most of the walk and found some rocks to sit on and have lunch at the end. It made for a nice long walk that anyone could do. We went on a Friday and only encountered one other person. Maybe that number increases as sunset approaches.
Note: If you are coming up Baldy Road, turn left at Glendora Ridge Road right before the Fire Station, go in about a mile until you see the yellow gate on the left.

fairly easy hike gradual incline. Nice views. would do it again.

This was a great conditioning hike. It felt fairly easy, just long. Intensity-wise, it reminded me of potato mountain, just longer. I believe it was closer to 8 miles than 7.3 though. I went on 2/19/18 and it was cold! There was some frost over a lot of the trail. The peak was not very prominent and was a little anticlimactic, but it was a nice hike. I would recommend it.

Tip for Directions: Glendora Ridge Rd is before the visitor's center in Baldy village. So if you hit the Visitor Center, you need to turn around!

Nice, easy hike overall. I personally am not a big fan of the hikes on off-road trails/roads, and this one is one of those, but there are nice views with lots of shade. Did this hike for the sunset and it lives up to it’s name. Solid views of the sunset. The only downside is how the trail is an unpaved road.

Nice trail. This is a good hike for beginners. Trail is shaded 80% of the way.

This hike isn’t a short distance so bring your snacks and water AT LEAST. I saw a couple of people carrying nothing.

This trail was easy to navigate, the elevation gain was smooth, had trekking poles but could have easily done this trail without them. A lot of shade provided by trees during the first part of the trail. Really great views at the top and along the trail. Not too many people, but I did go on a Sunday. Can't wait to go back.

Easy hike great views of the Valley(clouds hid the valley view from us) as well as the mountains to the East.

Always a fun hike.

Just spoke with the ranger station yesterday and they confirmed that the entire national forest will be closed due to the gov't shutdown.

Greetings Fellow Hikers!
Does anyone know if the access road will be open in the near future? Hoping to head up the weekend of the 27th.

To previous poster, the access road is still closed.

I like this trail quite a bit. The climb offers a decent challenge and the views are awesome, especially at sunrise.

Two tips I would share is to make sure you wear sturdy boots. The small jagged rocks only get worse as you get closer to the top. Secondly, the trailhead is very easy to miss at night as it is hidden by brush and trees. It is immediately to the left at the point where you reach the fire access turn off.

The access road leading to the trail head was closed for some time. I assume it's open now?

Great beginner hike. You’re on a fire rd, trail is wide and clean, lots of acorns on the ground. Take a headlamp if you’re hiking down after sunset. I felt very safe hiking in the dark, I saw 2 bany owls who followed me for a good 400+ feet. Just beautiful. As you’re hiking down the mountain you get views of all the city lights. Then dark mountains again, unless Mt Baldy has a show going on, then you see lights up there.

great hike this morning with few friends

great afternoon hike for a warm day as the trail is 90% covered in shade from big oak trees.

With the exception of the 1 mile hike to and from the trailhead (road is closed to vehicles) this is a gorgeous hike!

Perfect weather and shade for 3/4 of it makes the distance seem much shorter. Bring insect repellent and a camera. Oh, and hard soled shoes, it gets a bit rocky at times.

Great hike. We took the fire rd. There was shade most of the way. Gradual incline. Gorgeous views and sunset is amazing! Great for beginners.

unbelievable.....beautiful hike and wonderful views

Took the ridge up which was super steep, but, fun with some of the rock climbing. Loved the sunset view! So memorable. Take bug spray.

Great trail! Lots of bugs though.

No signs at fork or the top !! Easy to miss the fork nice hike cool hot day

Easy hike and the view at the top is worth it. There's other ways to backpack in and make it more challenging, and I suggest you try it if you're up to it. Bring a hat if you're doing this later in the day. Some bug repellent wouldn't hurt either.

very good

Sunday, April 23, 2017

Nice & easy hike! Bring sunglasses because the gnats WILL get in your eyes!

Saturday, April 15, 2017

Was a little easier than I'm used to but was a great relaxing hike .Met some great people on the trail . Will definitely do again great views at the top was fairly clear and could see LA.

Monday, April 03, 2017

Great hike. There are a few ways to summit, and the standard route provided here will take you along a fire road to the top. Along the way, there are a few chances to bushwhack up the ridges for a quicker and more challenging summit. We went on a pleasant spring morning, though I could see this getting hot in the summer on the more exposed slopes (~30% of the standard route). Great hike though and excellent views of the IE, LA and beyond.