Sunset Peak Trail is a 7.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Mt Baldy, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

amazing trail. hiked it first time took the easy route up ( trail that starts from the right of the trial head) left exactly at 4:20pm stopped a few times but ran about 1/3 of it.

the best refreshing views of the LA National Forest and of Mt baldy and surrounding peaks .

going down I took the must steeper route very rocky and slippery trail that goes down the edge of the mountain.

do not take kids on the steeper trail.

I reached the top around 5:46pm hung out there for a bit and headed down at around 6:15pm got to my car by 7:30pm it was dark and the way down was chilly.

must hike to mark ! great for Conditioning.

Beautiful hike! Parking is available near trailhead on the side of the road. No pass needed. We took the fire road and it was a slow and steady incline. Lots of shade. Take a left on switchbacks going up. Very rocky towards the peak. This is a very beautiful hike with gorgeous views going up.

This was such a beautiful hike! So I’ve never done this hike before and I lead a group of 8 people up the mountain. Here are things I wish some blogs and videos told me about the trail. We clock it at 7.6 miles. As slow hikers with a long rest stop at the top, we finished in 3hours.

You do not need an adventure pass to park at this trail. If the parking lot is full park on the side of the road near the trail.

There are two ways of competing this hike.There is a difficult side, where you start straight up to the left and the easy fire-road side to the right. Hike last the yellow gate and take the fire road all the way up!

Trail is mostly shades 80% of the way. The views are fantastic. It’s a bit rocky so wear sturdy shoes or boots. I did use my trekking poles but for this hike you don’t have to. The elevation gain is very gradual and comfortable.

Remember stay left all the way up the mountain. You see fantastic views of Cucamonga and Mount Baldy from the top.

At the top there is a 360 view! It was hot and there is no shade. There is a US geological Marker if you walk all the way to the end of the metal pallets on the floor to the edge toward the city is right there on the left side.

This trail is dog friendly. But please keep them on a leash. The nats were relentless so wear bug stray and a hat that covers your ears.

Have fun stay safe and remember your 10 essentials for hiking.

I think this place does need a clean up hike. I saw a lot of toilet paper at the top in some
Areas.

Good trail for beginners whether you're doing a morning run or hiking, also nice views if the weather and time is right when you get to the peak the cities below will be covered by clouds.

Great hike, great scenery. Perfect if your hust starting

About 7.3 miles round trip. There are two forks in the road, just keep climbing up..or remember, left and left. All in all a nice hike for beginners. Trekking poles not needed.

Saw a horned toad lizard. Good workout. Great view of the sunset and mars

The parking lot is no longer available. There are No Parking and Fire Lane signs. We had to park on the side of the road.

We arrived at 6:30 and finished in 3 hours. About 45 minutes was just taking in the views and taking pictures. This is a great hike to take a beginner on since most of it is on a fire road but you still get the amazing views and a bit of rocky terrain. If you’re going early morning or after sundown, I suggest taking bug spray and a bandana. The gnats are horrible on the trail!

Overall, the hike was ok, but the views made up for it.

Great bike trail not usually to crowded. As always start early gets hot in Mt Baldy. Have seen rattlesnakes and deer on this trail so pay attention. Great views from the peak.

This is a well maintained fire road, perfect for a long morning hike with your dog. The road has beautiful views and vistas. Great view of Baldy at the summit. Just be sure to use some natural bug spray.

Amazing view.

love the climbing

Good hike . trail is pretty straight forward just follow the paths that go up and you'll get there!

Trail is just South of Glendora Ridge Rd and just East of the truck parking. You’re looking for a large yellow gate that is somewhat hidden

View at the top is sick!!

Great trail, long steady hill to hike with a beautiful view!

Great view in top of mountain

Love this trail up the ridge is a pretty tough climb but so much fun and beautiful views.

I started at the "yellow gate" at 4:30 pm, unsure of how long it would take me to get to the summit and back with the sunset being around 7:30 pm. I did not have a map with me and it was an obvious trail to follow but I did come to (2) forks in the road.....The first one was just about 1.75 miles in and I remembered there was a trail that ran parallel to GMR road, so I took a left at the fork and continued to follow the motor way. The second fork I was really unsure of which way to go so I continued straight on the trail for about another .75 miles and the trail continued to descend in elevation, so I deducted that I must have to turn around and head back to the fork. I went back to the fork and turned left and that followed around the motor way right to the summit of Sunset Peak. I then proceeded south and made my way down the single track back to where the fork in the road was and headed back down. All in all it took me 2:13 minutes at 8.29 miles. I had plenty of time to make it up to the summit and back down without losing any day light. I had passed 3 hikers on my way down and 1 mountain bike rider. Easy trail......Cheers

This was a fairly easy trail that had a gentle uphill slope to the top. The service road narrows down a bit as you get closer to the top, but never so much that the trail seems precarious. The gravel and rocks on the path also increases as you approach the summit. We walked under shade for most of the walk and found some rocks to sit on and have lunch at the end. It made for a nice long walk that anyone could do. We went on a Friday and only encountered one other person. Maybe that number increases as sunset approaches.
Note: If you are coming up Baldy Road, turn left at Glendora Ridge Road right before the Fire Station, go in about a mile until you see the yellow gate on the left.

fairly easy hike gradual incline. Nice views. would do it again.

This was a great conditioning hike. It felt fairly easy, just long. Intensity-wise, it reminded me of potato mountain, just longer. I believe it was closer to 8 miles than 7.3 though. I went on 2/19/18 and it was cold! There was some frost over a lot of the trail. The peak was not very prominent and was a little anticlimactic, but it was a nice hike. I would recommend it.

Tip for Directions: Glendora Ridge Rd is before the visitor's center in Baldy village. So if you hit the Visitor Center, you need to turn around!

Nice, easy hike overall. I personally am not a big fan of the hikes on off-road trails/roads, and this one is one of those, but there are nice views with lots of shade. Did this hike for the sunset and it lives up to it’s name. Solid views of the sunset. The only downside is how the trail is an unpaved road.

Nice trail. This is a good hike for beginners. Trail is shaded 80% of the way.

This hike isn’t a short distance so bring your snacks and water AT LEAST. I saw a couple of people carrying nothing.

This trail was easy to navigate, the elevation gain was smooth, had trekking poles but could have easily done this trail without them. A lot of shade provided by trees during the first part of the trail. Really great views at the top and along the trail. Not too many people, but I did go on a Sunday. Can't wait to go back.

Easy hike great views of the Valley(clouds hid the valley view from us) as well as the mountains to the East.

Always a fun hike.

Just spoke with the ranger station yesterday and they confirmed that the entire national forest will be closed due to the gov't shutdown.

Greetings Fellow Hikers!
Does anyone know if the access road will be open in the near future? Hoping to head up the weekend of the 27th.