Sunset Hills Trail

Sunset Hills Trail is a 3.5 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Thousand Oaks, California that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

No lake anywhere in site. Pretty boring, you just walk along tract homes

Not a good trail

We hiked this trail in December, but it was still very sunny and hot. Hats are a must. There is more elevation than I expected for a trail rated EASY. As long as you’re not expecting a trail your grandmother could do easily, you’ll love it. The views are amazing! We could see not only the ocean but one of the Channel Islands as well. Since there are trailheads and parking on both ends, you could do this hike as a shuttle. Best to go from Sunset Hill to Erbes for the views.

Starts off with decent climb then levels out. When staying with friends in T.O. it was a nice workout off the street.

We added on the extra 1.1mi loop and that was the only decent part, it had views of the reservoir and of Simi Valley. The rest of the hike was along a barb wire fence and near houses. Also the hike seemed more moderate than easy with multiple inclines.

Do not hike this trail!!!! I went yesterday with my friend and they just cut the grass, there where rattle snakes everywhere. One even got close to my feet. It's getting hotter and the days are longer so just be safe out there.

Honestly this hike has some really nice moderate hills and great views!
It's super green right now from the rain, so it is beautiful, I did run I to a snake, so just stay alert.
It's a good work out, we took a longer route than added up to 5.4 miles.

Pretty easy trail nothing crazy. You climb first then it's gradual but even the initial climb is a joke when you compare with other serious hikes like mount Langley :)

If you live in the area and not going anywhere big it's great!

Maybe I'm just out of shape but the first half of this hike is uphill and challenging. The end view with the reservoir is beautiful. There flowers along the way right now and are gorgeous as well. We did see a scorpion on the trail so keep a look out for critters. Also there were cool shell fossils in the rocks at the entrance of the trailhead!! Pretty awesome to see since we were so inland. One more tip: there is a small unmarked parking area. Be sure to cross the street to get to this trail. If you go up the trail attached to parking area, it won't take you to this trail. Learned that the hard way. Overall, great hike!

Friday, February 17, 2017

I totally got lost. I went trail blazing with my dog, running across rattlesnake holes. We crawled through barbwire fence together, but made it to the water tower. It was overlooking the water and was amazing. The hike was so worth it. It took me 5 miles round trip. If you go the right way it will be shorter and a lot easier haha. I think my way was more fun though!

Tuesday, November 01, 2016

Basically a view of houses the whole way. I don't care to see houses, I can just walk around my neighborhood if I want to see houses. If you like to be in nature during a hike, this is not for you.

Friday, September 02, 2016

Good hills for running, great views. Do the extra lollipop loop at the end for a couple shady spots in the afternoon.

Monday, August 01, 2016

Very nice trail, not as scenic as it use to be because of the drought.

Sunday, June 12, 2016

Fun trail

Saturday, June 04, 2016

It was easy but the group kept hearing the sound of the rattle snake , it was pretty scary n we got lost just finding the area , worst hike of my life.

Sunday, May 22, 2016

This trail was challenging for me as a beginner in hiking. But totally doable. Beautiful scenery. Several offshoots so if your end game is Bard Reservoir, be sure to keep heading in that direction, which coming from Sunset Hills would be taking the trails to he right. Beautiful scenery and flowers. Not a real busy trail either. Ran into 3 people in 4 miles. Nice.

Sunday, June 14, 2015

For what it is, not bad! A bit challenging in parts.

Saturday, May 09, 2015

This is a great trail for beginners. It is nestled between 3 gated communities, and demonstrates how the outdoors can be preserved while the surrounding area is being developed. Most of the elevation is gained at the start, but after that the trail is relatively easy. Most the trail sits well above the 3 gated communities giving a nice view of them. At the most, it takes an hour.
This is a good trail for a weekend morning warm-up, and is not very heavily used considering its location among the 3 developments.