Sunset and Big Laguna Loop To Big Laguna Lake

easyYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(117)
Cleveland National Forest

Sunset and Big Laguna Loop To Big Laguna Lake is a 4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Pine Valley, California that offers the chance to see wildlife and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 4.0 miles Elevation Gain: 354 feet Route Type: Loop

Directions from Mt. Laguna, CA: Sunset Trail can be found at The Meadows, mile marker 19.9, along Sunrise Scenic Byway.

Great trail. Took grandparents and kids and they thought it was lovely.

Amazing day hiking this beautiful trail. Perfect for families! Didn’t see any trash (which is always a plus)

Great family friendly trail, beautiful green grasses and flowers right now (April 2020)

Cold day about 45 and windy. Foggy at times. It was perfect.

great views, not a lot of people on the trail and a little cool and windy.

icy

Was here on 12/30 - lots of snow, not too overrun and some very slick icy spots. Absolutely gorgeous.

This trail is awesome and good for all skill levels. Very easy and "flat", there are hills but no steep inclines. The great thing is that you can make the hike as long as you want by combining any or all of the trails around Mount Laguna. Beautiful meadows and forests surround the trails. This trailhead is right off Sunrise Highway so be sure to have an Adventure Pass. As far as foot traffic goes you might see a fewband some mountain bikers but nothing crazy.

Great hike, flat and easy. Lots of mountain bikes. Looked like a fun bike path.

Beautiful! Sunset trail is a single track that we did not see another soul on

Somehow for me it only ended up being 2.5 miles but a great 2.5 mile hike -cool, forest, wildflowers big boulders.

Fri Apr 12 2019

Way too many mountain bikers off of sunset trail, but sunset trail was awesome.

Sun Dec 30 2018

Fun easy hike ❤️

Sun Sep 09 2018

Good hike up to the lake/pond. There was a lot of groups of mountain bikers. We went counter clockwise and the second half of the trail didn't allow mountain bikes so it was a bit calmer. Great views up to Cuyamaca.

Mon Aug 20 2018

This hike was nice! We went up Big Laguna Trail and down Sunset Trail. I would’ve been easier had we went up Sunset Trail & down to Big Laguna Trail. Luckily we didn’t encounter any snakes but I know there are some around the area. View on Sunset Trail is beautiful and the meadow on Big Laguna Trail is also beautiful. I’d do this trail again. We went on a Sunday around noon and saw quite a few bikers and hikers.

Sat Apr 07 2018

I really enjoyed this trail along with the pups.

Wed Jul 05 2017

I took my 5 month old black lab to do this hike last weekend. It was perfect! We climbed to the top of the hill and didn't see any other hikers until we made it back down to the meadow. We turned onto the Big Laguna trail to get in a longer hike and wound up hiking about 6.5 miles total. I brought barely enough water for the extended hike but luckily the lagoons are full right now so the dog had plenty and she even took a dip to cool off on the way back to Sunrise Highway. We took our time since this was the longest hike I've taken my dog on this far. We made it back to the car in about 3.5 hours. Not too strenuous, but the altitude at 5000+ ft makes the climb a bit more difficult so keep in mind. Lots of scenery and animals in the meadow. We saw deer and cattle. Lots of birds. One snake near the lagoon. It's a winner. I would do this hike again.

Thu Apr 13 2017

Great easy little hike. We took our sweet time and enjoyed the journey and the stunning views.

recorded Recording - May 28, 06:38 AM