Sunset and Big Laguna Loop To Big Laguna Lake

Sunset and Big Laguna Loop To Big Laguna Lake is a 4 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Pine Valley, California that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Mt. Laguna, CA: Sunset Trail can be found at The Meadows, mile marker 19.9, along Sunrise Scenic Byway.

This hike was nice! We went up Big Laguna Trail and down Sunset Trail. I would’ve been easier had we went up Sunset Trail & down to Big Laguna Trail. Luckily we didn’t encounter any snakes but I know there are some around the area. View on Sunset Trail is beautiful and the meadow on Big Laguna Trail is also beautiful. I’d do this trail again. We went on a Sunday around noon and saw quite a few bikers and hikers.

I really enjoyed this trail along with the pups.

Wednesday, July 05, 2017

I took my 5 month old black lab to do this hike last weekend. It was perfect! We climbed to the top of the hill and didn't see any other hikers until we made it back down to the meadow. We turned onto the Big Laguna trail to get in a longer hike and wound up hiking about 6.5 miles total. I brought barely enough water for the extended hike but luckily the lagoons are full right now so the dog had plenty and she even took a dip to cool off on the way back to Sunrise Highway. We took our time since this was the longest hike I've taken my dog on this far. We made it back to the car in about 3.5 hours. Not too strenuous, but the altitude at 5000+ ft makes the climb a bit more difficult so keep in mind. Lots of scenery and animals in the meadow. We saw deer and cattle. Lots of birds. One snake near the lagoon. It's a winner. I would do this hike again.

Thursday, April 13, 2017

Great easy little hike. We took our sweet time and enjoyed the journey and the stunning views.

recorded Sunset Trail