Sunday Peak Trail

Sunday Peak Trail is a 3 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Glennville, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 3.0 miles Elevation Gain: 1,069 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Directions from Wofford Heights: The trail begins at the Girl Scout Camp parking area on Forest Highway 90.

second time, actually lost trail this time due to the path formed by those who have gone to the other peak. you can tell where by the little star I formed on my recording omw down when I was making barriers with burnt logs. as last time there was no one on the trail but this time it was totally clear and could see lake Isabella, the needles, Sherman peak, monache mountain, sawtooth peak, brackenridge, tehachapi, mount pines and kern peak as well as the haze that is the sj valley. breezy and cool around 65. thorny bushes along the way, I recommend pants. lots of dust on this trail, large groups not recommended. as noted before, burnt but peaceful.

Not as bad in cool weather and numerous visitors have made the trail easier to follow so that's good. Still burned out near top but incredible view. Kinda rocky near top. There's parking for the trail but any road here is dirt and bumpy beyond the 155 or Portuguese pass. Didn't see a soul on the trail on a cold fall afternoon.

Read the previous review. My family went on this hike and due to the burn, there was no shade and full sun made the hike more difficult. We lost the trail because it was so charred and obviously did not have enough traffic. We turned around after a couple miles never reaching the peak. I gave it two stars because we got a good workout and I thought the burn area was beautiful in a mysterious way. Most likely will not go back in the future.

Thu Sep 06 2018

Wouldn’t recommend hiking this trail. Wait till vegetation has grown back. The road up to this trail is pretty bad, full of pot holes and loggers. The trail isn’t high enough to be cool. Also due to a fire most of the trail is very fine and loose dirt. This causes a multitude of problems. 1) as you walk you kick up dust and dirt which not only gets you very dirty but can get in your eyes and make it hard breath. This coupled with the heat is very unpleasant. 2) since there is no vegetation it is nearly impossible to keep on the trail. The trail isn’t used enough to where the trail is outlined enough. When I went up I lost the trail and ended up climbing the largest hill near me. The views there were alright but not worth the trouble.

Sun Oct 08 2017

A short trail , going mostly through a burned forest. Views from the top are nice. It was very windy up there. Since the trail was short , I tried to climb other hills along the way. I was the only one along the trail. The road leading there is rough and on a single lane - so watch out for vehicles coming ahead. All and all - an OK trail. Note : Nearby is lake Isabella - I went just to relax and watch the view for an hour. If you are already in the area - visit the lake !

Sun Jul 09 2017

nice hike, moderate rating is accurate. the region is post but still good views

Wed Jan 25 2017

great trail.

Sun Oct 30 2016

To be fair, I'm sure this trail was much better before the fire. However, 70-80% of the trail is charred earth, with nothing left except for the area right at the trailhead and at the peak. The views from the top still can't be topped in the area, so persevere all the way through to the top and enjoy the panoramas from the summit.

Sun Oct 02 2016

I came to hike this trail having no idea just a few days prior a man started a forest fire that burned basically all the forest up. Luckily the trail was still fairly easy to follow. The view at the top was still worth it. Would love to come back when things grow back up.

Sun Jul 24 2016

The view at the top is so worth the effort to get there. The hike itself is moderate but it is a little bit of a drive to get there. An old forest hike.

Tue Jul 19 2016

I came up to Sunday Peak in the winter months and the road was closed off to get to the trail and I was never able to do it. I had heard it to be gorgeous, but to experience first hand how beautiful the view was this past Sunday (7/17) was pretty shocking. To say the view and feel of the trail is beautiful is just an understatement. I quite fell in love with such a 'forest-y' feel. There were only two groups there. But we passed ways with each other. It was mostly quiet and serene. I recommend doing this hike alone or with someone you love dearly. Will probably go again in the fall. Easily one of my favorites.

Mon Jul 18 2016

Incredible 360 view. I will definitely come back up on a clear / smog-free day. Would recommend a 4x4 vehicle and I would not feel comfortable with a full ton truck as the truck route up can be very windy and narrow. At a good pace, 45 minutes - 1 hour up, 45 minutes down. Write something great in the notebook jar at the top! Look forward to reading them when I hike it again.

Tue Jul 12 2016

90° in Lake Isabella, 70° on the trail, mid July. I did this hike in about an hour, trailhead to summit and 45 minutes summit to trailhead. Brush is minimal so shorts are acceptable. Steep at beginning and end, middle is pretty easy. I recommend a 4x4 or a vehicle with ground clearance, although I did it in a Jetta at 15 mph, once you leave the pavement it becomes very rough. It's about 6 miles off the pavement to the trailhead. Great views and a trail you can do in an afternoon. I will be hiking this trail again.

Mon Jul 11 2016

This is a short steep hike. It's just over a mile and a half to the top. The trail is shaded most of the way. Trail is pretty well maintained. There are a couple of trees across the path but they are easy to get over. Make a sharp left at the sign (look up you'll see the sign on the tree). Once you get to the top you have to scramble up over a couple of boulders. It's not to bad. Would be better if the bushes were cut back. Then there'd be a direct path. The top is worth the effort. Make sure you sign the book in the jar. Take a moment to enjoy the vast view.

Sun Jun 12 2016

Quick & refreshing. Great panoramic views from the peak. Not much shade at the peak but a great place to feel like your on top of the world with nature & your thoughts. Great time & it didn't take very long at all.

Mon Jul 06 2015

Very fun. Basically all up-hill on the way there, but the incline wasn't too bad. Great views of the Kern River Valley from the top. We did this in mid-October and the weather was perfect. Cool, breezy and sunny. Good tree cover. Not too crowded.

Mon Jun 08 2015

Great trail! It's well maintained and marked. It's pretty steep on the way up. Definitely moderate and not 'easy'. There's plenty of shade along the way and some nice sunny spots too. We only saw two other groups of people on our hike. Vey quiet and lovely.

Sat Apr 13 2013

Cold that day.. snow on the ground in the shade of the trees. FUN :)

Sun Dec 02 2012

Easy hike with about 1400' elevation gain. Great views of Sequoia National forest and monument.

Thu Aug 11 2011

This is an easy hike its a good trail to take the family on and the views are great,the trail is also in good condition.

Sat Aug 25 2018