Summit Lake Loop

Summit Lake Loop is a 13.6 mile out and back trail located near Springville, California that features a lake. The trail is only recommended for very experienced adventurers and primarily used for hiking and backpacking. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Walk through the Long Meadow Giant Sequoia Grove, follow up the headwaters of the Tule River, cross through meadows, and eventually make the hard uphill climb to Summit Lake.

Did this as a day trip. Beautiful, but you pay the price. The first 1.5 - 2 miles is down hill mostly. Then, it's up hill! There are some pretty strenuous sections unless you are pretty fit. End result is very nice. One problem .... because the up hill section caused you to work out, forgetting about the first 1.5-2 miles is easy. It wasn't until returning to that section that I remembered about it. I hated that last stretch. I was already breast, but had no choice. I slept well that day!

There are 3 creek crossings. The first one would be pretty difficult in times of high water ... i.e. snow melt in the spring or shortly after a down pour. keep weather in mind. One good thing ... water was plentiful, so didn't need to pack a lot.

Beautiful trail. Moderate inclines for the first 5 miles out as the trail generally follows the river, and then kicks up for 3 steeper miles as you climb to Summit Lake. Round trip was completed in 1 day, about 5hrs on the trail.

Went later in the season (Sept 2017), just as the higher elevations got their first dusting of snow. Mid 30s at night at the lower elevation (met a hunter on the trail that claimed it got down to 20 up at the lake). 40s for most of the hike.

Wish that I had more time to spend at the lake and exploring towards Maggie Lakes. Would absolutely recommend the hike, and it seemed like a great place to camp if you time it right.

This is a great trip through the giant sequoias but you'll pay for it. The hike is very steep and has stream/river crossings so be prepared

Friday, April 14, 2017

On a recommendation we chose this as our very first backpacking trip. It was MUCH harder than we had expected and I would not recommend this trail for beginners. We spent only one night and despite the difficulty of the trail (mostly the last stretch) it was a great trip. Beautiful lake, nice camping area and lots of wildflowers along the way. We took this trip in August 2014.