Suicide Rock Trail

Suicide Rock Trail is a 6.3 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Idyllwild-Pine Cove, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 6.3 miles Elevation Gain: 1,853 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Great view of Strawberry Valley, streams, and the lovely San Jacintos. This is a beautiful relatively easy (but very uphill) hike through the lush wonders of the San Jacintos. You will enjoy every minute. Suicide Rock is a great place to peer over the edge and contemplate life. You can also wonder what life might have been like for the Cahuilla version of Romeo and Juliet who legend says ended their lives here. The views are standard fare for the San Jacinto Wilderness - that is amazing. You get a great shot across Strawberry Valley at Lily Rock and Tahquitz Peak, and you can take in the heights looking up at Marion Mountain and Jean Peak. Don't miss the short trek to the peak, where there is a register in a smiley face can at the top. Feel free to explore all around the edge of Suicide Rock, there are plenty of viewing platforms, but do be careful near the edge.

1 hour ago

The gnats continue to be an issue. I would not recommend this hike until they diminish. This hike is a favorite of ours and the bugs ruined the experience. Moderate steep sections. For the most part very solid footing. Beautiful view at the top of the trail.

A lot of gnats on my way up that made things frustrating at times; just keep moving. Great view at the top. Well maintained trail. I saw one couple in my way up and one on my way down. Highly recommend this easy/moderate hike. GPS said it was 7.4 miles.

The first two miles up was rough with all the bugs (gnats?). As we gained some elevation and the temperatures cooled under the shade of the tall trees, the bugs subsided and the trail leveled off a bit. Once you get to the suicide rock area the views are quite spectacular. Next time I will load up with bug replant and a hat with a mosquito net. Yes, the bugs were that bad! But again, all worth it in the end. :)

Great hike early morning. Sat on suicide rock by our selves. Way too many gnats made the decent a bit unpleasant. Great hike. .

Nice hike. Not as difficult as I though it might be. I had cell coverage for more than 95% of the time, very nice for safety sake. Parking was a little tough.

Addressing the GNAT problem...they certainly are a GNuisance and at times were downright aGNnoying, but most of the time we didn't even GNotice them. Its a very GNice hike. Ha. Seriously, I was a little worried about the critters, but it wasn't that bad. Its a beautiful hike, a manageable incline. and plenty of shady spots. We clocked closer to 8 miles. The view at the top is spectactular. Make sure you get the wilderness pass!!

This is a great hike! But that might be the beer talking. We started this hike at 8:30 (the wilderness passes are available 24 hours a day 1/2 mile down the road-“blue copy in the box, white copy in your pocket” says Park Ranger Joyce) I would start earlier if I was do again. I wish I would have taken serious the comments on gnats because they consumed a lot the enjoyment. Get a hat with a net if that sort of thing bothers you. We clocked this at 7.5 miles but we took a couple detours. You can extend your hike..I will post a sign you will see about 2 miles up the mountain.. Once you are at the top you forget all about the gnats because the views are gnat/bug free! Read about the Cahuilla legend associated with Suicide Rock. Feel the past history of these mountain ranges and all the lives who have lived here before us. Then head to Idyllwild Brew Pub for a beer to reward yourself! We did!

Make sure to fill out a day pass at the center. One person per group. Great hike and take your time.

Beautiful. Manageable incline all the way up, stunning views. The gnats were almost intolerable. I would absolutely bring a hat with netting to hike this area again. You do need a permit.

Great day hike. A little buggy this time of year. Wonderful views. We Sven saw a deer on the way back down.

Great varied terrain up to the lookout. Some bugs bothered us throughout but nothing that bit or stung. Get to the trailhead early as parking fills up. Would recommend and do again!

Very nice hike. Great view from the top. Can get hot in the summer months.

Great easy hike with minimal elevation. No dogs allowed, and you need to get a permit for this trail in town before hiking.

Longer than it says. Start early, by 9am to avoid the heat. Up hill all the way there, but worth it when you get there.

Could've been much more enjoyable if it weren't for so many bugs.

This is one of my favorite hikes in Idyllwild! Nicely marked trail, moderate elevation gain, and fantastic views at the top! Must do when in the area

We hiked this trail with our 12-year old daughter and small dog. We clocked it at 7.8mi from parking lot to peak. It’s a steady, moderate uphill, but not too strenuous. There are sections where the bugs are annoying, but they do not bite. Bug spray is irrelevant! We started at 9am and got back at 12:30pm. Would recommend leaving no later than 8am since it gets hot after 11am. There is a small stream about 3/4 mi from the top. Our dog loved playing in it.

This trail was a bit intense for me due to my compromised knee but I did it. I was a little ill prepared for some of the steep inclines and patches of rocky terrain. i doused myself with bug spray before I started but that didn't matter to them. All in all the view from the top was well worth it. I would gladly do it again next time being better prepared with proper shoes. This was a fun hike.

It was nice to revisit this trail. Beautiful, scenic and an amazing view at the top. List as 6.3 miles but I think it's more like 7 miles, at any rate it was a very nice journey.

This hike is definitely going to kick your butt, going to the end is 99% uphill. I stopped a few times to catch my breath due to the incline. But once you get to the end, it’s worth it! Beautiful view of the Idyllwild wilderness. FAIR WARNING: there are a TON of bugs, so come prepared.

this trail was longer than 6.3 miles but it is a good trail we made it all the way up and back. it's about 7.5 up and back, 3.7 each way. it ends with a huge rock called suicide rock, that gives you a view across the valley to Tahquitz peak which is the one we hiked yesterday.

Super easy hike with an incredible view. Get here early for sunrise as it does get hot in Idyllwild in the Summer and it's pretty exposed before you get to the Suicide Trail junction. You need a wilderness permit for this hike, there's a ranger station in Idyllwild with permits out front before the station even opens. Fill it out, leave one half at the station, take the other half with you in case a ranger asks to see it. We did most of this hike with backpacking gear on as we were headed up much much farther, but decided this would be a neat detour. The stream here is still flowing strong should you for some reason need to refill. The forest is enchanting and the view of Tahquitz from the edge is incredible. Very good beginner's hike, hard to get lost and the payoff is some incredible scenery.