Suicide Rock Trail

Suicide Rock Trail is a 6.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Idyllwild, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round.

Great view of Strawberry Valley, streams, the lovely San Jacintos This is a beautiful relatively easy (but very uphill) hike through the lush wonders of the San Jacintos. You will enjoy every minute. Suicide Rock is a great place to peer over the edge and contemplate life. You can also wonder what life might have been like for the Cahuilla version of Romeo and Juliet who legend says ended their lives here. The views are standard fare for the San Jacinto Wilderness - that is amazing. You get a great shot across Strawberry Valley at Lily Rock and Tahquitz Peak, and you can take in the heights looking up at Marion Mountain and Jean Peak. Don't miss the short trek to the peak, where there is a register in a smiley face can at the top. Feel free to explore all around the edge of Suicide Rock, there are plenty of viewing platforms, but do be careful near the edge.

Great!

Stunning views. Easy hike.

Nice easy trail with an incredible view at the top!!! It is starting to get a little cool at the top but it sure beats the summer heat!! Found a good spot for a hammock nap at the top too!

Just did this hike in August and have to say I was surprised how easy it was. The trail is sometimes not marked well and you can get off trail very easily. So keep your eyes straight if not you will be off trail. The mileage is off a tad it was 7.1 miles round trip.

Hiked this back in March, I went solo and it was such a peaceful and beautiful hike. I saw maybe 6 others on the way up and less on the way down. I had the top to myself for a good 30 minutes. Be sure to just take a seat on the large surface rock and soak it all in. Offers some incredible views! Get a trail permit!

Lovely trail, well maintained and easy to follow. Close to the top it’s harder to distinguish, so keep the canyon on your left and keep going up. Cool and nicely shaded, with great views throughout and then at the top. Seems well-travelled, and on a Thu the parking area was full by 11am when we returned. Took us 4 hrs, and measured out at close to 7.5 miles

Great hike - about 7 miles rather than 6.1 - took about an hour and 20 on the way up going at a good pace without stopping. Saves all the views for a beautiful reveal moment right at the end. Suicide rock seems appropriately named - watch out for the cliff edges!

Beautiful trail! Don’t forget to get your trail permit at the ranger station (we did, but luckily didn’t get asked), there are multiple reminders along the trail to have a permit. About 8.5 miles round trip took 3-3 1/2 hours round trip including a long stop at the top to enjoy the views. Highly recommend it if you’re in the area!

Don’t forget your permit! Good training trail. A lot of evenly spaced ascending sections. Start early on sunny summer days. The first half of the trail is pretty exposed.

Start Early. Started at the trailhead just after sunrise and we had the trail to ourselves all the way up. Coming down we passed more than 20+ hikers. Great views from the top. Leave yourself an hour in your planning to explore at the trail crest.

Description here is good and other reviews sum it up nicely - definitely a nice day hike.

Fun Labor Day weekend hike. Good solid uphill for 3 miles but beautiful views from the top. A bit hot today for my preference.

Steady gentle incline a good hike for conditioning about 20-25* cooler than rancho mirage and low desert

Such a fun trail for all! Not too hard, not too easy! If it was a story book Goldilocks would love it! Corny but true! Great views! Pack a snack and enough water and you’ll be good!

A moderate, beautiful scenic hike. Lots of shade. Amazing views of mountains.

Just did Suicide Rock on Sunday (07/15/2018). Definitely a very hilly type climb right from the start of the trail. The trail is not well marked when you park. If you look for the sign that says, "Dear Head Trail" and park directly across from the sign, the trail is directly in front of the parking lot. You will need an Adventure Pass which can be purchased at the Pine Cove market about 2 minutes from the trail. I noticed a lot of people don't purchase a pass. This money helps go towards the preservation of these trails. Make sure you bring ample water. I went through six of the 16oz bottles. Some people didn't even bring water. (Crazy). It was well worth it to me once I reached the top. They also have rock climbers in the morning. So cool to watch....

this is now one of my favorite trails! it was spacious, not so narrow. it was nice and cool when we went at 6 am, and the top was a really neat view. I also hiked devils junction and this one seemed a little easier. we made great timing. we did see a baby rattle snake coiled up against a stepping rock on this trail so be aware and have a great hike.

Great hike. Took me forever because it was super hot and pretty difficult for me, although I was not in the best shape when I hiked it. The first two miles up were the hardest due to lack of shade and the last mile was a little easier and more shady. So beautiful. Easy to find the parking and trail head!

Beautiful views of the San Jacinto mountains. It is worth hiking a bit further up to Strawberry Junction for the views west to LA. Take lots of water. Blistering hot when I hiked it in late June.

nice trail. rocky at points but moderate
72 degrees at 10am took me 1hr 42 mins up and about 15 minutes faster coming down

Beautiful scenic views! The hike was comfortable and appropriate for hikers across the spectrum-from beginners to avid goers. Lots of shady rest stops thanks to the luscious greenery. There is a charming little town at the base that’s very quaint with lots of fun places to eat/drink/explore. Even had several Vegan friendly spots which was a pleasant surprise! Can picture this place equally if not more beautiful during the wintertime! Only disappointment was not having a booked room to spend the night in-next time for sure!

Did this hike twice in a weekend, once solo and once with the wife. It’s a wonderful trail and the views at the end are spectacular. Along the way, the scenery changes and there was lots of shade after the first mile or so. Fitbit suggested the hike is between 6.4-7miles but I guess it depends on how much you wander around the top. We got to the trail right at 6am. Would encourage an early start to beat the crowds and heat.

Amazing steep lush hike

Decent hike, not as interesting as other hikes we’ve been on.

Meh. It’s ok

hit the trail early was a long trail but we were onto of the clouds the view was awesome..

It is actually 7.5 miles according to my AllTrails recording. Beautiful views all through out the trail.

Loved it! Def more then the stated distance by my fiancées Garmin watch- closer to 9 miles in and out. steady moderate climb the whole way up- amazing views- I even saw a deer!

Great trail with a beautiful view and meditation spot for the half of your day.

Great Trail! Beautiful views and quite a workout for people like us that are still working on getting back in shape.