Suicide Rock Trail

Suicide Rock Trail is a 6.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Idyllwild, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round.

Great view of Strawberry Valley, streams, the lovely San Jacintos This is a beautiful relatively easy (but very uphill) hike through the lush wonders of the San Jacintos. You will enjoy every minute. Suicide Rock is a great place to peer over the edge and contemplate life. You can also wonder what life might have been like for the Cahuilla version of Romeo and Juliet who legend says ended their lives here. The views are standard fare for the San Jacinto Wilderness - that is amazing. You get a great shot across Strawberry Valley at Lily Rock and Tahquitz Peak, and you can take in the heights looking up at Marion Mountain and Jean Peak. Don't miss the short trek to the peak, where there is a register in a smiley face can at the top. Feel free to explore all around the edge of Suicide Rock, there are plenty of viewing platforms, but do be careful near the edge.

Just did Suicide Rock on Sunday (07/15/2018). Definitely a very hilly type climb right from the start of the trail. The trail is not well marked when you park. If you look for the sign that says, "Dear Head Trail" and park directly across from the sign, the trail is directly in front of the parking lot. You will need an Adventure Pass which can be purchased at the Pine Cove market about 2 minutes from the trail. I noticed a lot of people don't purchase a pass. This money helps go towards the preservation of these trails. Make sure you bring ample water. I went through six of the 16oz bottles. Some people didn't even bring water. (Crazy). It was well worth it to me once I reached the top. They also have rock climbers in the morning. So cool to watch....

this is now one of my favorite trails! it was spacious, not so narrow. it was nice and cool when we went at 6 am, and the top was a really neat view. I also hiked devils junction and this one seemed a little easier. we made great timing. we did see a baby rattle snake coiled up against a stepping rock on this trail so be aware and have a great hike.

Great hike. Took me forever because it was super hot and pretty difficult for me, although I was not in the best shape when I hiked it. The first two miles up were the hardest due to lack of shade and the last mile was a little easier and more shady. So beautiful. Easy to find the parking and trail head!

Beautiful views of the San Jacinto mountains. It is worth hiking a bit further up to Strawberry Junction for the views west to LA. Take lots of water. Blistering hot when I hiked it in late June.

nice trail. rocky at points but moderate
72 degrees at 10am took me 1hr 42 mins up and about 15 minutes faster coming down

Beautiful scenic views! The hike was comfortable and appropriate for hikers across the spectrum-from beginners to avid goers. Lots of shady rest stops thanks to the luscious greenery. There is a charming little town at the base that’s very quaint with lots of fun places to eat/drink/explore. Even had several Vegan friendly spots which was a pleasant surprise! Can picture this place equally if not more beautiful during the wintertime! Only disappointment was not having a booked room to spend the night in-next time for sure!

Did this hike twice in a weekend, once solo and once with the wife. It’s a wonderful trail and the views at the end are spectacular. Along the way, the scenery changes and there was lots of shade after the first mile or so. Fitbit suggested the hike is between 6.4-7miles but I guess it depends on how much you wander around the top. We got to the trail right at 6am. Would encourage an early start to beat the crowds and heat.

Amazing steep lush hike

Decent hike, not as interesting as other hikes we’ve been on.

Meh. It’s ok

hit the trail early was a long trail but we were onto of the clouds the view was awesome..

It is actually 7.5 miles according to my AllTrails recording. Beautiful views all through out the trail.

Loved it! Def more then the stated distance by my fiancées Garmin watch- closer to 9 miles in and out. steady moderate climb the whole way up- amazing views- I even saw a deer!

Great trail with a beautiful view and meditation spot for the half of your day.

Great Trail! Beautiful views and quite a workout for people like us that are still working on getting back in shape.

Great trail. Elevation wasn’t crazy. Good and steady. Trail is very well maintained. Lots of great spots for pictures. He views from the rock are outstanding. You could spend hours hanging around and checking all the spots. Would recommend this trail. Need a wilderness pass free at the ranger station. Free parking at the beginning of the trail but will get full pretty quick.

Beautiful trail, nice views, good hike for family

Great scenery along the trail, nice elevation gain and seemed clear of Poison Oak. It was a nice visit to Idyllwild.

Beautiful! did it on Sunday, March 18th with beautiful snow cover.

Very nice hike! Went on March 14 and it was a bit challenging since it had some rain and cold winds near the top but worth it!

Great end to a good hike. A little snowy still in March!

The trail meanders through pines and across a little running creek with peak a boo views of mountain peaks and forests as you climb. Once at top, just below the actual top top, are giant bouldered areas to sit and enjoy the surrounding spectacular views of Tahquitz Peak and Lily Rock. The sun was out, a bit chilly at the top, a lovely day for a hike! Bolted up to the top and found the coffee can with notes, journal and goodies.

Free hiking permit required. Permit can be obtained at the Ranger Station down the street. Trail is mostly uphill and moderately difficult. The view from Suicide Rock is worth the trek.

Light cover of snow all the way up and no wind—beautiful hiking conditions

Missed the register in the smiley face! Wish I’d known to look for it. Beautiful views. Very cold last weekend when we did this hike. Windy at the top but so worth it. Steady climb but not difficult.

Beautiful fun hike all the way through, and of course the view at suicide rock is amazing. The complete hike registered at 8 miles for us and took us 4 hours. That was with a couple of breaks and relaxing at suicide rock to soak in the view. On our way to the hike we pulled over and asked a ranger about the adventure pass, he said we did not need one if we were only going to hike the trail but on the way up the hike we saw a sign that said we had to have one. Not sure what the deal is with the pass but we didn't return for one and were fine. I would definitely return to hike this trail again, I would go early so that you have enough time to take a break at suicide rock, the air is crisp and fresh and the view is amazing.

Hiked to Suicide Rock and back. With a number of stops, took 5.5 hrs. Views were very nice at Suicide Rock but somewhat anti-climactic after 4 miles of hiking.

Great hike would recommend. Was challenging for me. You're supposed to have a wilderness permit to hike this trail. I know this because I got stopped by a friendly ranger last weekend and was reminded.

Good hike- took about 3 1/2 hours . We stopped at the top and chilled. Pretty and a good hike.

Don’t forget your hiking pass at the ranger station.
No dogs allowed

Great hike, beautiful scenery and lots of trees for shade! Even in our so called winter it was 67 degrees up there. At Suicide Rock the view is amazing and lots of flat rocks to have a nice lunch on and take it all in! It’s sunny at the rock so great photo op too. Good training hike for elevation gain.