Suicide Rock Trail

Suicide Rock Trail is a 6.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Idyllwild, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round.

6.7 miles 1958 feet Out & Back

Great view of Strawberry Valley, streams, the lovely San Jacintos This is a beautiful relatively easy (but very uphill) hike through the lush wonders of the San Jacintos. You will enjoy every minute. Suicide Rock is a great place to peer over the edge and contemplate life. You can also wonder what life might have been like for the Cahuilla version of Romeo and Juliet who legend says ended their lives here. The views are standard fare for the San Jacinto Wilderness - that is amazing. You get a great shot across Strawberry Valley at Lily Rock and Tahquitz Peak, and you can take in the heights looking up at Marion Mountain and Jean Peak. Don't miss the short trek to the peak, where there is a register in a smiley face can at the top. Feel free to explore all around the edge of Suicide Rock, there are plenty of viewing platforms, but do be careful near the edge.

From Idyllwild town take 243 highway towards the desert after the stop sign the trail is on the right hand side . Make sure you stop get parking pass and hike permits. Pretty nice hike, not a lot of shade if weather is hot make sure to take plenty of water, once you get to final fork you will see the sign to suicide rock trail . It could be sandy and rocky take comfortable shoes view is amazing just like Idyllwild itself . Make sure you have parking pass, rangers go randomly to check. have fun hikers

Harder than I thought it would be. I went in 4/17. Plenty of water in the creeks. Nice view of the valley and Taquitz peak and Lilly rock. When you get to the rock platform go through the bushes to get to the ledge. Be careful. Awesome hike. I think a good practice for Strawberry Cienega and the peak.

Good summer hike

An absolutely killer workout! Took everything I had to make it to the top. I have asthma and the elevation is killer! Well worth the trek, it is a gorgeous hike!

The hike starts out a bit dry and boring, but quickly gains elevation and winds through the forest. It offers gorgeous outlooks over the valley and the stream is running very beautifully right now. It definitely takes some effort to get to the top of the hill.
Worth it! Outstanding view from the top.

parking is right across from the nature center turn.
Look for Deer Springs Trailhead
Markers are scarce. The beginning can be a bit difficult to stay on the right path, but I recorded my trail with the alltrail app and that helped me to stay the course!

Will be doing this one again.

This is my favorite hike to date. The temperate weather and forests of Idyllwild take you out of the typical SoCal hike feel.

Pros: Suicide rock is a to-die-for destination, amazingly scenic, good hike as far as length and difficulty goes.

Cons: Altitude can be uncomfortable, need to get a permit from the ranger station, poor parking.

Beautiful!

My new favorite hike in So Cal. This was my first trip up to this area and it reminded me of Yosemite. Be prepared for the altitude if you are a low land/beach front person like me. And don't forget to stop at the Ranger Station in Idylwood and get your permit, which is not only required, it is free!! I sat at the summit and watched the sunset and then the full moon rose about 40 minutes later. Great spot if you like to hike under the full moon.

Second trail I've hiked. Hiking to the top was a feat, steep climbs with some difficulty for amateur hikers. Once we got to the top though, it was a breathtaking view and immaculate weather. Also, all of the other hikers we bumped into along the way we're very cordial and attentive to what was going on. I'd definitely do it again!