Sugarpine Mountain OHV Trail

Sugarpine Mountain OHV Trail is a 17.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near San Bernardino, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for off road driving and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 17.6 miles Elevation Gain: 4,343 feet Route Type: Out & Back

ohv / off road driving

off road driving

Very easy moderately used trail running along the 2n49 from Palm in San Bernardino through to the 138 across from Lake Silverwood. There are more challenging spurs. Did it in 4 high and didn’t bother to air down. A 2 wheel drive with truck level clearance will make it through on the main road easily. It’s a bit narrow so expect pin stripe scratching and to back up if you meet someone coming the other way.

off road driving

Like others have mentioned, great for beginners. Rockier than expected but nothing you can't manage. I didn't see the trail closed anywhere and I was able to go end to end. Drivers with larger rigs, be ready for one pinstripes. Much of the trail is overgrown but driveable. Lots of bugs this trip but I'll drive it again.

off road driving

It’s pretty good! there’s parts where you need 4x4 but not always a good skilled driver will do just fine with 2 wheel drive and clearance

One of my favorite trails mostly because it is a 10 minute drive to get there! I haven’t ever had an issue sharing the trail with vehicles. During the week I almost had the whole place to myself!

off road driving

It’s a great trail for some light to moderate off-road fun. Just know that is is narrow and the tree branches in the side are overgrown, you will scratch your car. Also, DO NOT GO INTO THE 2N45 exit. You will have to go through 2N45, then keep going through the 2N59 and exit through cleghorn. First of all, to enter the 2N45 exit there is a massive hill with Ruts. I went down through it, only to run into the road being closed. Trees and rocks covering it, hasn’t been used in a while. Turning back, I almost didn’t make it out. Extremely narrow and on the way up, you run the risk of rolling over. Even worse, if you don’t have lockers or a limited slip differential, you will need tons of momentum. Just don’t do it, no point. Other than that, it was a great trail, fairly easy!

off road driving

Took a stock 2019 Subaru Crosstrek. Went up 2N49 Sugarpine Mountain trail which branches off to 2N45 to 2N59 which ends up by Silverwood Lake. Rocky/bumpy at multiple parts. Overgrown slightly which could result in light scratches. Some ruts towards the beginning that can be easily maneuvered. No downed trees or boulders. Don't be afraid to go up im a beginner and had a great time with the wife and the pup.

nice view great for familys..

off road driving

Had a great time running this trail with my wife and dog today. My wife can’t handle anything too hardcore, so this was a good compromise. It has plenty of short off shoot trails that range from easy to difficult. 2N45 is uncrossable a short distance after it intersects 2N59. I turned around and took 2N59 to Cleghorn Rd. The tree referenced above has been cut up and moved out of the way.

off road driving

Super fun trail I took my stock wrangler down it. There's a bunch of things to climb and other trails to take. I ended up going off the trail and ended up on the edge of world high way. Was out here for about 3 hours I highly recommend. Not for beginners.

Had a blast with the family today, the Jeep JL wrangler had no problems. Got some beautiful pictures.

Rutted in areas, but workable in the Landcruiser.

closed

Great trail for a beginner like us but there was a huge downed tree that blocked the road a bit past the 2N45 junction. We back tracked and took the 45 up. Hit one pretty large rut that might have been easier if not for all the snow. Two of the rigs got stuck and had to be pulled out. Group effort helped fill it with rocks and we were on our way.

off road driving

NOT FOR HIKING. Hikers, I do not recommend this trail if you are on foot. The off-road vehicle community does not want to share this trail with hikers so be warned. A dirt biker came dangerously close to our group of 6 women hiking on foot with our dogs on a straight away (not a curve). The trail was really windy today so we couldn’t hear him coming (that should’ve been our first red flag), he flew past us and honked afterward. So glad I moved to San Diego where people are far more courteous to each other...

Hiked on foot, it begin at the end of the neighborhood of Palm Ave and you can park right on side of the street for free (if you’re not taking your vehicle up). 17.5mile trail. I went up 2.5 miles, only seen one car coming down other than that empty. Beautiful scenic views of the mountains, hills and city below!!! That was only 2.5 miles then I went back down the same way I came up, only took about 2 hours and 15min. 100% worth it. Gets steep at some point but nothing to be worried about if you’re relatively healthy. Wear good shoes because it’s mainly gravel, will be stepping on lots of rocks (can you tell I’m new to hiking)

off road driving

Sunday 11/25. Trail was in good repair. Not quite wide enough for a Full Size Bronco at some points. Luckily it’s not a new paint job. Trail had some amazing views of the valley below. Easy rating is correct. There were a few off shoots that allowed me to flex the Bronco a bit @ Momentum Pt. Enjoyed the run. Followed 2N49 out to Cleghorn Rd. by Silverwood Lake.

Overall easy trail with some great views. easy terrain just horrible trail rash, so if you dont want your vehicle to get scratched dont use this trail. Also I tried taking 2N45 to exit to the 138 and had to turn back, I know it turns into a black diamond rd after the fork with the 2N59 but I had to turn back because it was overgrown with brush and tree branches it looks like that part of it is not used anymore. So make sure that you take the 2N59 when you get to the fork. I started at palm st and ended at the 138 just south of the lake.

off road driving

Went night riding in my 98 zj. No fun offshoots. Trail options to finish south of silverwood lake

Monday, September 03, 2018

Frank Perez, you will be fine on your truck the only issue i would see is that you will get bushes and trees wacking your sides of the truck and most likley scratching the surface of the truck(i came out the trail full of dirt leaves and scratches). if you are ok with this then yea go for it, for ground clearance im sure most stock vehicles would be ok especially a truck, youll have fun its all part of wheeling anyways.

Thursday, August 23, 2018

I plan on going there soon. I have a 2015 Ram 2500 LONG BED. ON 35s and not leveled, it's a tall stock truck. Do you think I will have trouble on the narrow parts of the trail considering I have a long bed 8 foot bed truck? Especially if I need to turn it around 180 to go back down?

Wednesday, July 25, 2018

Pretty nice and easy trail some challenging areas but nothing for a Cherokee XJ, compared to last months Cleghorn run this was a piece of cake.

Monday, July 02, 2018

This trail is great for beginners. Very rocky at some points. The only thing I didnt like was all the bushes sticking out into the road. Got the side of my trucked scratched up pretty bad and it’s unavoidable. Also be careful lots of rattlesnakes