Sugarpine Mountain OHV Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(135)
San Bernardino National Forest

Sugarpine Mountain OHV Trail is a 17.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near San Bernardino, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for off road driving and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 17.6 miles Elevation Gain: 4,343 feet Route Type: Out & Back

ohv / off road driving

ohv/off road driving

This is a great trail for off roading. I have a stock 2019 Jeep Wrangler Moab edition with mud tires. This is truly intermediate course with some deep ruts and loose rocks and few offshoots for you to have extra fun which I did. Scenery changes as you drive up with different views to cities, mountains and a lake. Many areas are quite narrow for even 1 car to pass with overgrown bushes on either side. You will definitely get scratches on the sides. Be careful with oncoming traffic for it is very narrow with drop on one side and hill on the other. When I was driving up, I had to back up quite awhile for other car to pass. I bypassed the top part of the guided trail but went all the way to the Silverwood Lake instead of in and out. It was much more fun. I took 2N49 to Cleghorn Rd. I would do this again in different season.

ohv/off road driving

Went out today to this trail for the first time and was great. Went in my 2015 jk. Ran the trail all the way to the top and turned around. Would highly recommend! Took about a good 3 hours total for the trail.

ohv/off road driving

Good adventure. We went up deep into the fog. Lots of overgrown brush lots of pinstripes after this. Some washed out and deep ruts. Great ride

ohv/off road driving

Fairly easy trail. Some big ruts today from the rains but overall it was pretty easy. Did get a bit bumpy with rocks covering the entire road at some parts but nothing truck couldn't handle (even saw a subaru up there) and only made it to monument peak and ended up turning around at that point.

ohv/off road driving

Great trail in the start then it gets a bit rocky but nothing too crazy. We were going up pretty steady until we came up to a crew recovering a Jeep off the side of the cliff. 5 hours later we continued along and took the split that runs with the power lines and that was a nice groomed trail. Definitely need AWD or 4x4. We had two Subaru Crosstreks and a Forester and they handled just fine with just 28” BF Goodrich all terrain tires but stock height. A few times we were on two wheels but definitely a fun trail with a great view.

ohv/off road driving

No gates The river under the bridge is beautiful

One of the few trails that are still open. Followed the trail up to Monument Peak, went off trail to Powerlines Road then to 2N59. Came out to 138. Awesome views of the lake.

ohv/off road driving

Stock 19 4Runner. Was 2WD most of the time but used 4WD at some points. Was only second trail so some parts I had to take it real slow but nothing I couldn’t handle. Definitely a good trail to learn on and there are some pretty solid views of the city. Although, when we made to the point were you turn to get to the peak, the trail just ended.

ohv/off road driving

Great and easy beginner trail - there was no snow or ice today. There was a tree fallen on the trail about 6.5 miles in, which was basically the top of the mountain. Not too bad, could easily be done in a stock Jeep. The view at the top is worth it and you can expect to be there and back in about an hour and a half.

ohv/off road driving

The trail is not too challenging. My group and I were on 2H a majority of the time. There is an off-shoot pretty early on where you can have some 4WD action. The trail is pretty overgrown. Our group got pinstriped pretty good. We turned around at the sign of ice/slush. Overall, there weren't many off-shoots to practice your 4WD. It was a bumpy/rocky fire road most of the time.

ohv/off road driving

Easy trail going up, a bit trashy at first and greeted by the local homeless, but a great Truck trail nonetheless. Get a bit rocky/scramble as you go up and a tad overgrown so expect some light trail tattoos. Other than that nice and easy no lift needed but a decent 4x4 or AWD will suffice

Super easy, for beginners. Had no problems in my Jeep until I hit snow....

icy

There’s piles of trash at the beginning which is sad to see. About 15 minutes in the trail there is a few washed out ruts that may require high clearance or 4WD. Furthermore, trail road all the way with a few rocky sections (not boulders) and icy to snowy roads. Most of the way up is one lane with few open turns if there’s any vehicle that need to pass. Other than that it’s a scenic drive up.

Have hiked several times..