Learn more

Sugarloaf Ridge Vista Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(25)
Sugarloaf Ridge State Park

Sugarloaf Ridge Vista Trail is a 4.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Kenwood, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 4.7 miles Elevation Gain: 1,354 feet Route Type: Out & Back

A really fun trail! A bit of a climb up to the vista trail but once you get there, it’s super nice. It’s shaded in some parts but not in other parts so wear sunscreen. After the trail ended, I used the blue dotted line to get back to the parking lot.

This was a wonderful hike. I hiked up Lower Bald Mountain Trail to reach the Ridge Vista Trail and returned by Meadow Tr. Lower Bald Mt. was slow for me with some of the steeper inclines (I am not super athletic). It was a joy to reach Ridge Vista. Great views, nice changes in scenery and vegetation as you descend. Just a couple of areas are rocky going down, so if you are unsteady hiker, take care. Perhaps bring hiking poles. It took me just under two hours. I will definitely be coming back.

Tue May 28 2019

Easy steady incline with a great view!

Sun May 05 2019

Today, I hiked Lower Bald Mountain Trail to Vista Trail and back to the Observatory. It was a very scenic and moderate hike. I enjoyed hiking alongside the creek and listening to the gurgling sounds of the water. I would definitely go back to hike this and other trails in the park. It was disheartening to see the burnt remains of the trees affected by last year's wild fires. Otherwise it was a beautiful hike.

Sun Apr 14 2019

A gorgeous hike, the nicest we made in 5 days in Sonoma. Went 4 miles clockwise from the parking lot. Beautiful with diverse scenery from towering oaks to wildfire ravaged groves to flower covered meadows to a beautiful stream at the flat bit at the end. Terrific level stretch at the top with has tremendous views of Napa to the east and we could see the marine layer over the Pacific to the west. Saw a small herd of 7 or so deer, as well as some singles . Just great, perfect for two moderately in shape 50 year olds

Mon Mar 26 2018

Great views and not too difficult if your used to a semi long hike.

Wed Jan 24 2018

Unless you are an experienced hiker and fit - I am not - this would be a moderate trail. I was here to help with some trail work after the fires and only hiked about a mile of the trail and it was slow going for me. Keep in mind I'm new to walking/hiking trails and I was carrying a wet 4"x6"x4' fence post. It was beautiful the whole way though. I'm looking forward to hiking the whole trail after I've gained more experience.

Fri Jul 28 2017

Moderate for sure, beautiful all the way up and down.

Tue Jul 25 2017

Awesome trail. Great views. Good workout.

Sat Jul 02 2016

Nice views, wanders around.

Sun Jul 12 2015

The hike was more a leisurely stroll. The wow factor was definitely the diverse foliage that we came across going through the different terrains. The view from the top of the trail was limited due to the obstructive surrounding hills and mountains. Still, a good all around hike.

Wed Aug 20 2014

A moderate hike with steep climb up to the ridge and down to the valley. Nice views of the surrounding mountains and valleys.

recorded Recording - Jul 30, 1:03 PM