Sugarloaf Hill

Sugarloaf Hill is a 1.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near San Mateo, California that offers scenic views and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Climb to the top of Sugarloaf Hill. This short loop explores the views that Laurelwood Park has to offer.

Dog poop. Airplane noise. No bench. Almost no shade. And very steep.

It was a pleasant way up to the peak, through the shaded windy path covered by the trees on the hill, not on the mapped path, just took the stairs up after seeing a sign along the road.

The spanning view of the city, bridges, & bay makes it worthwhile. Spotted some flower blossom along the way.

I do wish I had read others review beforehand. Somehow I wanted to at least follow the marked path for my hike, had to be on my way down after venturing off to start the hike from a different route. The plan was to go down from the peak, x sign, along the beginning half of the mapped hike route with the bend, back to the playground.

Big mistake, also wish I turned around after seeing the downslope at the first sight, just didn't think it'd be most of the way like that. It turned out to be around 0.3-0.5 miles, all the way from the peak till the bend to hit flat land again.

Taking that path uphill may still be doable, as I came across quite a few day hikers coming from that direction, not looking too chippy though if anything.

Basically the section after the bend is a straight and steep uphill climb, or downhill slope, (any winding would have mitigated the steepness), a poorly paved dirt road, with many dry cracks, loose dirt and gravels on it, and sparse grass dotting the side of the path.

Going down that was a bit nightmare, even with serious hiking shoes, I had to take a scissor cross approach, taking tiny looped steps, using the dry grass or solid bumps on the ground to stabilize my steps... otherwise it felt like I could easily roll down the hill if I'm missing one step, and I did slip, just a little luckily...terrible for the knee.

I think there should be some warning sign. That part is NOT recommended for dry seasons, up or down. Shouldn't be allowed to go down that at all. I can't believe the other hiker I asked about options for going down didn't warn me...not sure if I would have understood though if they had as I was a bit determined to not to take the same route back *_*...

Good

Short neighborhood trail with a leafy switchback trail at the bottom opening up to a relatively treeless hike with nice views at top of San Francisco. Go back down the same way you came up. Other trials down are steep and gravely and not as well maintained or marked.

Friday, November 18, 2016