Sugarloaf Hill

Sugarloaf Hill is a 2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near San Mateo, California that offers scenic views and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Climb to the top of Sugarloaf Hill. This short loop explores the views that Laurelwood Park has to offer.

Good for after work quick hike, but worth it to head elsewhere if you have more time. Much better if done as a loop going up the new amphitheater way and then down and around the back versus just straight up and down.

Am embarrassed to admit that I have lived in the area for 20 years and have never visited this place. Definitely worth checking out. Nice views and wide paths. Wildflowers in the spring time.

Sunday, June 18, 2017

Dog poop. Airplane noise. No bench. Almost no shade. And very steep.

Wednesday, May 31, 2017

It was a pleasant way up to the peak, through the shaded windy path covered by the trees on the hill, not on the mapped path, just took the stairs up after seeing a sign along the road.

The spanning view of the city, bridges, & bay makes it worthwhile. Spotted some flower blossom along the way.

I do wish I had read others review beforehand. Somehow I wanted to at least follow the marked path for my hike, had to be on my way down after venturing off to start the hike from a different route. The plan was to go down from the peak, x sign, along the beginning half of the mapped hike route with the bend, back to the playground.

Big mistake, also wish I turned around after seeing the downslope at the first sight, just didn't think it'd be most of the way like that. It turned out to be around 0.3-0.5 miles, all the way from the peak till the bend to hit flat land again.

Taking that path uphill may still be doable, as I came across quite a few day hikers coming from that direction, not looking too chippy though if anything.

Basically the section after the bend is a straight and steep uphill climb, or downhill slope, (any winding would have mitigated the steepness), a poorly paved dirt road, with many dry cracks, loose dirt and gravels on it, and sparse grass dotting the side of the path.

Going down that was a bit nightmare, even with serious hiking shoes, I had to take a scissor cross approach, taking tiny looped steps, using the dry grass or solid bumps on the ground to stabilize my steps... otherwise it felt like I could easily roll down the hill if I'm missing one step, and I did slip, just a little luckily...terrible for the knee.

I think there should be some warning sign. That part is NOT recommended for dry seasons, up or down. Shouldn't be allowed to go down that at all. I can't believe the other hiker I asked about options for going down didn't warn me...not sure if I would have understood though if they had as I was a bit determined to not to take the same route back *_*...

Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Short neighborhood trail with a leafy switchback trail at the bottom opening up to a relatively treeless hike with nice views at top of San Francisco. Go back down the same way you came up. Other trials down are steep and gravely and not as well maintained or marked.

Friday, August 12, 2016

Relatively easy hike

Monday, May 02, 2016

I've hike this area with my dog a few times(on leash) and there are a few side trails you can take to make it longer if you would like. This area is full of ticks so be sure to check yourself and your dog after. If you do this hike and take one of the side trails to end up on East Laurel Creek Rd the best option is to turn around and go the way you came. Many times people walk E. Laurel Creek Rd or San Juan expecting to "loop around" but it will actually take you an additional 5 -10 miles to get back where you started if you go this way.

Saturday, January 30, 2016

Convenient, kid friendly, and a great view at the summit to have a picnic.

Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Good

Saturday, June 13, 2015

Good trail runs. Run it twice a week. Nice views of the San Francisco and the rest of the Bay Area too.

Monday, August 12, 2013

Really Dry in Summer - this is a great quicky mile in and out. Flat. Fall and winter provide a creek . Good for doggies ad horses. Lots of indigenous animals and foliage - Poison oak but not on trail. Ticks ! ck ur pup after !

Monday, May 29, 2017