Sugar Bowl - Redwood Creek Loop

Sugar Bowl - Redwood Creek Loop is a 6.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Stony Creek Village, California that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October.

As part of a Trinity Alps-King's Canyon trail maintenance crew this loop trail was our project for roughly a month back in April/May of 2015, and it's still one of my favorite trails in the King's Canyon area

My sister and I finished this trail in about 5 hours - we took several breaks. The trail itself is not difficult, but has some ups and downs, with plenty of time to recover before the next incline. If you want to see sequoia trees, this is the trail for you. There were plenty of groves on the top side, and a few down near the creek. Bring some bug spray.

We did this hike yesterday. It was great. Very peaceful. Lots of ups and downs, not too hard but definitely a work out if you keep a good pace, which we do. Beautiful views from many spots and lots of shade throughout most of the hike. Lots of wildflowers.

Hiked end of June.
The sheer majesty of the trees, stunning views and well-marked trail couldn't overcome the misery of the bugs.
Flies, bees, mosquitoes, whatever the heck else bit me. Any stop greater than 12secs u were guaranteed to be swarmed (and yes I had a can of bugspray with me- ineffective)
It's Nature. I'm not typically one who gets bothered by these things. But I did that day- and it knocked an obvious 5star trail down to a 3 for me. The wife flat-out refused to go back up into kings canyon the next day.
Is an obviously incredible trail- at the right time of year.

Loved it! The view at the top was breath taking. The last part of the trail was a difficult since it was uphill but a good workout

Wonderful hike. Beautiful Sequoias none of which have the name of a General!?!
End of loop allows for refreshing final burst. Only saw four other hikers on the whole loop. Really beautiful wild flowers.

I enjoyed. I took my younger Boy Scouts and at Mile 5.5 they were tired because the last 1 1/2 mile is uphill. So it was a little rough for them. It is June and today the weather was very cold. Roughly 40 degrees. It rained on us the last mile or so. It was very foggy because clouds had rolled in so we couldn't see much around us. Overall it's a good hike. Definite workout.

Very beautiful and quiet. Towards the end it gets you

Monday, June 20, 2016

The plan was to hike the Hart Tree part of the Redwood Canyon trail but upon arriving we were greeted by one of the parks firefighters who explained to us the prescribed burn currently taking place in the canyon. Although the Hart Tree trail was closed we were able to hike the Sugar Bowl trail as an out and back hike. Giant Sequoias greet you almost immediately once you start off lining the trail sporadically until you reach the top part of the ridge were you come across some rad groves. Smoke from the prescribed burn was rising from the canyon but really just added to adventure of being on the trail. After hiking down into the canyon we met up with the fire crew who kindly explained to us the purpose and benefits of the prescribed burns. We headed out the way we came stopping to have lunch amongst the giants before making our way back to the trailhead. Since it was an out and back hike the trip ended up at roughly 9 miles with easy to moderate climbs going both ways. Redwood Canyon is one of my favorite day hike destinations and I’m looking forward to checking out the effects of the prescribed burn in the future.

Saturday, June 20, 2015

Beautiful sequoia groves, good views of Big Baldy. Not a lot of vertical. We were here in peak season but only saw other groups of hikers perhaps once an hour.

Friday, August 09, 2013

This is one of the first trails my family and I hiked. The trail is moderate in terms of difficultly. The scenery is awesome with an orchard of sequoias at the turn around point of the loop. The trail has lots of shade making the hike bearable in the heat. Other trails in our family's future will be hard to beat!