Sugar Bowl - Redwood Creek Loop

Sugar Bowl - Redwood Creek Loop is a 6.5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Stony Creek Village, California that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October.

Great hike and fairly cool on an early August day when it was broiling at lower elevations. No bugs on the mountain and not too bad along the creek - but enough that repellent would have made it more enjoyable. Mostly we had the trail to ourselves. The number of old-growth trees is astounding.

Great hike! The creek canyon is far more lush than the Giant Forest area and was very peaceful. No mosquitos yet as of first week of June. The climb out of the canyon has great views despite all the smog, and the Sugar Bowl grove of sequoias was really stunning. Still a lot of wildflowers on the hill walking back down to the parking lot as well. Saw more hikers than I was expecting on a Monday but by no means crowded. The road still has some deep ruts and potholes in places but if you are careful you could avoid them in a sedan.

Good hikes. Lots of beautiful trees and scenery. Was really foggy so it has a creepy forest feel and we could not see 15 ft ahead of us. Very enjoyable. Much more than 6.5 miles however. I would say more like 8.

We did this trail in May. Took us about 4 and a half hours. It was clearly marked and very well maintained. We did have to crawl over a couple of downed trees but it was before Memorial Day which begins the busy season, the NPS had already cleared out most everything else in the trail, We really took our time to stop and take pics and enjoy it. It was beautiful, the redwoods were stunning and the dogwoods were blooming, just MAGIC! The canyon views were breathtaking. It was a Saturday and we met a few other hikers but not many. We want to try Hart next!

Was a beautiful, relatively easy trail with multiple large groves of Sequoias. Greatly enjoyed this hike!

Quite the hike. My 10 y/o, 12 y/o, wife and myself completed this March 31, 2018. We had a low clearance vehicle so we used a parking lot a good ways above the road in and hiked down to the road and off to the trail. Absolutely zero people from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Lots of snow still so it was nice and tough but magical underneath all those beautiful trees. Bucket list type spot!!

I chose this hike because the reviews said it was a good place to get away from any crowds, and it definitely did not disappoint! I only saw one other person on the trail. The dirt road leading down to the trailhead is a little sketch, I briefly got stuck in a pothole on the way back up to the main road, but I still managed in my '97 Camry so I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just take it slow and steady. No snow yet, and today was sunny and warm. The fall colors of the oaks were a beautiful backdrop for the towering sequoias, and you even get some panoramic views of the surrounding canyon. Loved this hike!

If you like sequoias and don't like the crowds this is the hike for you. We ran into two people all day. The were some views(all of big baldy and redwood canyon). There was sequoias the entire hike but you will know when you enter the sugarbowl. Redwood canyon itself is nice. You get to hike along a creek for a little while and the fall colors on the oaks were a nice shade of red and yellow. This was a great fall hike!

Great hike away from the crowds. We only saw 4 other people on the trail. There was grove after grove of Sequoias. It really was amazing to be in the middle of such large trees and the still quite of nature. Such a blessing to be able to experience such an amazing place!

Hiked this and Hart Tree as a loop, and camped at the trail junction. The trail goes past grove after grove of sequoias, and there are many great places to camp. Also, since the temperature has been dropping, there were no bugs!

Great loop hike, completed it in around 4 hours!! The gravel road in did have a few ruts but nothing impassible saw a mustang creep through it! Amazing sequoias trees all over An great views!! Great place to come make yourself feel small An humble!!! An also recommend taking the loop counter clockwise!!! And another big plus only passed three other folks the whole hike!! Whoa what a magical day!!!

This is a great trail in the Redwoods. We did not have bug issues as it was in the 40's temperature wise. If coming by way of Badger to the forrest road, you need a higher clearance car. The road has some washout areas and larger rocks.

Sunday, July 30, 2017

As part of a Trinity Alps-King's Canyon trail maintenance crew this loop trail was our project for roughly a month back in April/May of 2015, and it's still one of my favorite trails in the King's Canyon area

Tuesday, July 25, 2017

My sister and I finished this trail in about 5 hours - we took several breaks. The trail itself is not difficult, but has some ups and downs, with plenty of time to recover before the next incline. If you want to see sequoia trees, this is the trail for you. There were plenty of groves on the top side, and a few down near the creek. Bring some bug spray.

Friday, July 07, 2017

Second time doing this hike! One of the biggest freestanding giant sequoia groves left I believe. If you want to see some beautiful trees without having to deal with large crowds then this is the hike!

Sunday, July 02, 2017

We did this hike yesterday. It was great. Very peaceful. Lots of ups and downs, not too hard but definitely a work out if you keep a good pace, which we do. Beautiful views from many spots and lots of shade throughout most of the hike. Lots of wildflowers.

Thursday, June 29, 2017

Hiked end of June.
The sheer majesty of the trees, stunning views and well-marked trail couldn't overcome the misery of the bugs.
Flies, bees, mosquitoes, whatever the heck else bit me. Any stop greater than 12secs u were guaranteed to be swarmed (and yes I had a can of bugspray with me- ineffective)
It's Nature. I'm not typically one who gets bothered by these things. But I did that day- and it knocked an obvious 5star trail down to a 3 for me. The wife flat-out refused to go back up into kings canyon the next day.
Is an obviously incredible trail- at the right time of year.

Sunday, June 25, 2017

Loved it! The view at the top was breath taking. The last part of the trail was a difficult since it was uphill but a good workout

Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Wonderful hike. Beautiful Sequoias none of which have the name of a General!?!
End of loop allows for refreshing final burst. Only saw four other hikers on the whole loop. Really beautiful wild flowers.

Sunday, June 11, 2017

I enjoyed. I took my younger Boy Scouts and at Mile 5.5 they were tired because the last 1 1/2 mile is uphill. So it was a little rough for them. It is June and today the weather was very cold. Roughly 40 degrees. It rained on us the last mile or so. It was very foggy because clouds had rolled in so we couldn't see much around us. Overall it's a good hike. Definite workout.

Sunday, May 28, 2017

Very beautiful and quiet. Towards the end it gets you

Monday, June 20, 2016

The plan was to hike the Hart Tree part of the Redwood Canyon trail but upon arriving we were greeted by one of the parks firefighters who explained to us the prescribed burn currently taking place in the canyon. Although the Hart Tree trail was closed we were able to hike the Sugar Bowl trail as an out and back hike. Giant Sequoias greet you almost immediately once you start off lining the trail sporadically until you reach the top part of the ridge were you come across some rad groves. Smoke from the prescribed burn was rising from the canyon but really just added to adventure of being on the trail. After hiking down into the canyon we met up with the fire crew who kindly explained to us the purpose and benefits of the prescribed burns. We headed out the way we came stopping to have lunch amongst the giants before making our way back to the trailhead. Since it was an out and back hike the trip ended up at roughly 9 miles with easy to moderate climbs going both ways. Redwood Canyon is one of my favorite day hike destinations and I’m looking forward to checking out the effects of the prescribed burn in the future.

Saturday, June 20, 2015

Beautiful sequoia groves, good views of Big Baldy. Not a lot of vertical. We were here in peak season but only saw other groups of hikers perhaps once an hour.

Friday, August 09, 2013

This is one of the first trails my family and I hiked. The trail is moderate in terms of difficultly. The scenery is awesome with an orchard of sequoias at the turn around point of the loop. The trail has lots of shade making the hike bearable in the heat. Other trails in our family's future will be hard to beat!