Sturtevant Trail

Sturtevant Trail is a 11.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Sierra Madre, California that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Good trails are good when it is really hot on summer I personaly recomend this area to Explorer waterfalls, chirping, dears, flowers...

Good hike lots of great views

This was an awesome hike! Especially if you like the forest. I had 5 children in tow ranging from 5 to 12 years. All had an awesome time, and are planning on going we can get back to go a bit further into the hike. Be prepared to get your feet wet and bring extra clothes or at least socks as you do cross the creek a few times.

From Chantry Flats to Mt Wilson. It was an awesome two day hike. Make sure to have your $5 Adventure Pass (two days = $10) or the yearly $30 pass on your car.

For some people, it is a day hike. However for my SO and I, we made it a two day hike. There is a couple of things you can do to make it a two day hike. You can either camp at Spruce Grove Campground (make sure to have a bear canister for your food as there are no bear lockers) or stay at Sturtevant Camp. My SO, in planning my birthday surprise, decided for the latter. Sturtevant Camp works together with the Chantry Flats Pack Station. You can leave your things with the Pack Station and they will take your things to Sturtevant Camp via donkeys.

On the day of our hike to Sturtevant Camp, we took our day packs and headed to Santa Anita's well known waterfall, Sturtevant. It was an easy hike to this small seasonal waterfall. At the time, it was dry and had almost no water (with the recent rains, the waterfall has revived itself). We then backtracked and took the Gabrielino trail which would take us to the camp. It took us about 3-4 hours to get to the camp. The trail follows a stream and the ridges of the hills. The camp has no cell service which makes it a nice retreat from civilization. Our things were in the cabin as expected. The Camp's host was very nice and very friendly. His name Brad, was the month's volunteer for the the camp. We decided to wait until the next day (Sunday) to hike up to Mt Wilson. Our night was spectacular as my SO made bomb spaghetti and roasted marshmallows in the campfire Brad had made. We slept like king and queen in the cabin. No worries of bears or anything.
In the morning we prepared for Mt Wilson. From the camp, Mt Wilson is about 3.5 miles away. We took a ton of water and left for Mt Wilson. The hike is challenging. It has a 2500 feet incline all the way from the camp. The positive is that it is mostly shaded, trail is well marked and has almost no scramble points. The first part is a rocky incline getting out of the camp's canyon. You feel it right away that this hike deserves respect. As you make your way out of the canyon you begin Mt. Wilson's base climb with inclining switchbacks (they say this is perfect Mt Whitney training). You think you have made progress as you go through a couple of them and then you find yourself with the halfway sign. From here, the incline gets easy in terms of its switchbacks. As you get close to the summit you see the transition from pine tree woods to chaparral. The trail gets narrow, sandy and steep. This part tested my SO and I in our determination to get to the top as the morning hot sun was hitting us with full force. After 3 hours of hiking we got to the top. We went to the cafe, enjoyed the view and explored the observatory. We then went back down to sturtevant camp and arrived there at 2. We left our camp for home an hour later. It took us 3 hours to get to our parked car in Chantry Flats. We were dead exhausted and our muscles ached. We then went to In n Out and celebrated our first summit out of the 6 pack of peaks.