EveryTrail is now a part of AllTrails! Please click here to read more.

Sturtevant Falls Trail

Sturtevant Falls Trail is a 3 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Sierra Madre, California that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and horses and is best used from November until March. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 3.0 miles Elevation Gain: 646 feet Route Type: Out & Back

partially paved

A leisurely hike through an enchanted portion of the San Gabriel Mountains leading to a fifty foot waterfall. The trail from Chantry Flats to Sturtevant Falls has been a popular hike for those wanting to escape the urban sprawl of Los Angeles since the early 1900's. This is an easy hike and perfect for anyone new to hiking but be aware that the last 0.6 mile return to the parking lot is all uphill. You will need a USDF pass, you can get a day pass $5 at REI.

A lot of shade once you've passed the asphalt part in the beginning . Loved that you can hear the water flowing for most of the hike. Coming back kicked my butt somewhat at the end, as I haven't hiked for a while and it felt like it just went straight up and there was no longer any shade. Overall, loved the waterfall. Will be back to hike this trail again.

This is one of my favorite hikes because of the shade and all the water along the trail.

I absolutely loved this trail! There are a couple waterfalls on the trail and the scenery is beautiful! I would just recommend to wear a bug repellent as they are attracted to perfumes and lotions. I got in the water when we finally reached the last waterfall and it was so relieving! Just be careful because there are some rattle snakes.

Definitely tougher than I expected. Overall the hike was enjoyable but I highly recommend the earlier the better as it does get crowded, even on the weekday. We went in July and the heat was in full effect. Luckily, lots of shaded areas to rest. Also, if it is hot, bring lots of water and snacks, they go a long way! The hardest part is the incline back as it’s a steep incline but luckily it’s on concrete and it’s not as bad as I expected. But it’s tough ha ha ha. Lots of beautiful scenery and a great hike for the moderate level hiker. You can also purchase a parking pass for the So-Cal National Parks at the office where the trail begins, a day pass is $5 (need to pay in cash but they do accept card with a minimum charge of $10) or a yearly pass for $30 (both are for one vehicle but with the year pass you can get a 2nd pass for $5).

In July hike, the waterfall still running strong from all the rain. It is beautiful waterfall as close as Hawaii waterfall. It is reminding me one of the hike on Maui that I have to cross the streams. Parking is the only bad situation, not enough. High truffles areas. But it was refreshing when made to waterfall!!!

The trail is great - nice and wide and as others have mentioned, it’s fairly shady along the way. Went on a Saturday mid-morning (11am) and while it was busy with lots of couples and families, it also didn’t feel overly crowded. The creeks and waterfall had quite a bit of water. Definitely wear shoes you don’t mind getting wet so you can explore the areas to their fullest. The only difficult part is the steep incline back up to the road and parking area. However, that portion of the trail is asphalt. Also, parking is not ideal. You need a pass, and must park either along the road and within the white lines, or be lucky enough to get a spot in the tiny lot.

Closed on 4th of July (2019)

River crossings. Fun. Good workout coming back up. Scenic with cute cabins. Pretty over crowded on weekends, naturally.

I reached Sturtevant Falls after enjoying the full loop from Hermit Falls. (Sturtevant Falls was named for canyon pioneer Wilbur M. Sturtevant, who carved out the trail in the 1890s). It's is a nice well maintained trail topped off with a beautiful waterfall and lots of shade along the way.

We love this trail and try to go back whenever we can. It’s mostly shady which is great. The whole trail is beautiful. I really appreciate that it’s a wider trail so no fear of being snuck up on by a snake or something.. The only thing I really hate is the long incline at the very end. Definitely kicks your butt. ALSO- *MAKE SURE TO HAVE YOUR PASS AND PARK *INSIDE* THE WHITE LINES!!! It is difficult to squeeze in somewhere but you must stay within the lines. Last time on the way back to our car, I would say 80% of the cars had tickets on them even if they were touching the line. We got lucky but I would be furious if that were me. Other than parking, this is one of my favorite spots for sure.

This trail and hike was VERY fun and pretty. I enjoyed the whole thing and there were so many wildlife to spot on the way. It was also really nice to snack on the side of the Santa Anita river. The actual waterfall was very beautiful and the water was very refreshing. We found many animals in the river including Newts and Frogs. But also be wary because there were a lot of bugs and mosquitoes. But the trail was absolutely beautiful and fun to hike. Would definitely do it again!

Fun hike. I grew up around this area and I don’t think I’ve ever seen the water running this much. All the rain has definitely made everything more lush and beautiful. Parking is pretty rough but not impossible. Make sure to pick up your day pass from the store at the top. And if you park on the road, stay inside those white lines. I saw a deputy writing ticket after ticket for people with no passes or who parked poorly.

nice walk, not much shade in the beginning. Waterfall is great, the walk is easy with a lot of cabins to see and tons of shade. parking is very challenging, get there early. Saw a lot of tickets issued for not having a wilderness pass or parked bad.

The Best!!!! Perfect hike to a great waterfall.

It was nice not too hard. I loved the river crossing it was fun to get a little wet .

W / GekoHikers

Easy, all uphill on paved road on way back.

Fun hike along a beautiful river and waterfall at the end. This hike gets super busy and packed, recommend going early for a good parking spot. My friends and I arrived at 8:30am on Saturday and we had to park down the road because the lot was full. There are 3 river crossings but nothing that will get you wet. My trail rating: 5 Stars - I'll do it again! 4 Stars - I'll do it again after some other hikes. 3 Stars - I'll do it again cause I like you 2 Stars - I'll begrudgingly do it again 1 Stars - I'm never doing that again.

hiked to the falls, and then over to hoegees camp and up and back to chantry for a fairly easy 8 miles loop, really nice hike with lots of shade, parking can be hard to come by though so get there early

This is a great trail for the whole family. The hike in and out is moderate but there are opportunities to take forks onto more difficult trails. Parking can be a bear though, make sure you get there early for the choice spots and be certain you get your pass or risk a $150 ticket.

Went to the fall before heading to the Mt. Wilson summit and it was a nice little side stop. This is a really nice fall I didn't expect it. From the six waterfalls I've been to in our Angeles forest I rate this as the second best one I've seen. Trail Canyon falls is still the best fall I've seen around here!

not my favorite hike, but if you like mini waterfalls, ita is adequate.

Nice easy to Moderate