Strawberry Peak via Mountaineer’s Route

Strawberry Peak via Mountaineer’s Route is a 10.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Palmdale, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, running, and nature trips and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 10.2 miles Elevation Gain: 3,474 feet Route Type: Loop

This hike starts out at the Colby Canyon trailhead.

The All Trails description and reviews of this trail do not adequately describe or warn against the scrambles. They are much more difficult and it is very easy to lose the trail. I have done dozens of trails marked as “HARD” in All Trails and there is a major discrepancy between a difficult trail...and whatever this is. As a result, I was not properly prepared. I know that preparation is just as much on me, but that is why I am writing this review - to hopefully spare someone what I went through. If it’s hot, bring twice as much water as you normally would for the mileage. If you feel like you are off trail or the scrambling becomes scary, STOP...turn around, go back, and look for the last time you were certain you were on trail. In summer, bring a headnet for the flies. Wear pants and long sleeves, as the trail is overgrown with thorny bushes and yucca plants that are determined to stab you. Don’t follow my recording. At all. It will get you lost. Good luck. I’ll take the long way up next time.

I started this hike thinking I wasn't going to loop, I'd just return down the same way and spend some time at Switzer Falls. Well, no. That was definitely not in the cards. This is a real climbing scramble since the ascent is very vertical and doesn't offer too much horizontal pathing protection. So when you climb, you really have to commit to it. There was one problem I was so certain I couldn't get past, my hiking partner had already flung her tiny body over, but I was so nervous about it because it required leaning backwards over the drop in order to launch myself onto the ledge. I went back and forth across the level I was at trying to find any other route up, but they were all just as bad. We made it, but we were both in agreement that there was absolutely no way we were going to descend the same way so we ended up more than doubling our initial mileage by taking the loop around through the strawberry meadows. Honestly, aside from the bugs, the meadow actually WAS really cool and there was absolutely nobody else there. We didn't see a SOUL the entire time after we'd passed the junction where the meadows trail connects to the red box route. This is a hard route, just be prepared and do not attempt if you're afraid of heights or not conditioned for climbing. Also 3 stars because the chaparral on the way to the boulder field was over a mile of sharp overgrown mess. We knew we didn't want to go down again that way not just because of how terrifying descending the scramble would be, but because of that awful chaparral overgrowth.

Great hike, with varied terrain and beautiful, expansive views. The first mile is in a canyon following a stream with several small waterfalls. It's then exposed as the trail switchbacks up the mountain to Josephine Pass, the start of the loop. Make sure to do the loop counter-clockwise. The trail is easy to miss, so watch for it on your right. As you progress, the trail disappears several times, but just keep heading towards the big mountain and you'll always find it again. There are a few rock scrambles (hence doing the loop counter-clockwise, to avoid having to descend them), nothing too technical, but if you're scared of heights or unable to use both hands and feet to climb, it's best to pass on this trail. After, it's a steep descent followed by gentle declines and inclines the rest of the loop. You'll pass through Strawberry Meadows, a great place for a lunch or nap. A couple things to keep in mind, this trail is very exposed, so take precautions against the sun as you see fit. Also, in many places the trail is overgrown, so pants and/or long sleeves provides some protection. Finally, in mid-June the flies were out in force, so be aware of that. Overall, a beautiful, mostly moderately difficult hike with several hard sections. If you go on a weekday, you won't see anyone else on the trail. On a weekend, you'll probably see a few people, but it's still a quiet and peaceful trail.

Definitely enjoyed this hike! It was very challenging up to the peak, would absolutely not recommend for beginners. Need solid hiking shoes and even gloves to be comfortable. Will go back!

I went up the left part of the loop and when it came time to come back down the rocks from the peak, I could not for the life of me figure out where the trail was. Reading a similar hike, it might have been better to go up the crazy rocks first rather than try to figure out coming down them. I got so frustrated and almost slipped badly on the unsteady rocks and sand trying to go down that I gave up and turned around and it turned my hike into a 17 mile hike. Wish I had read the reviews from the other hike page before doing it because it would have saved me a lot of time and energy. Also the first 2 miles of the hike have zero shade so would not recommend at a hot time of day. The rest of the loop besides getting up to the peaks is pretty steady with more shade, little inclines but pretty flat and easy to navigate. Probably won’t do again though after my experience but the view from the top is beautiful.

Loved this hike! I didn’t find the hike straining, but walking sticks would have been helpful for some of the descent as the dirt can be slippery. Much safer to go up mountaineers route than down. Might not be the best hike if you’re scared of heights.

nice intermediate hike

We went with TRVRS Apparel finally to one of his hikes. I always wanted to hike with them, it was an awsome hike from start to end, we have a female hiker that had hundred of bloody scratches at the end it was funny and laughable but when were doing the rock scramble it was scary , she needed SEVERAL butt pushings from a TRVRS Apparel crew, she almost fell more than once, and in one ocasion she grabbed a loose rock and she send it towards me it was scary. I hiked the day before Mount Wilson with a total of 14.5 miles adding 12 more today for a total of 26.5 extreme hikes I believe it was a good weekend.