Strawberry Peak Trail via Redbox Canyon

Strawberry Peak Trail via Redbox Canyon is a 7 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Mt Wilson, California that features beautiful wild flowers. The trail is rated as difficult and primarily used for hiking, walking, and birding. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

I hiked it on 2/10/18 and we had a great time. It wasn't too cold although it did get quite windy at times. I enjoyed this route much more than the Colby Canyon way which is about 1/2 a mile shorter but much harder due to the 800 ft of extra elevation gain and the rock scrambling. So if you are looking for a decent challenge Red Box is the better option than the much more challenging Colby route. The first 2.5 miles or so were not that difficult, but the last mile to the peak is going to require more out of you. The start of the trail is across parking lot on the other side of Hwy 2 and it is an easy trail to follow. You will be rewarded with great views at the top. Plan on it taking about 4 hrs.

Loved this trail! A good work out through and through. Totally worth all the work you put in. First couple miles are pleasant and easy then the steepness and climbing kick in. I loved it, can’t wait to do it again.

Amazing and very challenging. Worth all the struggle.

Amazing trail!!! Gets tough right at the end!

Nice gradual incline for the start of this hike, with stunning views almost immediately. Then you begin to climb, and scramble, and huff and puff your way to the top. A couple false peaks are in the way, you've finally made it when you find the summit register. Great views of the LA basin. The day we were there DTLA looked like a castle in the clouds.

this trail was short and easy, nice trail I can mark off my list!

Amazing trail! Great views, thought last mile

Stunning views. The hike is easy up through the last couple of miles and then it’s very challenging. Narrow trail, lots of boulders to navigate, yucca that will poke your legs. I highly recommend a sun hat, pants and hiking poles. I used the AllTrails app and downloaded the map prior to the hike. There is no reception at the start of the hike. I put my phone in airplane mode and used the downloaded AllTrails map to ensure I stayed on the trail. I went through 3 liters of water and still ran out. There is water at the starting point.

We took strawberry trail to the strawberry meadows and Colby canyon junction. On our way back we hiked up strawberry peak. It's a tough climb, steep and lots of yucca. The views are incredible.

It was not hard trail and nice view

Beautiful views. Saw a rattlesnake on the trail today (6/3/17) about fifth of the way up.

gruelling

a much easier way up Strawberry Peak

Monday, February 13, 2017

Saturday, April 02, 2016

Hiked the peak from Red Box with our Boy Scout troop. Hike to the saddle west of Lawlor is relatively easy, but that's when the fun starts. Trail climbs significantly during the last mile, and there are lots of yucca plants ready to poke your legs at every turn. Definitely bring a lunch! We went on an overcast day, so couldn't enjoy the views. Hiking staff recommended.

Monday, February 29, 2016

Did the peak from Red Box Ranger Station. Came in at 7.5 miles up and back. Nice hike. Not a great trail, but very good views once you reach the ridge. Views from the peak arent as good as when going up, but there's lots of room for a picnic (or a nap as some other hikers were doing). :)
Minor scrambling coming up this way. I met a couple of hikers who came up the difficult side, and they were spooked enough to take the long way back in order to avoid going back down the same way.

Monday, November 23, 2015

hiked to strawberry pick true
Jjosephine road ,

hiked to strawberry pick true Josephine road.nice.love it .

Friday, July 10, 2015

Hiked to the top of Josephine Peak Road. There were a lot of bikers riding and walking up. If you go in the middle of the day, don't expect to have much shade, so stop under a tree when you can. This is a dirt road that goes to the top of Josephine Peak. It is a several hour hike up the trail. I made it in about 3 hours, up all the way. Most of the bikers stop where it meets the Strawberry Peak trail (34.282407, -118.142291). I kept going. Found a nice camping spot just past there (34.286880, -118.151218). At the top you'll find a locked service building with solar panels and radio equipment. I enjoyed the trip up, but I would have loved a bike to go down.