Learn more

Strawberry Peak Trail via Redbox Canyon

hardYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(1115)
Angeles National Forest

Strawberry Peak Trail via Redbox Canyon is a 7.2 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Mount Wilson, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length 7.2 mi Elevation gain 1,788 ft Route type Out & Back

Photos (1210)
Recordings (1016)
Completed (1474)
Sarah jane Fletcher
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarMon Jul 13 2020
Hiking

Lots of false summits...enjoy it (advice given to me) views were nice the entire shade less hike. The last mile is pretty grueling but worth it.

Yocelyn Lopez
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSun Jul 12 2020
HikingBugsNo shadeRockyScramble
View Yocelyn's Recording
Rachel Derrico
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarWed Jul 08 2020
HikingNo shadeOver grown

This trail was more challenging than I expected, but I attribute that mainly to the heat. No shade at all and you are very exposed. A little overgrown in places, id recommend long pants so you don’t get too cut up. Trail is still easy to follow though. Views were nice but I don’t think this is a trail I’d recommend to friends. Maybe in the winter months!

Matthew Salkovitz
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Jul 05 2020
HikingBugsScramble

Hiked this 7.5.20 as an alternative since Mt Wilson was closed. Got to the trailhead around 645 and there were only a few cars despite a holiday weekend. The ride up to the trailhead is really pretty and the sun had just finished rising making the drive gorgeous. The hike itself was fairly straightforward and not to long. About 7 miles round trip. The entire hike is exposed with zero shade and it was in the upper 80s today so keep that in mind. I only drank a liter and a half of water despite the heat. The views are really nice from the very beginning, including the summit of Mt Wilson. The final mile was quite steep with a bit of scrambling but no poles necessary. There were a TON of bugs at the peak so after a few pics I bounced. Got back to my car around 11 and the lot was packed with picnickers. Overall a great way to kill a Sunday morning and bag another 6pack peak!

View Matthew's Recording
meaghan cohen
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Jul 04 2020
HikingNo shade

Pretty easy trail with epic views the whole way. Last bit is steep and very sandy but it’s only the last .5 miles ish. Easy to get to and so worth it!

Agnes C
HikingBugsScramble

The first 2 or so miles of this trail are pretty easy. The last mile before the peak is challenging because the incline is somewhat intense, the dirt is loose, and some scrambling is required (though it’s not too difficult). Having trail shoes definitely helps. Encountered a lot of bees along the way and saw a snake, but they weren’t a bother. Overall enjoyed this one and would like to come back! Also, I would rate this moderate rather than hard.

View Agnes's Recording
Chelsea Hahn
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarFri Jul 03 2020
HikingRockyScramble

The first 2.5 miles is easy. After that it gets pretty rough. Very steep in some parts. I definitely had to use my hands to hoist myself up. If you have poles, bring them. It get really slippery due to the sand. Also, don’t underestimate the sun/heat! I didn’t bring enough water. The hike is beautiful though!! We really took our time and stopped often to take in the scenery. I will definitely do it again!!

View Chelsea's Recording
Elizabeth O.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarWed Jul 01 2020
HikingNo shade

Really enjoyed this hike! Nice views and mellow ascent for the first couple miles, then it got tough. Several false summits and lots of steep uphill at the end. Fortunately it doesn't last too long! We saw some huge lizards and a snake. Started rather late at 9 and ended by 12:30 including a 30 min break at the top. Plenty of parking. It was sunny but there actually were some patches of shade for the first couple miles. Brought 2.5 L of water and bought an adventure pass at 7-11 the day before.

Brenda Lopez
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarWed Jul 01 2020
Hiking

The first 3 miles are pretty mellow and flat. The last mile is more of a rock climb. The signs were gone at the peak , I wouldn’t have noticed I reached it had a hiker not pointed it out to me. Nice views all the way.

Christina Loera
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarTue Jun 30 2020

6/30/20 boy that was a challenge. I believe that it's moderate at the beginning. then at the second 1.5 of a mile it's a climb. I got nauseous. I didn't make it to the top but I was .25 of a mile from it. I fell but I'm ok.

Laura Sanford
HikingRocky

This is great and much easier than the Colby Canyon routes. The first 2.5 miles was pretty mellow. It was a breezy day and started at 9am so there were a few shaded patches still so wasn’t as hot as I thought it would be. But it is pretty unshaded and the way down there was no shade so I’d suggest starting early, especially on a hotter day. The last mile to the top is a workout but the views are worth it! You need a pass to park at the redbox parking lot.

View Laura's Recording
Jena West
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Jun 28 2020
View Jena's Recording
Michelle B.
HikingNo shadeScramble

Hiked on Sunday, June 28 beginning at 12:45 pm. Road up to parking lot was covered in such heavy fog that we almost turned around. Once we got to within a mile or so of the parking lot, we were above the fog and it was a very sunny day. Trail is in great condition but there are a few spots that are narrow because of overgrowth. There is little shade. The last 0.8 miles up to the peak are more of a rock scramble and there are some minor slippery sandy areas. The peak itself is a very small area. I found the trail register but the signs seemed to be gone. Lots of lizards and butterflies! Beautiful views beginning very early in the hike and lasting throughout. There are no water sources on the trail.

View Michelle's Recording
Alex Hoisington
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSat Jun 27 2020
View Alex's Recording
Marcos Nuno
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSat Jun 27 2020
HikingBugsNo shadeOver grown

The trail is very narrow more often than not and was overgrown at several places. We saw two snakes (not rattlers) towards the beginning of the trail, so those factors weren't encouraging. There were a ton of bugs on this particular day too. We started around 7:30 AM so the sun/heat wasn't a big factor. Overall, not a difficult hike but would not return.

Knarf and Co.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarThu Jun 25 2020
HikingNo shade

No shade is hyperbolic. But there is no button for limited shade. Now that I’ve cleared my conscience. How could I attempt to convey what this trail is like to experience. With words? I am unlikely to succeed. So I won’t attempt to. Instead I offer tips for success. [] at least 4L of water in summer months [] A friend of equal or similar fitness. This will enable them to push you and also take breaks at comparable intervals. []camera to take cute pics at the top >.< I hope this finds you well. Con Cariño, CM

sue l.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Jun 21 2020
View sue's Recording
Daniel Lichtenstein
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSat Jun 20 2020
HikingNo shade

6/20/20 Started up at 3:20, was back at my car at 6:20 with very minimal stops. Trail is really pretty, single track, only slightly over grown in few areas. Totally manageable. But it is very exposed to the sun, and you should watch where you put your hands and feet during the scramble at the top (snakes and sharp plants). I’d attempted to summit Strawberry Peak from Colby Canyon via Mountaineers a few weeks back but was alone, and afraid of heights, so I backed off. This way is actually safe and easily done by moderate hikers. NO SHADE!

Kristin & Wade Tettenburn
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon Jun 15 2020
HikingNo shadeOver grownScramble

Nice hike with great views! The distance isn’t too far and you get a little challenge towards the peak with a rock scramble. I would call it moderate not “hard”.