Strawberry Peak from Twin Peaks HWY 189

hardYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray Star(86)
San Bernardino, California

Strawberry Peak from Twin Peaks HWY 189 is a 1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near San Bernardino, California that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from March until December.

Distance: 1.0 miles Elevation Gain: 679 feet Route Type: Out & Back

historic site

Straight uphill on more of a washed out water runoff type trail. Not much of an actual hiking trail.

100% would recommend. Short, scenic hike. Clean and not busy at all. Parking - parked on the 189 close to the bus stop and to the gates of a church retreat place. There’s space for 2-3 cars. Trail - started off following the original trail which begins by heading west and curves to a north-east general direction. I would say that there are two legs to this hike. The first half is easy hiking on dirt and in the shade of big pine trees. You get nice forest scenery. This part ends right at the water tanks. The second half is moderate-hard hiking. The terrain is rocky, less trees and more bushes, and bigger slope. The scenery is of the surrounding mountains. As you’re nearing the top, you’ll be able to spot Lake Gregory. The fire lookout tower - which is at the very end of the hike. In May 2020 (covid-19) it was closed although a sign on the gate welcomed visitors 9AM - 5PM everyday. You can get to the tower via a car on a paved road from the other side of the peak easily.

This was beautiful, if you take the trail straight up it leads to the water tower and it’s pretty steep and very rocky but it’s nice. If you go in and to the right it’s a nice jogging path flat and somewhat a slow incline. Less rocky, both are pretty and worth the small trek. I would have this labeled moderate not hard. The trail is clearly marked and so is the trailhead, very nice and I only saw one piece of trash. Going up the mountain is a lot more secluded feeling. You can still hear cars from a distance but it’s quiet.

This is a great trail. I is ery easy to hike but very steep. And the view at the top is great. When I went, the wind was strong and sand kept getting into my eyes so be careful of that.

Make sure you go all the way to the top and go up into the tower. Gorgeous 360 views.

This was a great trail and lots of fun! I don’t think we followed the right path because we never saw the lake. However we got an amazing view. I was almost spooked off and didn’t do this because I have a 3 year old and it listed this as hard. She did the whole thing just fine.

The view was beyond breathtaking. I don't believe that I followed the trail as dictated but I certainly got a good workout...and some amazing pics. The only reason I gave it 4 stars instead of five is that the best view point that I reached... was right next to the power plant...sooo.

steep

Sat May 11 2019

If you are a regular hiker, this trail is on the easier end. We hike regularly so this trail was a breeze, but we did encounter people who were struggling along the way.

Tue Oct 23 2018

The back trail is quite steep and rocky. I enjoyed the hike and views. I saw a number of lizards and heard a woodpecker. There is a view of the lake, and the trees make it quite serene. I really enjoy being in nature on this trail.

Sun Oct 07 2018

Absolutely beautiful views! Veryyyy steep, (climbing up the mountain)Not much parking at the bottom, had to park alongside the road but it worked out just fine. I absolutely recommend, can’t wait to come back!

Sat Jul 14 2018

A couple weeks ago, I parked near the bottom and went running on up the paved road. There were so many Monarch butterflies everywhere.

Thu May 31 2018

pretty steep grade. had frye boots on so made it most of way up...it just kept going! only a lil parking along road across street from land trust/strawberry peaks sign & old adobe looking entrance gate/ wall...but only 1 other person was there when we parked. really scenic, went up twice as quick as descent, cuz dry & loose underfoot. way cool, beautiful!

Wed Jan 24 2018

This is a killer little hike. It is a work out that is worth the views!!!