Stonewall Peak Trail

Stonewall Peak Trail is a 3.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Julian, California that features a great forest setting and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

rock climbing

Stellar views and a variety of terrain in Cuyamaca Rancho State Park. Shaded oak lined trail with excellent views to the north, east & south. Want to see some of the best that Cuyamaca Rancho State Park has to offer? Hike up Stonewall Peak and enjoy the view of the surrounding park and nearby Lake Cuyamaca. The hike up the east side is a popular and relatively easy trail. The elevation gain is about 1000 feet, but doesn't seem like it with lots of switchbacks surrounded by Cuyamaca's characteristic plant and rock scenery and ever-better views. When you reach the top, climb the stairs and behold the breathtaking 360 degree view. When you get your fill, you can go back down the east side, or head down the "back" side, which heads northwest and circles back around. When there's snow, the "back" side is where it lasts the longest, and you can enjoy an easy, meandering descent. This excursion is of gentle switchbacks through canopies of black oaks, sycamores, and other coniferous trees. Great views of Anza Borrego, the Laguna Mountains, (on clear days) the Salton Sea, and 30+ miles to Palomar Mountains are the reward for all who make the ascent.

I really loved this hike and had no idea it was across the street from Paso Picacho! It’s definitely a new favorite in the area. Lots of blooms and taller vegetation even though this hasn’t been the wettest spring. My only WARNING is that I do not think this hike is entirely kid friendly. The hike itself is doable and well kept, but the top even with the rails would have made me very nervous if I had brought my wild 6 year old with me. There are huge gaps between the rocks and rails and if you have a clumsy or defiant or careless child (which describes many children), they could easily fall from a great height. I don’t consider myself a helicopter parent and have no problem with taking some risks with children, but take a good look at the pictures of the top before you take your kids. I would, however, take my cautious 9 year old who I’m sure would absolutely love it. The top is quite breathtaking and I plan to go back often! But consider carefully what your children are capable of before you bring them!

One of the most amazing hike.

Great little hike with spectacular 360 views! Watch out for the rattlesnakes though.

Gorgeous hike! One of the most scenic and pretty sight I’ve been in San Diego...awesome 360 view of mountains and Cuyamaca Lake at the top! Make sure to start early (we started around 7:15am on a Saturday) cause Peak doesn’t have room and can get crowded as soon as people start coming in! Park across campground and pay $10 for parking fee. I would come back again!!

Pretty easy hike, consistently inclined. parking located across the road. Easy to follow paths. Great views in all directions at summit.

For photos and other hikes visit
instagram.com/gregszymbor

good work out..beautiful views

The only reason I am giving it a four stars is the traffic. Just so many people. And just rude. No trail manners at all. If you don’t wish to hike with loud rude people the best hike elsewhere.

On the other hand, this is a great little out and back trail. Don’t do it in the summer as I’m sure it will be much to hot. Towards the end you do have to make your way up the granite rocks so bring a buddy to help each other. I’m 6 ft 7 inches tall and recorded 92 flights doing this hike.

Beautiful 360 degree views at the top, so bring your camera.

Stunning view! Fairly easy hike. Nice views on the way up too.

One of my favorite hikes in San Diego. Love the view and some fun rockclimbing

good little hike with great views from the peak.

Loved this Trail especially for the views at the top. The switchbacks made for a pretty smooth hike.

Great little drive-by type "get out and stretch your legs" type hike. We were on route to Joshua Tree and needed a break. Awesome views on the way up, superfantastic views at the summit, and another set of terrific views on the way down. This trek just keeps on giving! Just do it!

Lovely, easy hike. Not too steep, really nice views. A little muddy due to snowmelt, and a little windy at the peak, no real worries though. The campground at the start provides nice bathrooms n parking.

Easy hike with 360 degree views. Nice spot to sit and lunch.

This trail seemed more moderate than easy but maybe because it was covered in patches of snow and ice. The stairs to the peak were completely iced over and pretty slippery. Without the railing, there's no way I would have made it up. Beautiful view at the top! Would try it again in nicer weather.

This is on the top list for hikes. Overall the hike was easy and at the end was rewarded with some AMAZING VIEWS. To start you will need to park across the street at the campgrounds. There is a $10 fee for the day use parking. Once parked you can cross the street and start your journey to the top. The hike has lots of shade as you go through the switchbacks to the top. Make sure to take in the views as you work your way to the top, there is lots to of awesome viewpoins. Once you get to the top it is a narrow staircase to the top viewpoint where it is about a 6ft x 6ft area. For our hike it was not to busy and we were able to go up right away. If it is busy, you might endup needing to wait a little in order to prevent going to the viewpoint while it is too crowded. When we went up it was about 50 degrees for the day. I wore a light jacket and it was perfect for the hike. You get a little warm while in the sun, and cold while in the shade / breeze. Prepare for lots of wind at the top! I will be back, awesome hike.

Stellar views like mentioned before. Easy hike, trail is nicely kept up. Summit has a marker . The views are breath taking. Great family hike. No pets allowed thou.I feel and think this is one of San Diego’s hidden gems. A must do even if it’s short and sweet

Great for family. All ages. It’s an easy hike but my son and I ran it. So that made it not so easy. So if you want to burn calories and get a good workout then run it. But if you’re going with the family just to enjoy the views then it’s still just as great but not so hard.

On my top 5!

Excelent trail, we loved it. The views from the top were amazing. We did it before 10:00 AM so it was not so crowded. Must do it again!!

The views at the top are sooooo worth it! Took about 2 hours out & back. Had lunch at the peak. One of my top 5 favorite hikes so far!

Great hike for beginners or those out of shape. Very well maintained trail and switchbacks to make the hike easy. The 360 view at the top is quite good. Took me about 45 minutes to a hour to summit and I'm out of shape. Had the top to myself which is always special. This was in February during a sun set.

Good trail with switchbacks to make the hike easy for family. Nice camping sites at bottom so you can hike this and other trails and leave your tent/RV to come back to.

New favorite hike!!

Nice & Easy & Fun with great views!

I love Alltrails-- up-to-date reports helps me decide if I'll go or not. Blueberry day up top, and chilly but direct sun made it totally do-able with a fleece and jeans on. Very cool granite boulders and viewpoint and stairs at the top, plenty of kiddo's up there today!

Great family hike to the top! Once your at the top the views are beautiful!

One of my favorite hikes in the county. Beautiful view from the top, and not too hard!

great hike. started at Lake Cuyamaca and came up the backside of the mountain on Los Caballos trail. beautiful day and a spectacular view at the end.