Stonewall Peak Trail

Stonewall Peak Trail is a 3.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Julian, California that features a great forest setting and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

rock climbing

Stellar views and a variety of terrain in Cuyamaca Rancho State Park. Shaded oak lined trail with excellent views to the north, east & south. Want to see some of the best that Cuyamaca Rancho State Park has to offer? Hike up Stonewall Peak and enjoy the view of the surrounding park and nearby Lake Cuyamaca. The hike up the east side is a popular and relatively easy trail. The elevation gain is about 1000 feet, but doesn't seem like it with lots of switchbacks surrounded by Cuyamaca's characteristic plant and rock scenery and ever-better views. When you reach the top, climb the stairs and behold the breathtaking 360 degree view. When you get your fill, you can go back down the east side, or head down the "back" side, which heads northwest and circles back around. When there's snow, the "back" side is where it lasts the longest, and you can enjoy an easy, meandering descent. This excursion is of gentle switchbacks through canopies of black oaks, sycamores, and other coniferous trees. Great views of Anza Borrego, the Laguna Mountains, (on clear days) the Salton Sea, and 30+ miles to Palomar Mountains are the reward for all who make the ascent.

One of the most enjoyable hikes in the area.

Great day hike with kids. Made it up and down in about 3 hours with 4 kids under 15. Well marked, well maintained trail with unbelievable views on the way.

Great morning hike

Very easy hike, took less than an hour to summit. A surprising amount of shade on the way up, which is mostly switchbacks.

Great views from the top! For those who are easily bothered, there are lots of tiny flies at the top, but it didn't really bother my friends and I. It was crowded on a holiday weekend but not overbearing. Not a fan of repeating hikes, but I would do this one again.

Great views, scary top

when it's hot, morning is great, even slightly shady, slightly.
great views, trees are coming back after 2003 fire. gradual switchbacks.

This trail is easy, the scenery is beautiful and the weather is just right. Definitely ‘OKAY’ for new hikers.

Easy to moderate trail with some shade. Great view at the top where it is cool and windy; also a nice spot to sit on the rocks to eat a snack while enjoying the view.

Easy hike but the top is rad!

Views are great once you get to the top. But if you are out of shape think twice. This trail is switch back city all the to the top.

AllTrails calles this easy (and I agree), but the Park calls it moderate.
It took me about 45-50 minutes to the top (and I was definitely taking my time). This is a well travelled trail, so it is very easy to navigate.

I saw children with parents on the trail, as well as a few older ones, so the trail is doable across all dynamics and experience levels.

I really enjoyed this one. Got some great pics at the top.

Pretty mellow hike for being a first timer, we went with a friend who showed us an alternate way down that tacked on another 1.5 miles and looped us to the trail head on which we started. Kick ass 360 view.

Easy 4 mile round trip hike!! Great Views once you get to the top!

Fun to watch the soaring vultures and ravens. Insects (flying termites?) at the top not as enjoyable.

Love it beautiful place

Did this one twice. Once in the snow, once in blistering heat. Both times were a blast! The stairway to the summit is the coolest part. Be careful up there if it's iced over. Slip under that railing and you're gonna slide down 1,200 vertical feet. Despite being forested, there's not much shade. So take necessary steps to protect from the sun, it's surprising how hot it gets in this area in the summer. You'd think the higher elevation would make it cooler, but don't underestimate it. Great views, and challenging enough as a day hike. Worth the drive!

Good short trail even on a hot day. New growth from winter rains provide a little shade. Flying termite ants were swarming at the peak so I wasn't able to sit and enjoy the view. Bring water.

One of my favorite hikes because the views are beautiful. The climb is pretty easy and the trail is well marked, with vantage points for great photos.

I loved this trail, very gentle switchbacks and the views are an excellent payoff. My Fitbit clocked this closer to 5 miles so... I brought my 4 year old along on this one and much to my chagrin he was climbing on boulders the entire time, like dude I just wanna get to the top. Some kids said there were 9 rattlesnakes near the top so I was on high alert the whole way up. We didn't see any. Thanks punks. I feel like you might need one of those cute backpacks with a leash on it when you get to the top to keep your wild child from going under the railing and splatting. It's a long way down...

Well maintained trail. A bit of difficult climbing on the way up. Not exactly a cake walk. Easy coming down. Great views at the top!