Stoddard Peak Trail

Stoddard Peak Trail is a 10.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Claremont, California and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from October until May. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Some very nice views and enough steeper portions to get the heart rate up but a good stretch of the trail is a dirt road. However, on the backside of the mountain, the trail turned into a winding narrow walking path, more of what you'd expect. I wasn't really looking for the turn off to the summit but it would've been nice if that was a little more clearly marked. But what I thought was really cool about this hike is where you end up after 10 miles. You're down in a valley surrounded by these beautiful mountains. It has a very surreal feel to it. I was in and out in four hours with a handful of photo stops. All in all, I would do it again.

Really nice and amazing trail. A lot a rocks so where appropriate shoes.

It was sweet-sassy-molassy.

Take Mt Baldy Rd north and turn right on Stoddard rd. Google Mt Baldy Wilderness Preserve, that should take you to the trailhead. Stay on the trail for about 2.5 miles, then look for a stack of small rocks on your right. Then you will start the hardest part of the trail. The trail pretty much disappears and you have to go through a lot of bushes ( wear pants and long sleeves). The peak is kind of difficult to find. There will be 2 false peaks. Just keep going and try to look ahead to see where the trail is leading you and you won't get lost. 6 total miles and it took me 2 hours 15 minutes.

I took a lot of great pictures, but most of the trail was redundant. We couldn't even find the peak

Not much to look at. Very confusing where the trail is actually located

Absolutely beautiful trail. I did this in December it was a chilly morning and warmed up slightly. I wore pants and a sweater. pants are definitely needed. I wish we had found the peak. Definitely going back and completely the hike later.

This is a great hike... lots of bugs this time of year (flies mostly) so take a hat and keep your mouth shut unless you want a little extra protein snack!
We missed the turn off at the 3 mile mark to go to the peak, but we kept going straight past the 3 mile point and went for another mile or more back farther into the mountain range... it was gorgeous, quiet, peaceful... fantastic. This hike can go on for hours.... we were out for 3.5 and could see so much more trail to cover in front of us, but we also knew we were running out of daylight, so we hesitantly turned back. Nice part: we enjoyed a cold foot soak in the watering hole back at the trail head. I will definitely do this one again.