Stoddard Peak Trail

Stoddard Peak Trail is a 6.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Claremont, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

rock climbing

I love this trail. I frequent it often when i need a good quick hike.

I am a beginning hiker and this hike was a great introduction to hiking. I tried to start the day with Devils Backbone and realized I was clearly not ready a couple miles in and settled on Stoddard Peak instead.

The inclines can be a bit much, but luckily the trail flattens out a couple times. Towards the middle there is a nice break, and towards the end it is all smooth sailing to the peak. I didn't make it to the peak itself because I didn't see the trail to it, but I will say it is BEFORE the American flag that someone planted on the mountain.

Overall, great hike. Just be weary of the bugs if you're going in the summer months as they will ruin the hike for you and make you look like a flailing idiot for 75% or more of the hike.

beautiful hike just horrible that people have left so much trash and graffiti behind ☹️

Was great hike very isolated only seen 2 people on a four wheeler who where rock climbing .Was a little confusing finding start of trail and ended up hiking extra mile . Once you park stay left of the stream follow stoddard road you will pass some houses and then it says road closed go around gate and keep going .i hiked to the Cucamonga truck trail and then back it was about 11 miles with the extra hiking to find trailhead . Hike was long but easy .

Great quick hike. Very few people once you get past the baldy road crazies. Many false peaks but a nice clean and easy hike close to home.

The peak gets 5 stars, but the trailhead gets 1. We went on a Saturday morning and came back to our car's smashed windows. Leave nothing of value in the car and consider leaving your windows down. It's such a shame because this hike is truly excellent.

The hike involves following a fire road as it traverses toward Stoddard Flat. Once at the flat (open area with level ground on both sides) follow the ridge up and to the right. Stoddard is the third hill on the ridgeline. The second hill requires a bit of scramble/exposure but just take your time and make sure to watch for sand on the rocks! Last bit of info: there's a false trail that cuts to the right leading to Spring Hill about .5 miles before Stoddard Flat. If you notice you're heading downhill after turning off the fire road, you're likely headed to Spring Hill. Go back to the fire road and keep heading up!

Monday, October 24, 2016

Some very nice views and enough steeper portions to get the heart rate up but a good stretch of the trail is a dirt road. However, on the backside of the mountain, the trail turned into a winding narrow walking path, more of what you'd expect. I wasn't really looking for the turn off to the summit but it would've been nice if that was a little more clearly marked. But what I thought was really cool about this hike is where you end up after 10 miles. You're down in a valley surrounded by these beautiful mountains. It has a very surreal feel to it. I was in and out in four hours with a handful of photo stops. All in all, I would do it again.

Monday, August 22, 2016

Really nice and amazing trail. A lot a rocks so where appropriate shoes.

Saturday, May 07, 2016

It was sweet-sassy-molassy.

Monday, January 11, 2016

Take Mt Baldy Rd north and turn right on Stoddard rd. Google Mt Baldy Wilderness Preserve, that should take you to the trailhead. Stay on the trail for about 2.5 miles, then look for a stack of small rocks on your right. Then you will start the hardest part of the trail. The trail pretty much disappears and you have to go through a lot of bushes ( wear pants and long sleeves). The peak is kind of difficult to find. There will be 2 false peaks. Just keep going and try to look ahead to see where the trail is leading you and you won't get lost. 6 total miles and it took me 2 hours 15 minutes.

Monday, January 11, 2016

I took a lot of great pictures, but most of the trail was redundant. We couldn't even find the peak

Thursday, December 24, 2015

Not much to look at. Very confusing where the trail is actually located

Thursday, December 10, 2015

Absolutely beautiful trail. I did this in December it was a chilly morning and warmed up slightly. I wore pants and a sweater. pants are definitely needed. I wish we had found the peak. Definitely going back and completely the hike later.

Wednesday, September 23, 2015

This is a great hike... lots of bugs this time of year (flies mostly) so take a hat and keep your mouth shut unless you want a little extra protein snack!
We missed the turn off at the 3 mile mark to go to the peak, but we kept going straight past the 3 mile point and went for another mile or more back farther into the mountain range... it was gorgeous, quiet, peaceful... fantastic. This hike can go on for hours.... we were out for 3.5 and could see so much more trail to cover in front of us, but we also knew we were running out of daylight, so we hesitantly turned back. Nice part: we enjoyed a cold foot soak in the watering hole back at the trail head. I will definitely do this one again.

Thursday, August 27, 2015

This was a good hike but not too thrilled about the thick brush you had to trek through. Almost poked my eye out twice on some branches and thick brush. But once we got to the top the view was worth it. I would definitely recommend wearing pants.

Monday, June 15, 2015

What a neat little hike! I loved the fairy tale cottage and for being June the forest was still quite plush.

Once you get to Stoddard flat and are in the clearing make sure to look for the very small foot trail that veers off to the right. It's marked by rocks pointed as arrows but it is still hard to miss. We walked past it but turned around about a half mile later and found it on the way back.

Also, make sure you keep going until you find the marker for the peak, there are two false peaks you have to summit before getting to the true Stoddard peak.

Wednesday, December 31, 2014

The Stoddard Peak Trail is a fantastic 4 hour trek that takes you through the lower regions of the Mt. Baldy mountains. Your hike starts after you pass through an area full of log cabins and cottages, then takes you across some pretty scenery. I would advise bringing multiple layers during the winter season as the temperature can drop drastically on the backside of the mountain. Keep your eyes open at the last bend for the small trail that leads up to the peak, we almost missed it because of the shrubbery but its all worth it because the view is amazing. My group and I were lucky enough to literally have our head in the clouds and the best part was after all the pictures were taken it started to snow. Hiking a mountain side during snowfall made this an extremely memorable experience. Enjoy!

Thursday, November 07, 2013

This is a little kknow route near Mt Baldy trails off Mt Baldy Road. There is a road to follow that passes a number of cabins. Very quaint. As you start out on the trail the brush gets quite thick as you near the peak. Long pants advised. Enjoy

Sunday, March 03, 2013

Well let me start off by saying get a map of the trail before you get up there. I was using my iphone for directions to the place to park. Once I reached the little parking lot I tried to look up the trail directions but no service. I walked up the service road that ended by some cabins. Went back down to the other side of the stream and found a little path like a old road. It was pretty cool. Quiet with a sound of the water running. Not to hot. Not to cold.

Monday, February 18, 2013

This hike is best done in cooler months as most of the trail is sunny. The first portion of the trail is easy following the old Barrett Stoddard Truck Trail. As you reach a peak on the right, look for a footpath going uphill through the brush. You'll want to wear long pants for this part and be prepared for a bit of rock scrambling. The trail climbs over two smaller peaks before getting to Stoddard Peak. Views are spectacular.