Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Stoddard Peak [CLOSED]

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(336)
Angeles National Forest

Stoddard Peak is a 5.9 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Claremont, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 5.9 miles Elevation Gain: 1,145 feet Route Type: Out & Back

rock climbing

closed

Note: Users have reported this trail has a temporary closure due to COVID-19. Please see the park's website for up to date information.

Love it

CLOSED 4/11. Parking lot, trail head closed with caution tape. There was someone there monitoring the trail head and giving tickets. Stay safe.

This was a great trail with a great summit view! This is a fairly easy trail but gets moderate the last mile when you get off the bike trail. (If you go, make sure to check the AllTrails map to see where the V occurs so you don’t miss the way to the top). It does get colder up top, i suggest gloves and a light jacket. We will be back very soon to showcase this trail to your close friends. Stay safe California and keep the trails clean!

My girlfriends and I dd this hike on Wednesday, March 18. Drove up on Mountain Ave/Baldy Rd.. off the 210 Fwy. towards Baldy Village. It’s very easy to miss the small parking lot on your right hand side. Only about 10-12 cars can park here, if you’re lucky to get a space. There was only one more car on Wednesday when we got there. From here to the peak, it’s 6 miles. The road was a little bit wet, there were two small creek crossings. No snow at all ( too low for that) but you see the snowy mountains nearby. Nice to take pictures with that background. The trail was in good condition all the way up. Someone had recently cleared the path closer to the peak by trimming the overgrown greenery/bushes. Thank you whoever you are! It’s an easy hike, mostly flat, until about half a mile to the peak. There you have a little bit of a climb, lots of rock, big boulder climbing to make it to the top and have an amazing 360 view of the entire area. I highly recommend trekking poles mainly for the rocky and steep top. Wear hiking boots. Also wear thick gloves during the winter and early spring. It’s cold up there. Our hands were freezing at the beginning of our hike which we started at 7:45 a.m. On our way down, my friends and I set out lots of small rocks to indicate a more clear path to this peak at the place where it’s kind of confusing to tell which way to go. It’s a “ V” kind of path, about half a mile to the peak. Stay to the right to go up and hopefully our rock path will make it easier for you to see. We enjoyed this hike. We walked fast on the way down so it took us about 3 hrs altogether to do this hike.

I absolutely loved this hike. I just hiked it this past weekend (March 2020) and it was the perfect conditions weather wise for some amazing views. It’s a great hike to build up your stamina and get you ready for harder hikes. It was relatively easy until the last half mile or so it became much trickier to find and navigate the trail to the actual peak. There were two peaks we thought were the actual end points but found out we had to keep going just a bit further until we got to the final peak.

This trail has amazing views. I would definitely do this trail again. My only warning is that the trail is not clearly marked

This trail was a lot different then I expected. I found the trail easily from the fire road, thanks rock tower! When I finally hit a mountain I thought yes I did it, only to see another mountain in the distance. Once I hit that mountain, I thought yes, I made it! Only to realize there was still one more mountain to climb! Ugh! Let me back up a bit. The gnats are gnarly and all over your face & ears. Repellent is a MUST! Once you ascend out of the canyon, it’s nothing but sun! Sunscreen is a MUST! Take lots of water. Then take even more. I finished my 2L by the time I made it back to the car because it was so hot out. I did not hike with poles, but prepare yourself for lots of rocky spots. Poles would help if you have them. Some rocks look safe, but don’t underestimate their ability to be lose! Lol. It’s a a rocky scramble up and down getting to the peak, so just be prepared! Once you finally get to Stoddard Peak it’s gorgeous! But beware the bees up there are crazy fierce! Not just honey bees either, some huge black bees so prepare yourself. There are also fire ants up there. When I went to grab the ammo box to write my name on the notepad there was a fire ant hill underneath, and completely caught me off guard! They were even in the ammo box itself! There were also, gorgeous butterflies up there. The ammo box is filled with notebooks and sunglasses, an emergency blanket, safety glasses, what appears to be a nasty old energy bar of some sort, a pink warrior banner, and many other weird things. Sign your name! You made it to the top! Pat yourself in the back and take pictures with the peak sign!

private property

It was a pleasant hike in cool weather. The first part was relatively easy ascend of 2.6 miles of the fire road. The last 0.5 mile up to the peak is a single track trail somewhat of a challenge. Some spots requires some minor rock climbing, An 8 year old boy in our group have no problem with the hike. It was not too crowded even on a Saturday. Note that they posted no parking signs on the right side (east side) parking spaces of Mt Baldy Road. There are only about 10 car spaces on the left (east) side of Mt Baldy Road. When we came back from the hike at 11 am people parked on the right side parking anyway despite of the signs.

Great hike! Not too crowded and a beautiful view from the top. It’s very easy to miss the turn off to the summit of the trail. If you find you’ve been defending for a while you probably missed the turn off to the peak.

Second time around and finally found the trail up to the peaks! It's exactly 2.55 miles from the parking lot off Mt Baldy Road to your right. I placed stacked rocks and marked with more rocks on the roadside for the trail going up. IT was cold and windy but the views were great. I tried it once a few months ago but couldn't find the trail leading to the three peaks (the last one to the south is Stoddard Peak with a V12 marker and a ammo box filled with notes, protein bar, and aluminum foil).

Stoddard Trail is a good day hike for beginner hikers to train themselves if they want to get into hiking and backpacking. I completed it in 3hrs, but for the newbie it might take longer. Bring 2L of H2O, snacks, and poles (if you need poles, bring them). Please carry out your waist with you. Be friendly to environment. Don’t worry about the bugs..... there are not too many - you will be fine. They are harmless. Don’t worry about vegetation(s).... that are natural. You have to cross through, under, and over them. You will be fine. Once you get a quarter-mile away from the peak, look for two big boulders, one is on the left and the other is on the right. After the second boulder, the peak is right there. (Once you start hiking up the mountain, follow the backbone to the peak.... keep in mind that it is cover by vegetation..... just look down for the trail and follow it.). Have a good hike!

The trail is really easy to follow until you get to the clearing to turn onto the narrow trail up Stoddard Peak. We got off the trail a few times going down because it’s overgrown at some points. Just be careful where you’re going. Lots of bugs on this trail. It’s worse when it’s hot, but they were still swarming today. Overall it’s a pretty good trail that is decently challenging.

Not my favorite. The wife liked it though.

Perfect day. Just a bit of snow for about 20 yards towards the flat before the cutoff to summit.

We caught some rain and maybe a bit of hail but it was totally worth it. lots of fallen braches along the road and some very muddy spots but you can easily perambulate about. waterproof boots highly recommend.