Stoddard Peak Trail

Stoddard Peak Trail is a 6.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Claremont, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

rock climbing

Great trail and area, but don't park in the lot near the road. Break-ins happen often and there was even a car theft two weeks ago. There's parking farther in, just past the Edison facility. Park head-in within the arrows.

This was a fun hike. All the reviews were accurate about the beginning being confusing. I parked at the top and walked down the dirt road and saw more parking. Continue to walk up the “private road” and follow it past the houses on the right. After a while you will see a gate past the homes. After that you will only see hikers and maybe a few mountain bikers. I got a little confused on where to turn to start hiking to the peak. You will see a smaller turn to your right and you will bushwack your way up the peak.

10/10 - I adored this hike.
If you're going to do this hike in the summer months I would not recommend starting after 630am. Also, make sure you bring some sort of bug repellent patch or spray. There are only a couple of areas that it's a problem (down in the canyon near the creek), but it's pretty brutal without any repellent. The beginning of the hike is sort of confusing. The AllTrails app kept me from straying too far from the path. Don't turn right at the first fork. Pass the "residence parking" sign and keep going straight, crossing the creek, then you'll veer up towards the right and squeeze past/hop over the gate blocking Stoddard Fire Road. From there you're good to go.
If you are going to summit do as others before me have written, and look to your right once the trail evens out on both sides. If you keep going it's a beautiful hike (I missed the side trail even though I was looking for it), but it won't get you to Stoddard Peak. I did build a small cairn, and hikers at some point before me had kind of bordered the path to the side trail with stones and branches (I will upload photos). Don't even start up the side trail if you don't have enough water, long pants, and trekking poles. It's a bushwacking situation, and very rocky one you get up top. Personally, I wouldn't have attempted it without my poles and a healthy dose of dedication.
There is a peak register at the top. I plan on doing this hike again soon and will bring another writing utensil or two, since all that was in there was one mechanical pencil. The bushwacking is worth it, if you're up for it.

I love this trail.....one of my favorites close to home!! Today we just continued on the trail didn’t even attempt to fight through the bushes to get to the peak. That part of the trail really needs some maintenance. Otherwise BEAUTIFUL and scenic. I love it!

Very confusing if you just show up and start walking around without doing any research. When you take a right off the road, you will see a small parking area after you do down the little hill, go ahead and park on the asphalt. if you go onto the dirt you have gone to far... you walk up the dirt road to begin this hike. Do not go behind the rocks next to the parking, there is a trail there that looks like a hike (and it may very well be) but it leads down hill and is tagged really badly and littered. The actual trail is very nice. Go past the first set of houses by staying to the left. The hike is not extremely challenging, but will give you a good work out. There is a lot of wildlife, we saw squirrels, birds, and a deer.

This is a beautiful and fun hike! I went with a great group and we took advantage of the many great photo ops! I would recommend long sleeves and leggings/pants for this hike because towards the peak there is a lot of overgrown vegatation that can scratch and poke you and could quite possibly give you a tick. Other than that enjoy the views and always take plenty of water and wear sunscreen. :)

Great hike! Bring lots of water. My dog loved it too!

Beautiful hike. Bring enough water and food for more than 6 miles especially if starting the hike after 8am. Prepare for full exposure on the way back and try to be done by 1pm when the sun is the hottest. The brush to pass through is no joke...very unmaintained. Check for ticks afterwards too!

The trail was BEAUTIFUL!!!! Very Scenic and you’re surrounded by beauty!! The last 1.5 miles to the peak are difficult. It’s very steep, lots of bushes and loose gravel. Would advises thick pants and long sleeve if only for that portion of the hike!! I didn’t make it to the actual PEAK I was too nervous about the narrow section!!!!! However my 19 year old daughter and I LOVED IT!!!

So this hike was absolutely beautiful, but it was a puzzle to get to and to finish. My hiking partner and I read up on this trail on a few other sites and one of them mentioned frequent car break ins at the trailhead so we ended up taking my Jeep all the way to the locked gate at the actual start of the trailhead. Don't do this if you don't have a high clearance vehicle! It also cuts off a significant chunk of the mileage for the hike. I also suppose you don't really have to but I am quite attached to my car and all of the things in it.
Also, the path to the peak is really!!! overgrown. Wear some thick pants because, while my UA leggings held up nicely, I definitely got a few bruises from all of the rigid bush branches and what not. It was totally worth it though.

Beautiful hike with plenty of shady and sunny spots. Probably wouldn’t do this in the summer when it’s really hot but my husband, 9month old corgi and I had a blast! Be prepared for damn feet as there were several streams to cross towards the beginning of the trail

I love this trail. I frequent it often when i need a good quick hike.

I am a beginning hiker and this hike was a great introduction to hiking. I tried to start the day with Devils Backbone and realized I was clearly not ready a couple miles in and settled on Stoddard Peak instead.

The inclines can be a bit much, but luckily the trail flattens out a couple times. Towards the middle there is a nice break, and towards the end it is all smooth sailing to the peak. I didn't make it to the peak itself because I didn't see the trail to it, but I will say it is BEFORE the American flag that someone planted on the mountain.

Overall, great hike. Just be weary of the bugs if you're going in the summer months as they will ruin the hike for you and make you look like a flailing idiot for 75% or more of the hike.

Wednesday, July 05, 2017

beautiful hike just horrible that people have left so much trash and graffiti behind ☹️

Sunday, April 23, 2017

Was great hike very isolated only seen 2 people on a four wheeler who where rock climbing .Was a little confusing finding start of trail and ended up hiking extra mile . Once you park stay left of the stream follow stoddard road you will pass some houses and then it says road closed go around gate and keep going .i hiked to the Cucamonga truck trail and then back it was about 11 miles with the extra hiking to find trailhead . Hike was long but easy .

Friday, April 14, 2017

Great quick hike. Very few people once you get past the baldy road crazies. Many false peaks but a nice clean and easy hike close to home.

Saturday, April 08, 2017

The peak gets 5 stars, but the trailhead gets 1. We went on a Saturday morning and came back to our car's smashed windows. Leave nothing of value in the car and consider leaving your windows down. It's such a shame because this hike is truly excellent.

The hike involves following a fire road as it traverses toward Stoddard Flat. Once at the flat (open area with level ground on both sides) follow the ridge up and to the right. Stoddard is the third hill on the ridgeline. The second hill requires a bit of scramble/exposure but just take your time and make sure to watch for sand on the rocks! Last bit of info: there's a false trail that cuts to the right leading to Spring Hill about .5 miles before Stoddard Flat. If you notice you're heading downhill after turning off the fire road, you're likely headed to Spring Hill. Go back to the fire road and keep heading up!

Monday, October 24, 2016

Some very nice views and enough steeper portions to get the heart rate up but a good stretch of the trail is a dirt road. However, on the backside of the mountain, the trail turned into a winding narrow walking path, more of what you'd expect. I wasn't really looking for the turn off to the summit but it would've been nice if that was a little more clearly marked. But what I thought was really cool about this hike is where you end up after 10 miles. You're down in a valley surrounded by these beautiful mountains. It has a very surreal feel to it. I was in and out in four hours with a handful of photo stops. All in all, I would do it again.

Monday, August 22, 2016

Really nice and amazing trail. A lot a rocks so where appropriate shoes.

Saturday, May 07, 2016

It was sweet-sassy-molassy.

Monday, January 11, 2016

Take Mt Baldy Rd north and turn right on Stoddard rd. Google Mt Baldy Wilderness Preserve, that should take you to the trailhead. Stay on the trail for about 2.5 miles, then look for a stack of small rocks on your right. Then you will start the hardest part of the trail. The trail pretty much disappears and you have to go through a lot of bushes ( wear pants and long sleeves). The peak is kind of difficult to find. There will be 2 false peaks. Just keep going and try to look ahead to see where the trail is leading you and you won't get lost. 6 total miles and it took me 2 hours 15 minutes.

Monday, January 11, 2016

I took a lot of great pictures, but most of the trail was redundant. We couldn't even find the peak

Thursday, December 24, 2015

Not much to look at. Very confusing where the trail is actually located

Thursday, December 10, 2015

Absolutely beautiful trail. I did this in December it was a chilly morning and warmed up slightly. I wore pants and a sweater. pants are definitely needed. I wish we had found the peak. Definitely going back and completely the hike later.

Wednesday, September 23, 2015

This is a great hike... lots of bugs this time of year (flies mostly) so take a hat and keep your mouth shut unless you want a little extra protein snack!
We missed the turn off at the 3 mile mark to go to the peak, but we kept going straight past the 3 mile point and went for another mile or more back farther into the mountain range... it was gorgeous, quiet, peaceful... fantastic. This hike can go on for hours.... we were out for 3.5 and could see so much more trail to cover in front of us, but we also knew we were running out of daylight, so we hesitantly turned back. Nice part: we enjoyed a cold foot soak in the watering hole back at the trail head. I will definitely do this one again.

Thursday, August 27, 2015

This was a good hike but not too thrilled about the thick brush you had to trek through. Almost poked my eye out twice on some branches and thick brush. But once we got to the top the view was worth it. I would definitely recommend wearing pants.

Monday, June 15, 2015

What a neat little hike! I loved the fairy tale cottage and for being June the forest was still quite plush.

Once you get to Stoddard flat and are in the clearing make sure to look for the very small foot trail that veers off to the right. It's marked by rocks pointed as arrows but it is still hard to miss. We walked past it but turned around about a half mile later and found it on the way back.

Also, make sure you keep going until you find the marker for the peak, there are two false peaks you have to summit before getting to the true Stoddard peak.

Wednesday, December 31, 2014

The Stoddard Peak Trail is a fantastic 4 hour trek that takes you through the lower regions of the Mt. Baldy mountains. Your hike starts after you pass through an area full of log cabins and cottages, then takes you across some pretty scenery. I would advise bringing multiple layers during the winter season as the temperature can drop drastically on the backside of the mountain. Keep your eyes open at the last bend for the small trail that leads up to the peak, we almost missed it because of the shrubbery but its all worth it because the view is amazing. My group and I were lucky enough to literally have our head in the clouds and the best part was after all the pictures were taken it started to snow. Hiking a mountain side during snowfall made this an extremely memorable experience. Enjoy!

Thursday, November 07, 2013

This is a little kknow route near Mt Baldy trails off Mt Baldy Road. There is a road to follow that passes a number of cabins. Very quaint. As you start out on the trail the brush gets quite thick as you near the peak. Long pants advised. Enjoy

Sunday, March 03, 2013

Well let me start off by saying get a map of the trail before you get up there. I was using my iphone for directions to the place to park. Once I reached the little parking lot I tried to look up the trail directions but no service. I walked up the service road that ended by some cabins. Went back down to the other side of the stream and found a little path like a old road. It was pretty cool. Quiet with a sound of the water running. Not to hot. Not to cold.