Stevens Trail

Stevens Trail is a 9 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Colfax, California that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 9.0 miles Elevation Gain: 1,735 feet Route Type: Out & Back

cave

Stevens Trail is very scenic and rich in history - it is also on the National Register of Historic places. Built by Truman Allen Stevens it was used as a toll road for miners that needed to get from the mining town of Iowa Hill to the railroad town of Colfax. The trail was forgotten but then rediscovered in 1969 by a boy scout, Eric Kiel, and re-charted as part of his scouting project. Today it is maintained by the Bureau of Land Management. Please do not attempt in extreme heat and be wary of the hot ground on your dog's paws. Bring water.

I can’t get enough! My fav trail for hiking and running. Beyond gorgeous!

Beautiful trail that goes down to the river.

It’s steep

Love the hike/run. This is my 2nd trip & plan on going again. Enjoyed all the views and the amazing swimming hole. It is everything you would expect from hiking (bugs, sun, vegetation).

Other than the bugs here and there, beautiful hike! Gorgeous river!

Decent trail, nice swimming hole.

This was a great little hike but if hiking with your dog beware the afternoon heat! Parts of the trail have full sun exposure all day and the ground and rocks get really hot.

Beautiful trail! Swimming at the bottom was worth the challenging climb back up the canyon!

Trail gets a little skinny/washed out on a very steep section on your decent to the river. Encountered a big coiled up, mad rattle snake right on the trail one of the days and had to wait for it to move (40 mins) because the poison oak was so thick on each side to go around. Other than that it’s a nice trail. Bring water, bug spray and sunscreen.

great trail to lovely spot on North Fork and hard work back up the canyon

Hiked last week and is gorgeous. Didn’t make it down to the river but will next time! Hard uphill trek back to car but well worth it. Must have lost 5lbs.

great hike, nice views. Down to the river is nice, back up is a workout... will definitely do this again

Great trail for experienced hikers not for beginers. Bring lots of water. Dont go on a hot day (lesson learned). will return to this hike again soon.

We went when it was super hot and it was nothing special. Long unshaded stretches with some decent views.

it was such a beautiful hike, but I was not as prepared for the incline in the heat on the way back. was still worth the 4 hours!!

Highly recommended trail. Steep cliffs and dropoffs along long portions of the trail. Not for the faint of heart. Going down is a breeze, but getting back up is quite the trek. Just be sure to bring extra water. I went through a gallon by the time I was back to the parking lot. Best swimming spot in the area.

Awesome views!

The first part is mostly just downhill. But it’s an out and back so that means it’s mostly uphill to get back to your car. Prep well, take insulated bottles of water and electrolytes. Like, A LOT of water in the summer. I did see a couple of people with kids - the older kids looked like they did okay, but under 5 in midday - not the best idea. It is very awesome and beautiful and the water entices you at about half way down until you get to the bottom to swim in it. Current was kind of strong but it was cool and clear. Probably should build up to this hike, but it’s worth the effort to build up to. ALSO! Go early. It’s too exposed for most of the hike to the sun which makes it feel 15-20 degrees higher.

After hiking away from the sound of traffic on I-80, this trail winds you down and along the American River. There is little shade cover on the majority of the trail. As you go down and then return with a climb back up, I would advise to get an early start on a hot day during the summer. As you gradually descend you begin to get terrific views of the river. Once you get somewhat close to the river you will begin to see trails veering off the the right toward the river. If you stay on the main trail it eventually leads right to the river and basically dead ends there. There are plenty of nice spots to sit and enjoy the water.

So I went on a really hot Saturday. I started early and brought my dogs. I read the reviews saying the trail is almost entirely in the sun but I thought it would be okay if I went early enough. (Early to me was 9am start) alas, I was wrong and almost killed my dogs. They were SO hot and one of them even burned her paw pads! I felt terrible. Luckily there are two little waterfalls where they could cool down. The hike is beautiful and hanging out at the river is awesome! I’d just want other dog owners to know to not bring your dogs on this hike on hot days and probably best to be done with the hike by 9. Lesson learned.

Great trail!! Slightly overgrown in some areas. Would recommend lots of water!! If you go in the afternoon you get more shade from the hillside. Lots of lizards.

Nice hike without having to head further up the mountains. It gets hot but there is plenty of water along side the trail for your dogs to drink. I drank the river water just fine as well. BRING BUG SPRAY! The beginning of the hike is shaded and moist so as a consequence there is a lot of mosquitos. I thought the hike wasn’t shaded at all and didn’t bring any and got a dozen bites. I have a husky and I also made an error in the day I did the hike and the time I started. I’ve done hot hikes before with her but not for 9 miles. We had a fast pace on the way out which was getting me hot as well as my dog and I had to take a break and let her submerge herself in a creek and cool down because she was close to heat stroking. If you have hair dog consider starting early morning to avoid heat.

Good hike with the dog! Lots of natural water sources so I wasn’t worried about running out of water for the pup:)

Fairly easy, some of the trail is a little unforgiving coming back out but getting that heart pumping is good for you. I've yet to see bears, mountains lions, or snakes... definitely bring bug spray and you're golden. Enjoy this beautiful place we live in.

Great hike! Fantastic views of the canyon, mostly downhill on the way in and uphill on the way out.