EveryTrail is now a part of AllTrails! Please click here to read more.

Stevens Trail

Stevens Trail is a 7.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Colfax, California that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Stevens Trail is very scenic, rich in history and is on the National Register of Historic places. Built by Truman Allen Stevens it was used as a toll road for miners that needed to get from the mining town of Iowa Hill to the railroad town of Colfax. The trail was forgotten but then rediscovered in 1969 but a boy scout, Eric Kiel, and re-charted as part of his scouting project. Today it is maintained by the Bureau of Land Management.

My daughter and I hiked the trail and ran into a few problems. It did seem longer and more difficult than AllTrails stated. Thanks to the hiking group that provided the electrolytes (see Pat Bingham's comments below). The thing we found, especially on the way back was that the trail markers seemed in short supply. AND AllTrails didn't track real well, okay, at all. Thank goodness for my Suunto Ambit to get us back. Again, thanks to all the hikers that helped us.

Love It.... it was alright

Great hike. I would say moderate hike. It might be tough for kids. Be prepared for enough water for hot days. Beautiful views!!!

See Natalie below. She is spot on. Only things I'd add is that there are a few spots on the trail that are "exposed" to thin air. I have moderate vertigo, and I was able to power thru those few spots, about 2/3 of the way down to the river. But, if you really have a mental issue with the looks of a trail that is next to nowhere, you might want to consider only going down past the waterfalls and then coming back. Also, it is possible to bypass the tricky waterfall crossing by following the biker trail that goes on the road to the right going down, and forks to the left coming up. Our hiking group from Reno is all over 60, and we completed the up and down in 5 hours including lunch at the river and rest stops. Its hot there right now and bring more water than you think you'll need. You'll be thankful you did.

Ok.... first let me say, this was an awesome hike with cool streams, waterfalls and different terrain but AllTrails description is off. Way off!! It states its 7.1 mi when at the trail head it states 4.5 mi to fork of river (which we all noticed after the fact). Making it 9 mi. And it's rated as moderate, if you're an athlete or avid hiker this may be true. I work out 5 days a week and would rate it mod- hard. If your local to the area, hidden falls is also rated moderate and that is an easy walk. This trail is not an all skills kinda place and only kid friendly for about 1.5 mi. It was a great hike with cool views just be prepared for the climb out on the way back. Lastly, if ppl say you're "almost there" or "only 20 more minutes"... they're lying!!!! Lol.

One of my favorite day hikes. The trail offers outstanding views and is well maintained. The hike in is all downhill which means you are going to be hiking uphill on the way out but it's fairly gradual. Make sure you give yourself enough time to stop and enjoy the scenery and bring plenty of water and a camera.

Beautiful but the trail gets hot and there isn't a lot of shade after the first couple of miles in so be mindful of the time of day your going because the way back is all up hill! Stunning views and the clear, cold water feels great! Lots of wild flowers along the trail, too.

Most scenic hike I've done anywhere in the world. Even more surprising is that the trail head is in Colfax, California. I've driven past it a couple of hundred times on my commutes between San Francisco and Tahoe. Never knew it was there until today. Thank you Alltrails!

There was about a dozen waterfalls in a span of 3.5 miles. The most dramatic one, the trail cuts through the middle and you can look down so far that it disappears, look up and you can see 50 feet or more of falls above you. One of the falls formed a natural infinity pool over-looking the canyon. The cliffs and trail were literally carpeted in different color wildflowers.

About half way through the hike, there's a bat cave. It's almost tall enough to stand up in. I followed it back about 50 feet before I ran out of light.

I saw countless colorful lizards that I've never seen before, a few snakes and tons of birds. The hike ends at the North Fork of the American River, where you could see about dozen large fish swimming a hundred yards away the water was so clear..

The trail follows the river canyon down for about half of the hike where in places the sheer cliff drops off hundreds of feet right at the trails edge.

If you're a hiker or nature person this has to be on your bucket list. Absolutely amazing. This one trail made the subscription worth it.

Nice quiet hike. I did this mid Mag. Most of it was shaded. I'd suggest bringing extra sunblock and visor or hat. Some areas the trails were narrow with a steep drop off. A few shallow water crossings. We ended up off getting off the trail to take a very nice break by the water - great place for a lunch break. Not a good area for swimming as the water was moving very swift. Enjoyed walking into the bat cave. Loved this hike.

What a great hike, it was perfect sunny weather on a Saturday in May. Took us 4 hrs total round trip including 45 min lunch break by the river. Beautiful flowers along the entire trail, which is shaded in some areas and exposed in others. Bring hat, sunblock, snacks, and water. No parking fees. Brought our small dogs with us both got tired on the wayback. Downside is horse poop and dog poop on some parts of the trail, if you bring your dog please be sure to take poop bags and clean up. Otherwise, definitely recommend this time of year!

Wow, was this trail beautiful. We went as a big group, about 6 adults plus 2 small dogs. There were many spots with absolutely fantastic views of the river. A couple different waterfalls of varying sizes, a few of which you cross over. You do cross over the main waterfall, with a pretty steep drop off to your side, but as long as you are paying attention, it's not scary, nor should you have any problems! There are a few points where the trail becomes narrow and a steep drop to the side. Just always watch where you are walking, as you should always be doing. :] There were also a few turn offs to get closer to the river as well as getting to the river at the end. I felt like it was pretty varied when it came to cover and direct sunlight so it felt like a good mix. If you do decide to bring dogs, make sure they are very brave and mountain goat like, lol! Unless they are good to be carried for certain portions. HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS HIKE. Moderate is definitely an accurate difficulty, the toughest part is probably the end, if you are more out of shape, because it is mainly all uphill. But not too steep.

Thanks for reading!