EveryTrail is now a part of AllTrails! Please click here to read more.

Stevens Trail

Stevens Trail is a 9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Colfax, California that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Stevens Trail is very scenic, rich in history and is on the National Register of Historic places. Built by Truman Allen Stevens it was used as a toll road for miners that needed to get from the mining town of Iowa Hill to the railroad town of Colfax. The trail was forgotten but then rediscovered in 1969 but a boy scout, Eric Kiel, and re-charted as part of his scouting project. Today it is maintained by the Bureau of Land Management.

This was my very first hike very beautiful scenery I really wanted to see the waterfall but it was dried up we didn't make it down to the water because it seemed like the trail that my friends took at one time was not visible and we didn't want to take a risk and get lost the hike down was pretty easy but going back up very challenging I had a good workout I had a good time I would definitely come back here again

Be careful not to get lost, there are too many trail routes to choose from. I liked the scenery and even thought there are a lot of steep narrow areas, I tried not to look down and went all the way to the river which was pretty and relaxing, but on the way up it was way harder and we ended up getting lost ( a homeless older guy scared my friend and she was walking way too fast) we should have stayed on our left trail up above, a straight path but took the right and had to climb big rocks and ended up on by the train track and a residential area, had to get a ride from a car going by because we were so tired and could not go back for another mile, We were all the way off. I think they should put more signs up or yellow bright tape to indicate where to go, because when we got lost I was really pooped out.

I enjoyed the scenery on the way out a little too much. As a result, I got behind. Trail running the way back was a real good time.
It's possible to go off trail and spend some nice time by the river. There was a good amount of shaded area but there was also a portion where one is under the sun.

Great trail! Good distance for a day hike with some great views and secluded areas of the river are available. I'll definitely hike it again!

This was a beautiful trail and a fun challenge. I didn't go the entire way because of the steep drop-off at one point of the trail and I am a baby when it comes to heights. I tried twice but just couldn't get my feet to move any further. I will attempt it again another time.

This trail has a great mix of forested areas and great views when the tree coverage breaks up.
I took my dog and he had the time of his life. I wish we could have made it to the river because that would really have blown his mind.

Trail is predominately gently sloping with one steep rocky section. Total elevation gain closer to 1500 ft.

The trail info needs correcting. My GPS had it as 8.8 miles. The trailhead is at 2400ft and the river is at 1250ft, which makes a 1150ft elevation gain. It's a very beautiful trail. It starts out in a deciduous forest, watch out for the Poison Oak! It's thick, but it has been cut back away from the trail itself. After about two miles you are on the slope of a mountain with great views of the American River. It is quite exposed. Go for a dip in the river if it's warm to cool off. I Hiked in Early September and nearly consumed all of my 2.5 liters of water. I'd bring three to be safe.

It was awesome I went up for my birthday with a couple of friends the most beautiful place in California

Beautiful hike.. the trail is great. Definately make sure to take plenty of water with you. Going in is pretty easy, but the hike back out is a little more challenging for someone just getting back into hiking. The views are absolutely amazing. I will definitely be doing this trail more often. The river at the point you come to is so clear and refreshing.

Fun technical trail, and the views are great! Mostly single track

Its summer bring a minimum of 3 liters of water
I saw a couple that only had a small water bottle after 4mi. Stay safe prepare before any hike.