Stevens Trail East

Stevens Trail East is a 6.4 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Colfax, California that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

The trailhead is to the right/behind the Iowa Hill Store.

Didn't quite make it to he trail unfortunately, the road in is 8.5 miles, very windy, narrow and downhill. I drive a 2005 Honda Civic, after about 2.5 miles my brakes were cooked. Just had them done so that shouldn't have happened. I also had to pass a Jeep on a very narrow part with a shear cliff on the right on me (no guard rails). Didn't feel very comfortable after that. Ended up turning around and going to a different trail. I'd recommend having a vehicle with really good brakes. Not the best road for big vehicles. Be safe!

Wow! What an interesting trail!! We loved all of the amazing sights and that it was secluded! Our dog was able to be off leash, and we had a great time! To start, getting to this trail is what I felt to be treacherous. It took 30 minutes to go 8.5 miles uphill to reach the trail. The roads are extremely windy and it felt a little dangerous in some parts (I drive a large SUV). We knew we reached the area once we saw the little local store, Iowa Hill Store. We parked, and the trailhead was right behind the store. It's a downhill hike most of the way (and we didn't make it the entire way). There was SO MUCH to see! We walked through a beautiful waterfall area, saw the gorgeous clear blue river below, and it felt like we were in a fantasy land with all of the trees, moss, mushrooms, and narrow trails! Multiple scenary types throughout the hike, which is what made it so spectacular! Others mentioned poison oak in the beginning of the trail, which I did spot, so THANK YOU! The hike back was a great work-out on the legs. The only thing that we didn't like about the trail, is that it very shaded - so it was dark and wet through most of our hike. Not usually a big deal, but we went on a sunny day, hoping to catch plenty of sunrays, and that definitely did not happen. Overall though - REALLY fun trail! I'd go again when it's warmer out so I can make it to the bottom and swim with my pup!

Had a fun day hike here last weekend. Cool little 'market' at the trailhead (yes, the trail begins behind the market). Keep a heads up for poison oak at the beginning of the trail. We ALMOST finished it and made it to the water, but a part of the trail was washed out. Without dogs we could have just done some quick bouldering to get around it to the other side, but that was a no go with the hounds. Didn't bump into anybody on the path. Some great views and even a bench halfway (?) in that overlooks the river where we got to watch some kayakers head down. I mean... There was a bench... So we had to sit, right? :) mostly decline on the way out. Cross a few small creeks... Dogs loved it. If you go when it's skeeter season, definitely bring some spray or just long sleeve up.

We were able to find the start of the trail fairly easily; however, we got lost trying to stay on the trail. About half a mile to a mile in we somehow ended up walking into someone’s backyard and ended up back at the Iowa road. We never finished the trail.

When we headed back down to I-80 fwy, the road closed. The fire rescue had to pull out two cars that drove off into the embankment. Just a warning to those that plan to hike this trail... to get to the trailhead after the Colfax exit, you’ll have to drive down a windy 8mile narrow road made up mainly one ways. You’ll only be able to drive less than 25mph on this road if you don’t want to end up like those two cars. Be safe and good luck on this trail.

Enjoyed Penny the local guide dog who lead the way and made sure we were okay on our hike. It was a beautiful hike. There was one spot that you had to climb over a rock because the trail collapsed. We went in December so we weren't able to get down to the river at the end of the trail because the rocks were slippery. The water was beautiful and clear. Coming back in the summer to swim

It's a moderate trail with a lot of gorgeous views. It ends up near a quite good swimming spot, so you can enjoy swimming in the clear water if the weather allows to do this. We went in December, so, unfortunately, didn't swim. Even though the way back is almost constantly uphill, it's not steep. So, overall trail is not difficult. Two very friendly local dogs accompanied us during all our way and made our hike even more fun. Highly recommend this trai.

Wow, I had no idea there is an old mining town on the other end of the Stevens Trail! It is a bit of a long drive out to the trail head on a very windy one lane road. The trailhead itself feels like it is somewhat in someone's back yard--it felt a little awkward being a first timer and being new to the east side of the trail. Very good vigorous hike though with a beautiful spot on he river at the bottom the could provide good swimming. The trail itself has eroded in some places and requires some sure footing at points so be careful.

The river was beautiful aqua color with good access to swimming holes. Accompanied by local golden retriever. Hiked under canopy of trees.

Great hiking trail. It was beautiful the entire way, great swimming hole on the bottom... Penny the trail guide-dog kept us company most of the way. I would definitely recommend.

Pretty hard to find. The actual trail head is actually behind the Market in Iowa Hills. The first 23,00 feet are unkept by the BLM, which makes it difficult to hike on. ALOT of Poison Oak, even on the parts that are "kept up". A lot of overgrowth, there are a couple of good views, and you do walk over a little natural creek/waterfall. Bring bug repellent, I made the mistake of forgetting mine and unfortunately got eaten alive by mosquitos. ☹️ Overall, decent hike, a good workout on the way back up, but would not go again due to the amount of Posion Oak and overgrowth.

loved it! the trail runs above the river and the river is going so fast and looks absolutely gorgeous!

This was a beautiful hike, but start early as much of the trail is exposed to the sun. I wouldn't recommend this trail in the dead of summer. You can get all the way down to the river and take a dip, which is exactly what we did. Great views all the way!

It was great in the sense that it was lightly traveled, lots of shade, and a TERRIFIC workout coming back up to the top. I can say 'terrific' now that Ive finished it.

This is actually stevens trail South...did it this weekend..few trees over the trail...had to do 3 waterfall crossings(raging) trail is in pretty good shape in most spots....we got soaked..and it snowed mid way through the hike...waterfall crossings were very intense this time of year..last part of the trail is sketchy..if your in shape and like a challenge...it's AWESOME..if you want an easy hike probably not the best for that...the locals are super nice...the trail dog story is real they went with us...we loved it...but we're fairly avid hikers...that like a challenge..probably alot easier in the summer...for sure a moderate trail. highly recommend...trail needs work in a few spots..be prepared to climb over some stuff..being trekking poles.

it's a good hike, but when I went 3/12/2017 the trail was in need of some upkeep. lots of limbs over the path and overgrown plants. in some places the trail looked like it was about to wash away in the next storm. Came with my dog and we left with about 8 ticks...that I've found so far anyway. However, there were some very pretty waterfalls and vistas. the river was also on point, beautiful azure​ and high flow. was nice to dip my feet in before heading back to the trailhead. I'm not a quick hiker and I did this trail in about 3 hours and I did not see a single soul in or out, and this was a Sunday.

Sunday, January 29, 2017

Beautiful views! Loved the wonderful waterfalls

Sunday, January 29, 2017

The trail is located behind the Iowa bar and grill! We passed it a few times due to no gps service and arrived to late to hike the full trail but locals are super friendly and helpful and the trail was beautiful! Keep in mind it's pretty steep going down and a little snow along the way also it gets pretty dense along the way :D

Tuesday, December 20, 2016

Wow! I've done the other side of Steven's Trail close to 15 times, but never this side. Such a blast, crazy beautiful, lots of waterfalls, dog friendly. I was the only one on the trail. The road getting there is pretty sketchy so watch out and drive slow. Penny the trail dog will follow you the whole time :)

Thursday, September 29, 2016

WARNING!! Do not attempt this trail if it's 100 degrees out and you don't have water and snacks. It's a great hike, absolutely beautiful scenery but if you're not prepared you'll regret your choice. Oh and watch out for rattlesnakes!

Monday, September 12, 2016

Amazing hike with a swimming hole reward at the base. At the top of the hike there is a tiny little town called Iowa Hill with an old store. Super dog friendly!