Stevens Trail East

Stevens Trail East is a 6.4 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Colfax, California that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

The trailhead is to the right/behind the Iowa Hill Store.

Pretty hard to find. The actual trail head is actually behind the Market in Iowa Hills. The first 23,00 feet are unkept by the BLM, which makes it difficult to hike on. ALOT of Poison Oak, even on the parts that are "kept up". A lot of overgrowth, there are a couple of good views, and you do walk over a little natural creek/waterfall. Bring bug repellent, I made the mistake of forgetting mine and unfortunately got eaten alive by mosquitos. ☹️ Overall, decent hike, a good workout on the way back up, but would not go again due to the amount of Posion Oak and overgrowth.

loved it! the trail runs above the river and the river is going so fast and looks absolutely gorgeous!

This was a beautiful hike, but start early as much of the trail is exposed to the sun. I wouldn't recommend this trail in the dead of summer. You can get all the way down to the river and take a dip, which is exactly what we did. Great views all the way!

It was great in the sense that it was lightly traveled, lots of shade, and a TERRIFIC workout coming back up to the top. I can say 'terrific' now that Ive finished it.

This is actually stevens trail South...did it this weekend..few trees over the trail...had to do 3 waterfall crossings(raging) trail is in pretty good shape in most spots....we got soaked..and it snowed mid way through the hike...waterfall crossings were very intense this time of year..last part of the trail is sketchy..if your in shape and like a challenge...it's AWESOME..if you want an easy hike probably not the best for that...the locals are super nice...the trail dog story is real they went with us...we loved it...but we're fairly avid hikers...that like a challenge..probably alot easier in the summer...for sure a moderate trail. highly recommend...trail needs work in a few spots..be prepared to climb over some stuff..being trekking poles.

it's a good hike, but when I went 3/12/2017 the trail was in need of some upkeep. lots of limbs over the path and overgrown plants. in some places the trail looked like it was about to wash away in the next storm. Came with my dog and we left with about 8 ticks...that I've found so far anyway. However, there were some very pretty waterfalls and vistas. the river was also on point, beautiful azure​ and high flow. was nice to dip my feet in before heading back to the trailhead. I'm not a quick hiker and I did this trail in about 3 hours and I did not see a single soul in or out, and this was a Sunday.

Beautiful views! Loved the wonderful waterfalls

The trail is located behind the Iowa bar and grill! We passed it a few times due to no gps service and arrived to late to hike the full trail but locals are super friendly and helpful and the trail was beautiful! Keep in mind it's pretty steep going down and a little snow along the way also it gets pretty dense along the way :D

Wow! I've done the other side of Steven's Trail close to 15 times, but never this side. Such a blast, crazy beautiful, lots of waterfalls, dog friendly. I was the only one on the trail. The road getting there is pretty sketchy so watch out and drive slow. Penny the trail dog will follow you the whole time :)