Stevens Trail

Stevens Trail is a 9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Colfax, California that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

cave

Stevens Trail is very scenic, rich in history and is on the National Register of Historic places. Built by Truman Allen Stevens it was used as a toll road for miners that needed to get from the mining town of Iowa Hill to the railroad town of Colfax. The trail was forgotten but then rediscovered in 1969 but a boy scout, Eric Kiel, and re-charted as part of his scouting project. Today it is maintained by the Bureau of Land Management.

So this trail is incredible! No more ladybugs though. Once you get to the boulders by the river, the trail continues but it’s hard to find. I wouldn’t recommend going further because like someone stated earlier there is a camp setup on the trail. The person even put their tarp on the trail to almost block it. This was a permanent setup not a few day thing. It was super sketchy and I felt very unsafe around the camp. In fact I ran back past on my way back. I have reported it to the BLM for their awareness.

Great trail!

Amazing. Plenty of parking on side of road. Some parts of the trail are not the safest for little kids or dogs.

Great hike, awesome views, can’t wait to come back again.

Amazing! Had a little bit of everything. Water falls, covered shaded areas as well as open terrain, drops all the way down to the river bank with great lunch spots. Will definitely do this one again come summer time.

great views of the river 2 10 18 lady bugs still at the bottom but there are alot less than a 3 weeks ago

Great trail with amazing views. Be prepared to get your cardio on for the way back though. Definately worth every step. I can't wait to do it again.

Beautiful hike last Sunday, but left my Black Diamond turquoise hiking poles behind at the trailhead sign. Anyone find them?

amazing trail that is shaded with trees. great for photos as well

Stunning! However, if you have a fear of heights (like me) you can take the bike route to bypass the robbers ravine (tricky) and walking along a straight up cliff. Or face your fears like me and go the hikers route for trilling and terrifying views and take the bike route back because the hike back is HARDer.

Beautiful well marked trail and excellent climbing workout!!!!

It's challenging but literally has everything one could want in a hike. If doing in Summer start early as there's not much shade.

One of the nicest hikes in the area!

Nice multi-terrain hike! Definitely would rate it as Moderate rather than Hard, but definitely provided a challenge. Gorgeous views early on, plus a patch of HUNDREDS of ladybugs towards the end (in January at least). Walking by the water is really fun. Plenty of great photo opportunities. Appropriate for an active family, or a small group of friends.

Highly recommend. The weather was great and I think Hard is fare

Great trail. My first time hiking here. The weather was perfect today. I’ll definitely go back again!! I would rate this trail as moderate definitely not hard.

This was a fun trail! I would say, at most 'Moderate', not hard.
My friend and I titled it the trail of "Unshaved Legs", because the mossy trees reminded us of such.
There is a bathroom at the trailhead. Most of the trail is on the edge of the mountain, cliff, hill? So if you need to pee during the trail, there isn't much room to step away.
There is a small waterfall you have to cross to continue, pretty cool, but scared me. There is a cave, so bring a headlamp! At the end of the trail, you cross a small creek and this time of year, there were 1000s and 1000s of ladybugs! They blend in really well with the foliage. If a nice man hadn't pointed them out to us, we wouldn't have noticed them!
The last quarter mile, we lost the trail. I think you just follow the river up stream, but my knee was giving out, so I called it quits.
There are lots of places to fill up on water if you prefer to bring a pump.
Really enjoyed being above the fog line.

One of my fav local trails. Great hike with gorgeous views the entire way. I decided to run it today and that was insane but a great workout in nature!

About 0.2 miles from the end of the trail there was a tarp hung up over the trail and a tent. From the looks of it, it looked like someone was living there. That’s when I decided to turn around!

Nice hike with a mild gradient. The middle section is pretty exposed so in summer it could get hot, but it was great in January. A few waterfalls on the way down. There are a couple narrow sections with drop-offs but nothing too difficult. The trail leads on past the banks if you follow the GPS track and scramble back up the hill about 10-15feet, but the trail is partially washed out, I'd recommend going as far as you'd like along the rocks then turning around