Stevens Trail

Stevens Trail is a 7.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Colfax, California that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Stevens Trail is very scenic, rich in history and is on the National Register of Historic places. Built by Truman Allen Stevens it was used as a toll road for miners that needed to get from the mining town of Iowa Hill to the railroad town of Colfax. The trail was forgotten but then rediscovered in 1969 but a boy scout, Eric Kiel, and re-charted as part of his scouting project. Today it is maintained by the Bureau of Land Management.

Beautiful hike.. the trail is great. Definately make sure to take plenty of water with you. Going in is pretty easy, but the hike back out is a little more challenging for someone just getting back into hiking. The views are absolutely amazing. I will definitely be doing this trail more often. The river at the point you come to is so clear and refreshing.

Fun technical trail, and the views are great! Mostly single track

Its summer bring a minimum of 3 liters of water
I saw a couple that only had a small water bottle after 4mi. Stay safe prepare before any hike.

One of my absolute favorites we've done in the area. Will definitely go back again.

Really enjoyed it. Kicked my butt, but I made it!

Beautiful hike year round. I would say summer is the least desirable time of the year to go because a large majority of the hike is uncovered and temperatures can get into the 90's. Spring is my favorite time of year to go because of the beautiful assortment and large quantity of wildflowers. If there has been heavy rains like this last year, the waterfall can be tricky to get past, but the views are worth it! The river at the bottom is also a fantastic and rewarding place to enjoy lunch. Bring sunscreen and lots of water! One of my absolute favorite hikes in the area.

I always take the reviews with a grain of salt because experiences will differ person to person. I'm glad i did read them though and I still give this trail 5 stars because it was breathtakingly gorgeous. However, i would rate this harder than moderate only because of the elevation when heading back, narrowness of the trail itself, topped with sometimes having to climb over mother nature itself to get to the other side of the trail (youll see what I mean if you go!) :) That could be just me though! **Make sure you buy TecNu for when you shower that evening at home and you'll be good to go. There's no way around it...youll be covered in poison oak no doubt, but having TecNu to use later in the day will put your mind at ease. Bring plenty of water, bug spray if you wish, and sunscreen for good measure. I went late June and, if you go early enough, it's well shaded most of the time. P.s. drive up is scariest!

It's a nice trail with a lot of scenic views. It ends up near the river where you can have an awesome swim. The trail has several steep parts, but overall it's quite easy. Also, we noticed poison oak, so it's better to wear pants.