Stevens Trail

Stevens Trail is a 7.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Colfax, California that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Stevens Trail is very scenic, rich in history and is on the National Register of Historic places. Built by Truman Allen Stevens it was used as a toll road for miners that needed to get from the mining town of Iowa Hill to the railroad town of Colfax. The trail was forgotten but then rediscovered in 1969 but a boy scout, Eric Kiel, and re-charted as part of his scouting project. Today it is maintained by the Bureau of Land Management.

GORGEOUS trail, fairly simple on the way to the river, besides crossing the waterfall that part had my heart beating pretty fast. Cooling off at the river was my favorite part. Trekking back was pretty intense, lots of uphill, lots of sweating, should've worn a hat or sunblock. Took me about 4 hrs hiking time, add 25min cool off at the river, took a generous amount of breaking for photos. Highly recommend this trail, just beautiful!

Love this trail. It rocks! literally. Some views reminds me of Japanese zen garden. Mosses on the trees and rocks. The wildflowers were just coming out and they will be abundant next few weeks.

Great hike. A bit challenging for some at certain points. Amazing views hiking right along the edge. You cross a couple creeks but you don't get wet. A very nice waterfall I wasn't expecting as well. The best part was relaxing next to the raging water. Very high and fast with all the rain and snow so he cautious.

Challenging hike with beautiful scenery! Easy to get lost though so be aware of your surroundings or have a map handy. I definitely plan on doing this hike again!

Easy to get to, right off the freeway with free parking and bathrooms right at the trailhead.
Amazing views and scenery the entire time.

Nice long leisure hike. Our group went during the weekdays so there were little to none human traffic there. The hike does get narrow at some points and you are literally walking next to the edge of the cliff. Be careful and mindful. Although it has the most beautiful views one can ask for. The ladybugs were a sight for sore eyes this time of year. The hike back was a doozey for some due to the incline. Have fun and be safe. IMO, this trail will destroy you if you are not active outside of hiking.

Been coming here for 10+ years so I cannot keep track of the number of times I've been to Stevens. It never gets old. It's wonderful for dogs and trail running too! If you let your dog off leash, be sure to check it for ticks. I've never got poison oak. I wash my clothes and dogs when I get home. But the ticks are repulsive. Found one on me and 1 on each dog yesterday. Luckily none were latched... the views are ridiculous and the river is raging right now so that makes up for the occasional parasite :\ Soon the canyon will be filled with an array of gorgeous wild flowers. In the summer it gets hella hot so go early and bring water. I've heard about people getting sick because of the heat and the trek uphill back to the trailhead.. this trail sure has become more popular throughout the years. Must be due to apps like these :|

Great little jaunt! Wildflowers are in bloom now and there are panoramic views peppered throughout the entire hike. Also lots of pretty little sections of trees overhanging the trail with sunlight dappling through. Lots of poison oak beginning to leaf right now. Doesn't infringe upon the trail but is just alongside, so be aware. Took a dip - totally refreshing but also mind-numbingly cold, so stay close to shore and obviously avoid the current. Nice climb back out of the canyon - great bit of cardio!

I hiked this by myself yesterday. It's true that coming back up is pretty steep, but the trail is wide enough in that area so taking a break isn't an issue. I took the hikers path across the waterfall on the way out, and crossing that spot was pretty dodgy. I had to ask a fellow hiker where the trail actually went because it wasn't clear. On the way back, I took the bikers trail across the waterfall and that was the steepest/only difficult part for me. The views were great and the water was so blue!

Great hike. Very easy down....but be careful on the way back because it can be much harder up.

This was a beautiful hike. Pretty easy hike in but definitely a lung burner on the way back for moderately fit person. We crossed at least 4 creeks/waterfalls. One was a little dangerous but I felt fine crossing. We took an alternate route back since we didn't want to get our feet soaked again. Sometimes the trail is an old logging road, sometimes a hard packed dirt trail and sometimes a bit rocky.

Great trail. I did this last weekend. It is well marked and has a good size parking lot. There are some really good look outs over the river. Around the 1.5-2 mile mark there is a split in the trail. If you go straight there is a fairly difficult stream crossing. Its short but if you slip its a good 20 foot fall. With all the rain we have had it was really flowing. I would suggest taking the lower path to the right. They both meet back up in about 0.25. In the last mile there are some small cut off that let you walk down to the water. Over all great trail

Great trail! Beautiful scenery, winding along the American River. Well worth it :-)

This hike was AWESOME! Definitely not for someone who isn't in shape the hike back up is deceptively hard. Also the water is very high right now and crossing the waterfall is not safe for elderly/children! Lots of butterflies and blue sky!

Beautiful! The waterfalls were to dangerous to cross to complete the trail.

Moderate difficulty. Varied terrain which was nice. A few small water crossings. Easy to find the trailhead. Gorgeous views

Narrow trail at some spots but a GREAT workout as well as amazing views and water passages