Stevens Trail

Stevens Trail is a 9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Colfax, California that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Stevens Trail is very scenic, rich in history and is on the National Register of Historic places. Built by Truman Allen Stevens it was used as a toll road for miners that needed to get from the mining town of Iowa Hill to the railroad town of Colfax. The trail was forgotten but then rediscovered in 1969 but a boy scout, Eric Kiel, and re-charted as part of his scouting project. Today it is maintained by the Bureau of Land Management.

The first time I went was in April earlier this year and the wild flowers are so beautiful! I just went back yesterday and it was a different kind of beauty. The first 1.5 miles is dense with trees covered in moss, and it is especially beautiful when the sunlight is streaming through.

Just a reminder: at the second fork, there will be an option to go up the steep hill on your right or continue straight. Do not take the right! It winds you all the way down to private property.

I was surprised that there weren’t
many people, so the trail was really quiet and seemed like we had it to ourselves. Unfortunately, we did not have time to do the 9 miles out to the boulders and back due to time constraints. At mile three, we went down the narrow path to the water, hung out with the dogs, then went back up the hill to the car. We completed it in 2 hours as we ran some of the flat and downhill parts even along the edge of the mountain. Yikes!

Waterfalls, streams, mountains, a cave, and a river. if you don't like this hike, you don't like hiking. It's pretty easy down for the first half. But it gets tougher going all the way back. mostly up hill! Don't go all the way down if you're in bad shape. You will suffer coming back up. The waterfall and cave are about half way down. Try those if your wanna test it out first. 4 hours round trip.

We are so lucky to have this one right in our back yard since there are not too many trails to choose from in Colfax. We have hiked it in the summer as well but this is truly the ideal time of year to be here. Though it tends to be very muddy and mushy, it's pleasantly cool and the waters are flowing. Since this trail tends to be exposed to sun, it's nice to have the warmth during this chilly time. There are so many beautiful sites and views the whole way. Those who are afraid of heights, do not take the trail. Trail has a few hairy steep drop offs, so I wouldn't consider it safe for young children under 6. The first 1.5 miles of the trail will leaving you breathing hard and legs fatigued if your out of shape. The rest is pretty gradual. My 8 year old did really good. There's an interesting old miners tunnel you can walk into a very short distance. The first part goes through mossy muddy forest than comes out and follows the panoramic mountain edge with constant views of American River far below, gradually dropping in elevation till you get to the lovely river. Bundle up in the shade down and strip on the way up the hill.

Did this hike on Black Friday. Got there really early and was the second car in the parking lot. The last time I did this hike the waterfall crossing I felt was too dangerous so I didn't cross, but now this time of year it was small like a creek. Not dangerous. Took about 3.5 hours in/out. Stopped by the river for a rest. Coming back there were a lot of people. So I am glad I came early.

This trail was beautiful and a good workout. Took my dog and the amount of ticks was unreal!

My dog and I have done this trail several times and it’s our local favorite. I love the varying views going from the forest out onto the winding trail along the canyon with the river below. My pups favorite part is swimming and playing in the river when we get to the turn around spot. On week days, it’s lightly trafficked enough that I can let him off leash for periods of time. Bonus: You get a good butt, calf and lung burner heading back to the parking lot with the uphills. :)

great hike, signage could be improved but other than that it was a beautiful few hours

Awesome hike! Authentic trail! Easy on the way down but definitely challenging on the way up. Signage is horrible and super easy to get lost! There’s a very scary but short cliff side to climb that almost had us turned around. Fortunately there were enough advanced hikers in the group to encourage us through. Fun hike tho! I’ll return

This was my very first hike very beautiful scenery I really wanted to see the waterfall but it was dried up we didn't make it down to the water because it seemed like the trail that my friends took at one time was not visible and we didn't want to take a risk and get lost the hike down was pretty easy but going back up very challenging I had a good workout I had a good time I would definitely come back here again

Be careful not to get lost, there are too many trail routes to choose from. I liked the scenery and even thought there are a lot of steep narrow areas, I tried not to look down and went all the way to the river which was pretty and relaxing, but on the way up it was way harder and we ended up getting lost ( a homeless older guy scared my friend and she was walking way too fast) we should have stayed on our left trail up above, a straight path but took the right and had to climb big rocks and ended up on by the train track and a residential area, had to get a ride from a car going by because we were so tired and could not go back for another mile, We were all the way off. I think they should put more signs up or yellow bright tape to indicate where to go, because when we got lost I was really pooped out.