Stelzer Park Loop Trail

Stelzer Park Loop Trail is a 2.6 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Lakeside, California that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and camping and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 2.6 miles Elevation Gain: 620 feet Route Type: Loop

Stelzer Park includes 310 acres of oak woodland and coastal sage scrub. Birdwatching, hiking and picnicking are all available here, as are playgrounds, a horseshoe pit and barbeques

Beautiful views, no shade, and STEEP!!!!!!

Great short workout beautiful area

Nice short hike. There’s a $3 parking fee

with Pierce on the 27th of April 2019. Better trail than we thought. Beautiful park and good hike too. It was overgrown in some places but doable. Steep hike up to Stelzer summit. We went up but didn’t go to the very top because it was too overgrown and we weren’t prepared today. Overall nice short hike!

This is a really nice park. The loop trail is challenging enough, but not too much for beginners. However, the summit trail which can be accessed from the highest point of the loop is significantly more challenging. You need the right shoes which we didn't have. and you should probably have poles, which we didn't have. it was a slow, steep descent over loose gravel.

we were by ourselves early in the am on this. The climb to the top was short and steep, just the way i like it. Youll need good grip shoes for the way down.

Always a good day here. They have a enclosure with some reptiles that kids love.

Always a great moment here. The rangers are very helpful. They have some reptiles in a enclosure that kids love and learn from too.

Worthy walking uphill to Stelzer Peak 650 miles. Awesome hiking. Great workout

Being a Special Education Tecnition I appreciate going to this park with students with disabilities. There is an area on which people with disabilities can workout. It's a well maintained park with trails that are accessible to wheelchair and some not so accessible.

One of my favorite trails in SD! Relatively easy hike. Some shade and somewhat steep in certain parts of the trail. My 8 year old was able to complete the hike. Bring water.

Somewhat easy

Come prepared to hike a very steep mountain toward the summit appropriate Hiking shoes required. View worth the hike.

Great hike! Beautiful trails trees and vines are awesome. Multiple trails lots of fun. If your gonna go for the Stelzer trail make sure you have proper shoes because it is super steep! So fun and the awesome rocks and summit view are worth hiking your butt up that Mtn. Have fun!

Saturday, September 08, 2018

This is a beautifully maintained park with a small visitor center. There is a $3 parking fee, and although posted hours begin at 9:30am, we pulled into the lot before 8am and self-paid. The lower elevation loop is a nice, easy walk through various mini ecosystems. Traffic noise is a bit of a distraction. The summit trail is very steep for the last 0.25 miles. Wear good shoes and consider hiking poles. Great views from the top, and you leave the noise of cars behind. On our early Saturday morning visit, we ran into exactly 2 other hikers, who were very friendly. Trails are very clean. We saw evidence of coyotes and raccoons, and saw a rabbit, several song birds, and 2 different species of lizard.

Saturday, June 30, 2018

The trail itself isn't anything spectacular but does include a nice kick ass incline at the end! What is special about this trail is the park itself. It is beautifully maintained and perfect for picnics with the kids! Take a nice quick hike then let the kids play in the nicely shaded playground! Be sure to check out the ranger station as they have tons of cool animals and exhibits!

Wednesday, May 23, 2018

This is one of my new nearby favorites. It isn't too long but if you go all the way to the top you're sure to feel the burn. The camping area where you start looks like a great place to picnic as well, I'd like to make a day trip out of it some time. There are great lookout points, and a cool forest area; plenty to see. I've gone twice now and it hasn't been too crowded either time, you can hear the traffic from the road though that is my only complaint, and parking is $3.

Saturday, March 10, 2018

nice hike. a little rain today.

Monday, February 26, 2018

nice hike

Thursday, November 23, 2017

Did the trail with my 8 year old son. Hard for me on the way up since im a fatboy but easy for my son. Opposite coming back down. His lil legs got tired. Saw a 3-4 foot rattle snake sunning itself on the trail. Glad I was in front because my son didn't notice it. Good lesson for him to learn to pay attention.

Wednesday, August 02, 2017

Hiked to the top of the steep peak here and it was great! The rangers here are incredibly nice and offered me and my friends water since they didn't see our camelbaks. Love it and would do it over and over if I could handle the steep hill everyday.

Wednesday, May 17, 2017

This has some beautiful views and flowers! The only downside is the freeway...it's close enough to hear while going along the trail.

Sunday, March 19, 2017

Gained some altitude to get above the morning fog (marine layer).

Friday, March 10, 2017

I had a lot of fun, it was all uphill until coming back down so lots of cardio for us since we were jogging. It got really steep so be careful I fell twice lol. The view from the top of the mountain is beautiful!

Monday, January 16, 2017

Not very long trail, but very fun. Last part of the summit is steep, but more than worth the view from the top. Great panoramic with a cool cove between some boulders at the top. The park is is very clean and lots of things to do at the base and benches along the way. It's all clearly marked. REMEMBER to bring $3 for day use /parking fee.

Monday, August 01, 2016

Easy walk with some shade by the creek otherwise your in the open.