Stelzer Park Loop Trail

Stelzer Park Loop Trail is a 2.6 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Lakeside, California that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and camping and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Stelzer Park includes 310 acres of oak woodland and coastal sage scrub. Birdwatching, hiking and picnicking are all available here, as are playgrounds, a horseshoe pit and barbeques

Come prepared to hike a very steep mountain toward the summit appropriate Hiking shoes required. View worth the hike.

Great hike! Beautiful trails trees and vines are awesome. Multiple trails lots of fun. If your gonna go for the Stelzer trail make sure you have proper shoes because it is super steep! So fun and the awesome rocks and summit view are worth hiking your butt up that Mtn. Have fun!

This is a beautifully maintained park with a small visitor center. There is a $3 parking fee, and although posted hours begin at 9:30am, we pulled into the lot before 8am and self-paid.

The lower elevation loop is a nice, easy walk through various mini ecosystems. Traffic noise is a bit of a distraction. The summit trail is very steep for the last 0.25 miles. Wear good shoes and consider hiking poles. Great views from the top, and you leave the noise of cars behind.

On our early Saturday morning visit, we ran into exactly 2 other hikers, who were very friendly.

Trails are very clean. We saw evidence of coyotes and raccoons, and saw a rabbit, several song birds, and 2 different species of lizard.

The trail itself isn't anything spectacular but does include a nice kick ass incline at the end! What is special about this trail is the park itself. It is beautifully maintained and perfect for picnics with the kids! Take a nice quick hike then let the kids play in the nicely shaded playground! Be sure to check out the ranger station as they have tons of cool animals and exhibits!

This is one of my new nearby favorites. It isn't too long but if you go all the way to the top you're sure to feel the burn. The camping area where you start looks like a great place to picnic as well, I'd like to make a day trip out of it some time. There are great lookout points, and a cool forest area; plenty to see. I've gone twice now and it hasn't been too crowded either time, you can hear the traffic from the road though that is my only complaint, and parking is $3.

nice hike. a little rain today.

nice hike

Did the trail with my 8 year old son. Hard for me on the way up since im a fatboy but easy for my son. Opposite coming back down. His lil legs got tired. Saw a 3-4 foot rattle snake sunning itself on the trail. Glad I was in front because my son didn't notice it. Good lesson for him to learn to pay attention.

Wednesday, August 02, 2017

Hiked to the top of the steep peak here and it was great! The rangers here are incredibly nice and offered me and my friends water since they didn't see our camelbaks. Love it and would do it over and over if I could handle the steep hill everyday.

Wednesday, May 17, 2017

This has some beautiful views and flowers! The only downside is the freeway...it's close enough to hear while going along the trail.

Sunday, March 19, 2017

Gained some altitude to get above the morning fog (marine layer).

Friday, March 10, 2017

I had a lot of fun, it was all uphill until coming back down so lots of cardio for us since we were jogging. It got really steep so be careful I fell twice lol. The view from the top of the mountain is beautiful!

Monday, January 16, 2017

Not very long trail, but very fun. Last part of the summit is steep, but more than worth the view from the top. Great panoramic with a cool cove between some boulders at the top. The park is is very clean and lots of things to do at the base and benches along the way. It's all clearly marked. REMEMBER to bring $3 for day use /parking fee.

Monday, August 01, 2016

Easy walk with some shade by the creek otherwise your in the open.

Sunday, July 10, 2016

You don't want to go alone to hike. But, the trails were great, the view is spectacular. The park itself it so cute. There are two jungle gyms. Bathrooms with running water. Shade, lots of trees.... Until you go hiking. Then bring lots of water. I will certainly go back. PS, it was 93 degrees, so not the best on a hot day, but we survived and bought water there.

Sunday, May 22, 2016

Short, beautiful and still gets a good work out in with the steep hill at the end.

Friday, March 11, 2016

I've hiked this trail 2 or 3 times. It's a very pleasant hike,but it's to short. that's my only complaint. it's a great place for picnics and has a playground for kids. I do recommend and it's very pleasant. my 3 stars are because it's short.I suggest you read Afoot and Afield is a book about trails in San Diego.

Saturday, February 20, 2016

Beautiful trail! Took my kids and dogs and really enjoyed the morning

Monday, June 15, 2015

Amazing views

Sunday, March 09, 2014

nice trail really like the observation deck on the top midway through the hike beautiful View.

Thursday, November 14, 2013

This trail is open year 'round. It's near where I live so I hike it often. They adjust the hours of the park based upon the daylight. After parking there's a nice easy entrance hiking South along the river. We've seen deer along the trail on several occasions. The trail then takes an uphill turn that leads eventually to a saddle from which you can go South to the Promontory, or North to the Stelzer Peak. The road/trail to the North is fairly steep, and the footing is less than stable, though certainly doable. Coming down is actually a little harder than going up. The hike to the South from the saddle is a little easier and provides nice views of the Lakeside and El Cajon municipalities. It's a little bit of a bummer that SDG&E have run multiple towers across the park. On the way back to the parking you can either follow the trail back the way you came, or head straight(er) back to the park. In the park there are extensive climbing hardware and other playground toys for kids, complete with a chipped wood base for soft(er) landings. In truth, except for the hiking this park is made for kids.

Sunday, July 07, 2013

Nice quite hike outside the city. Playground at park and very shaded for hot days before heading up the trail.

Friday, July 01, 2011

I first learned about Seltzer Park while working in Patty Read's class at Lindbergh-Schweitzer as an Special Ed Tech. It was GREAT being paid to enjoy this park. It has nice trails, and exercise equipment designed for people with who use wheel chairs. I've visited the park several times, most recently with my girlfriend and her daughter. We had a nice picnic then took a hike.
I forgot to bring my camera, but will return, camera in hand and post pics! I'd recommend this park for people with kids or disabilities.

Thursday, June 10, 2010

When I showed up there was a small group of kids on a field trip. I took the trail that is right next to the ranger house. The loop that I took was only about 1.25 miles. I did it twice to get a good jog. I like the trail a lot its just tough to run up the hill about .75 mi into the run.

recorded Stelzer Park