Stanford Point Trail

Stanford Point Trail is a 8.3 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Mariposa, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from February until November.

Spectacular hike. We went July 17, and the views were stunning. It was definitely hot, make sure you bring lots of water. The view at Stanford is worth the small trek down in elevation (which you end up taking that gain on after a fairly grueling hike to the top). We were all absolutely blown away by the views. The Mariposa fire was burning strong when we went, and made the skies somewhat hazy and the air much tougher to breathe in (I'm a Colorado native, so the elevation wasn't an issue).

This trail is beautiful but super inaccessible in the winter. I would not recommend trying to hike past inspiration point past October. It ended up feeling like I was following bear tracks with snow up to my knees. Lol. Nonetheless, it offers amazing views of the valley.

Sunday, July 03, 2016

Saturday, June 11, 2016

Awesome

Monday, August 31, 2015

We started at the tunnel trail head - difficult going at first - recommend starting early and going all the way to Glacier point and riding the shuttle back - we made the mistake of turning around at Stanford Point and the switchbacks at the end of the hike made me grateful for the last two advil in my pack.

Saturday, April 11, 2015

Hiking to Stanford Point is excellent if you want to see Yosemite Valley from a different angle and to escape from people. The hike itself is mostly under tree cover but when you reach the canyon ledge you are slapped in the face with stunning views of El Capitan, Bridalveil Falls, El Cap meadow, Cathedral Rocks, and other features. A friend and I parked at the trail head for McGurk Meadow and backpacked 3.9 to Dewey Point and set-up camp. The hike to Dewey Point is easy if you're a seasoned hiker, not too much elevation gain and it's easy to do with a pack. From Dewey Point it is only 0.5 miles to Crocker Point, and about 1 mile to Stanford Point. The 2 days we were out there we only saw 1 lone backpacker! The trail is listed as difficult, I'd change that to moderate. It is also a great trail for snowshoeing or cross-country skiing in the winter.

Tuesday, September 16, 2014

This is a wonderful trail, not too difficult, and it provides access to some overlooks with spectacular views of El Capitan, Half Dome, Bridal Veil Falls, and the Yosemite Valley. It is really worth the hike if you are looking for an overview of the park. Much of the trail is in the trees but there are many overlooks.

Wednesday, December 18, 2013