Stanford Dish Loop Trail

Stanford Dish Loop Trail is a 3.8 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Stanford, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 3.8 miles Elevation Gain: 534 feet Route Type: Loop

wheelchair friendly

stroller friendly

paved

The Stanford Dish loop is a popular route for Stanford University students as well as Silicon Valley professionals. The area is named after the large radio telescope that can not be missed. Its steep paved trail is suitable for running, walking, and hiking. Bicycles are not allowed. Opening hours vary depending on the month of the year: January 6:30 AM-5:30 PM February 6:30 AM-6 PM March 6 AM-6:30 PM April 6 AM-8 PM May 6 AM-8 PM June 6 AM-8 PM July 6 AM-8 PM August 6 AM-8 PM September 6:30 AM-7:30 PM October 6:30 AM-6:30 PM November 6:30 AM-5:30 PM December 6:30 AM-5:30 PM

Mind blowing scenic beauty.

decent trail with decent view of West Bay. Good for someone to start.

I’ve heard a lot about the dish among fellow runners and friends. I think for me it was overhyped a lot. I’m a distance runner and enjoy 8-10 mile runs on weekends. It has some hills to challenge you and it well-maintained, but I definitely wouldn’t go out of my way as many people do for what was essentially a 3.7 mile run (I parked at the school about .30 miles away so I got to add .60 miles to my run to make it 4.3). You can do a 3.7 mile run in the neighborhood in a half hour anytime. For beginning runners who need that challenge of being out somewhere with a nice view, this can definitely be good and challenging. For long distance runners, try the Los Gatos creek trail or Saint Joseph’s Hill.

fee

Perfect sunday afternoon family amble.

I love running the Dish. I grew up disliking it, but now I really like challenging myself on it.

Just wrapped up for my first time. 5pm, Thursday evening. I almost didn’t hike this one because I’m usually turned off by paved trails but I’m glad that I did! Lots of beautiful scenery from the Rollinghills to deer and wildlife, the dish is pretty awesome up close and personal too! Heavily trafficked but plenty of space for everyone. Only downside to this trail is that it’s mostly pavement, not a lot of off trail dirt. There is some but many of the signs ask you to stay on the pavement on this trail it is well marked and a great loop for all levels they can handle an incline. Overall I’d say it’s a B++ trail, great way to end your day and catch a sunset over the Bay Area. Awesome birds eye views of Stanford all way to the East Bay!

Nice urban walk, but crowded and not much of an escape.

This app is awesome.

The recording time actually includes about a 10 minute break in between the two laps of the Dish. Lap 1 time was: 30:33, and lap 2 was 33:56.

Paved path the whole way, lots of people.

Beautiful views over the Bay Area

recorded Stanford Dish Loop Trail

Pleasant, flat pavement w friend from Sunnyvale

Easy access but very crowded, tough parking, totally exposed, asphalt path. Some nice views (of satellite dishes, Stanford, Bay) but not amazing. Great if you are looking for something close, but would suggest something else for a real hike experience.

Good trail for exercise if you don’t have a lot of time. There is almost no shade. So prepare some sunscreen or have a hat.

Decent trail with views of Palo Alto

No shade. Parking is tough on weekends. Good decent loop.

Asphalt path, no shade, views are okay but not the most scenic hike

Easy paved trail, go early as parking is hard to find.

Nice paved trail that’s great for a family not looking to go far and introduce yourselves to the world of hiking. Great views of Stanford university the surrounding hills and gorgeous at sunset.