Squirrel Gulch Trail to Eagle Crest Trail to Ridgeline Trail Loop is a 4.8 mile loop trail located near Livermore, California that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This walk leads up into the hills of Del Valle, the less visited part of the park. It offers glimpses of the long lake below and rugged hills beyond. The hills are an open grazing area so be mindful of the roaming cows. This trail is mostly in the open, so bring a hat, water and sunblock; temperatures commonly reach the 90’s in the summer. From the parking lot, head up the hill directly behind the boat inspection station and through the gate to access Squirrel Gulch Trail. Squirrel Gulch will ascend steeply for about .85 miles. At the next trail post, make a left onto Ridgeline Trail, passing through the large gap in the fence posts. When you reach the top of the hill, stay left onto Eagle Crest Trail. This leads down the hill and around a pond. At the next trail post, stay right and continue uphill on Eagle Crest, turning right onto Ridgeline Trail. Shortly, you will come to an unmarked T crossing: Ridgeline curves left, then you immediately come to a Y; take the right fork of this Y to stay onto Ridgeline Trail. In less than a half a mile you will come to the intersection with Squirrel Gulch Trail, but keep going straight on Ridgeline Trail. The trail will drop downhill into a valley. Follow the trail for roughly 1 mile and it will lead all the way back to the Equine parking lot, close to where you started. Park Hours: Dawn to dusk Fees: $6 per vehicle. $4 per trailered vehicle. $25 per bus. No parking fee at Arroyo staging area. $2 per dog. Guide/service dogs free.

nice hike but, very steep on places.

A nice wide trail all the way around. I saw raptors, baby snakes, a deer, ground squirrels, and mallards in one of the ponds.

Like others have said, this trail has it's steep parts. I found Squirrel Gulch to be the most heart pounding. The rest of the trails even out pretty much, but be wary, it does have some steep parts past Squirrel Gulch Trail. This loop gave me a good workout, and I will be back to try it again to see how my fitness gains/losses go this summer.

While most of the human activity is in the water down below, I did see a fair amount of mt bikers and other hikers. But, I had the trail mainly to myself and I enjoyed the scenery very much. The top of the hills to the west still had a little green on them.

There is some shade throughout, so you aren't walking in the sun the whole time. Thankfully I was able to stand in shade and let a nice breeze cool me down. Take plenty of water as I did not see anything potable on the trails. Since it is warming up, I highly suggest doing this very early in the morning, as it gets hot quickly.

There was no phone signal, so I was unable to do a alltrails recording.

Wow that starts off steep! But it’s a great trail. Very muddy this time of year.

Great views, but very very steep in spots. My parents had trouble.