Squaw Valley Trail is a 5.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Tahoe City, California that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October.

Distance: 5.7 miles Elevation Gain: 1,837 feet Route Type: Out & Back

skiing

Perfect hike...highly recommend. Beautiful views

This is similar to the "Squaw Valley Trail", however Squaw has this trail named and routed as the Thunder Mountain Trail. It is a decent moderate to possible hard trail with 2k feet in elevation gain spread over 3.5 miles. Nice views of the mountains and the Olympic Village. I recommend doing this as hiking up the mountain and then taking the air tram back down (the Tram charges a fee to go up but is free for hikers to go down).

Fri Oct 26 2018

I would suggest hiking to the top. As we did this and we got lost, A LOT. We ended up taking the gondola up and did a variation of this where we went to the top of one of the peaks (HIGHLY suggest!!!). but it was gorgeous, and we went in July and there was still snow out that our dog loved. So it was a fun hike, just be prepared for a very overgrown trail. Also would suggest going up and taking the gondola down. Personal opinion though.

Mon Aug 20 2018

The gondola ride was 45 pp. plan on spending the day bring you suit to jump in the hot tub. Plenty of trails and check out the PCT

Sun Jul 29 2018

Just to clarify, this is a review for the Thunder Mountain Trail, which this app calls the “Squaw Valley Trail.” The entrance for the trail is hard to find, but once you find the trail signs, those are accurate and will lead you the whole way to the top of High Camp. However, the trail was overgrown in many places which is annoying for trail running. Furthermore, the trail doesn’t take a direct route to the summit so although it may seem like it’s going to nearby Squaw Peak, it does go to High Camp. If I were just trying to go to High Camp, I’d recommend just walking the Summer Road.

Tue Aug 01 2017

Waste of time totally! Trails are difficult to fine, almost no signs - we got stopped on the trail at big flow of water impossible to over pass because no bridge .... we are experienced trekker but here we lost patience looking around ; we came back down to the car and left. Ski stations do not focus on trails but definitely more skiers . Thank god there are much other trails around lake tahoe to explore without searching

Sat Oct 08 2016

After a long four hour drive up from San Francisco, my father and I decided to do a short evening hike before Mount Rose the subsequent morning. We have skied at Squaw often, thus we decided to attempt to climb it in a different light- without any snow. Turns out there was some snow. Some, of course, simply meaning remnants from last weeks' storms placed on the shadiest spots of the slopes up to Squaw Peak. The earlier storm also rejuvenated, or at least bolstered, one of the creeks heading up (see Photos). This trail is not well trafficked. It's overgrown at times with washout on the rockier sections. Additionally, there are non-paved (wood shavings and/or fine gravel) roads that offer a safer, more established route to the summit. Thus makes it relatively difficult to navigate, though. This trail is a steady incline regardless of the route you take. It's not strenuous, but be prepared to climb ~1,700 feet in a little over three miles. I personally recommend hiking poles to help with the rockier, looser sections of this trail. Additionally, there exists cable cars (operational until 5 P.M on select days) available to take you down from the WildFlower Café. My father and I arrived at the top a little after sunset, and we were generously granted with a private ride down in a cable car. Amazing! The views are the real pearl of this hike, cable cars or not. The outlook from the WildFlower Café is unrivaled by many others in the area. Lake Tahoe is visible over a stretch of mountains. There's snow at the Wildflower Café despite it being only October. This is a great hike to test your navigating skills, endurance, and to capture great views. If you have the time (it only takes an hour, granted that you take a cable car down) I heavily recommend hiking it. Another bonus is that the creeks here are active, only if temporarily. Have fun!

Sun Aug 07 2016

The proper name of this trail is the Thunder Mountain Trail and that is how it is marked locally. The trailhead is just west of the Expedition lift. Not sure of the track shown. The trail is the shortest but steepest route to High Camp

Tue Aug 18 2015

One of the most magnificent trails I have ever been on. lots of beautiful scenery every step, with plenty of places to stop by for a refreshing dip in pounds. it is for certain a challenge but a rewarding one once finished.

skiing
Sat May 11 2013

A beautiful place with a lot of beautiful scenery. I came for a day and spent two weeks.

recorded Squaw Valley Air Tram