Squaw Valley Creek Trail

Squaw Valley Creek Trail is a 8.7 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Mccloud, California that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and fishing and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 8.7 miles Elevation Gain: 757 feet Route Type: Out & Back

BEAUTIFUL!!! Shady , waterfalls, a bridge . Awesome scenery. Saw some campers ,bird watchers , hikers , fishing, cold water, and poison oak......phone reception (Verizon) its pretty easy to get there. — -Drive to McCloud. -When you get to the first light take a RIGHT...... you’ll pass a Gas Station and a Car Wash. (You’ll see a sign that says McCloud Reservoir ) -Drive all the way down (about 10 miles) When you get towards the end, There will be a Rv Park on the right . Just pass that the road will split into about 3or 4 different roads. Theres a sign .... -Take a RIGHT towards Squaw Creek. Drive down the dirt road about 3 miles. You’ll see a little building and some signs. On the left..... your there!

Very nice, beautiful and lots of shade. A portion of the trail, after mile 3, is overgrown with lots of poison oak. We rinsed off ourselves and our 2 dogs in the cold river water a few times on the way back to wash of the poison oak oil from our skin. We didn’t see any wildlife while hiking on the trail, except for lizards. Saw a deer while driving into the area. But while driving out of the area on the gravel road, we slowed down for 2 quail (or some kind of bird,) and watched them as they tiptoed slowly across the road, which was cute. Shortly after that, a bear ran across the road in front of us and into the woods! It was an awesome sight.

July, 2019 - Lovely setting, but 3 star review due to poison oak after about mile 3. I would do it again due to the beautiful creek alongside the trail, but I'd turn around as soon as I saw poison oak next time. FYI the trailhead is called Cabin Creek and there is a pit toilet.

Hiking along a river, beautiful rainy day

Saturday, August 19, 2017

Our group of six people all in good physical health hiked this trail. The first three miles were very nice, although the trail is fairly narrow and the edge falls away in some places. The reason for the three stars is due to the next leg of the journey, it becomes quite overgrown and poison oak grows all along the sides often even taking over parts of the trail. It is still a beautiful area and it follows the river, which is cold but suitable for swimming. There are a number of swimming holes within the first few miles, but they become more scarce the further you go. The water is also very clear. Overall I would say this hike is fun and scenic if you like swimming, if not I wouldn't recommend it. In the summer it would be very hot without a dip in the river. I would also like to warn that, if you choose to hike it, approximately a quarter of a mile in on the left side of the trail we spotted a rattlesnake. It was in the middle of the trail on both the trip in and our return. We believe it may have a nest in the log nearby.

Monday, May 22, 2017

If you hike far enough theres a small "waterslide" into a deep swimming hole. Probably 4 miles in.

Monday, June 15, 2015

Beautiful trail. We took the whole family. Crystal clear water. Could see trout swimming in the water. Great trail for hot days due to the heavy foliage. Kids got to splash in the water some.

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

This nice trail is located within an easy drive of the boat launch at McCloud Reservoir. I saw a few other people on the trail, but it was a holiday and nice weather. Considering how hot it can be here, I liked that the trail had several points of creek access, and was shady in the afternoon. It crosses with the PCT. There were a few small but nice waterfalls on the creek. Near the end of my hike, I got the impression that the trail continued, but was poorly maintained at that spot, and I was ready to head out, anyway.

recorded Squaw Valley Creek Trail