Spruce Grove Campground Trail

Spruce Grove Campground Trail is a 7.3 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Sierra Madre, California that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Awwsome hike in to Spruce Grove CG. The campground has a lot of trees so it's great for hammocking. Overall the CG is clean and the outhouses were pretty clean for what they are. I still prefer just digging a cat hole over any outhouse though. There is water at camp (though the water level is low) and should be treated before drinking. Saw a few deer come through camp along with multiple squirrels as well as a small black bear (hanging your food or a bear canister is a must). Also, make sure that you bring bug spray as all of the biting menaces are out in full force.

This is such a beautiful trail despite the heavy traffic during the day and being so close to the city. Arrived 5:30 pm on a Friday afternoon with a friend to give him a taste of backpacking. Very few cars in the parking lot and only one other gentleman with cooler heading down to a cabin for the weekend. After a quick detour to Sturtevant Falls we head up the upper trail where we see our last person hiking down the mountain. Beautiful views of the canyon and a few spots where I get signal to text my family where I am. As we approach Cascade Picnic I am left without signal and daylight fades quickly through the dense foliage. We end up hiking in the dark since my friend was having a hard time walking up with his pack. Just as I start getting uneasy about hiking in the dark.. the wind brings a familiar smell.. smoke from a campfire. We get to the campground and its basically all our with one a couple up towards the end of the 6 campsites. I quickly set up camp and collect wood to for a small campfire. The sound of insects and a stream puts me to sleep. The next morning I wake up early to the rhythmic pattering of the early morning trail runners. Soon after a parade of early bird hikers, runners, and their dogs stroll on by consistently.

This is a gorgeous place to test out new backpacking gear or simply feel like you are further Way from the city than you really are. You will run into a lot of traffic on the way down the mountain depending on time you leave so prepare to make way through the narrow sections of the trail.

Never disappointed with any of the trails in this area. Parking is a nightmare get there warily, or Uber, pack station has WiFi.

Somewhat steep, mostly uphill, very narrow at times. Excellent workout and the campground is so pleasant to rest and snack!

Came to check out Spruce Grove Camp for for a future overnight trip. Great, moderate hike that is easy to navigate & has Mother Nature's beauty all around. There was good amount of water in the stream multiple waterfalls & water crossings. Camp is awesome, about 5-6 sites, fire pits, picnic tables & tools (buckets, rake, shovel) just wish people would have more respect for Mother Nature and the outdoors with the graffiti. Oh there is a fork on this trail which allows you to decide upper/lower, took the right fork in and came out the other side to check it out, they seemed to be pretty equal, just a difference in views!

This hike was beautiful it’s almost completely shaded. I went during the week of the fires so I only saw one group of bikers and 2 hikers. Very relaxing and easy .. the only hard part was that .6 hike up to the parking lot area. We had lunch at the campground which we missed because it didn’t look like a campground .. it’s a group of scattered cabins and some picnic tables. I will do this one again.

We really enjoyed this hike. Because it was really hot this one is great since it's all shaded.
We did almost 9 miles (but we walked off the path for a little while, not that smart). We saw a lot, really a lot, of squirrels and a woodpecker.
From the parking lot the first start of the trail is downwards. So since this is an out and back trail you need to do this upwards at your end of the trail. But after all, this last part was easier than we thought it would be.

We will do this one again some time.

Hike was difficult, but i am a beginning hiker. Get there before 7 am for good parking, lots of bugs so bring mosquito net and bug spray. Lots of shade, was originally trying to hike up to the observatory but turned back early.

Monday, July 31, 2017

Great trail. Lots of shade and very pretty. Last half to the camp was the hardest. We filtered all our water and streams were accessible at numerous spots. Camp ground itself has about 7 developed sites. We picked a makeshift one that was off the trail a bit more. Deer came into the camp site/ground a couple times.
Were were surprised that we didn't really hear any animals around at night. However the next day we hiked back down the mt Zion trail and while we were taking a break at hogees camp we encounter a young looking bear. Little too close for comfort and we knew it was possible but i definitely was going at a faster pace after that!
Parking as all say is challenging. We got there on a Saturday at about 1130-12 and took about 15 minutes circling the lot but we scored a spot.

Tuesday, July 25, 2017

What a beautiful place! On a Monday the parking lot filled up by 7:30. Come earlier than 7 to claim a spot! Adventure pass required.

From the parking lot I traced 8 miles in and out. There's many points of interest on this trail. Many small cascades, overlooks, and creek that follows you most of the way through. The terrain will morph back and forth and makes for a great workout. This mapping guides you to Sturtevant Falls as well. Mid summer season it is down to almost a dribble, but still pretty!

My biggest problem are the insects and with it goes one star. Bug repellent barely works. Brings a handkerchief or something else to cover your face. They try to get into all available orifices!!

Sunday, July 16, 2017

Hiked this trail in early July. Many portions are shaded and filled with lush vegetation, so it wasn't too hot. Beautiful waterfall and Creek running along much of the trail up to the Spruce Grove Campgrounds. Parking is terrible so arrive early. Adventure pass is required to park. Be sure to bring bug repellant because the mosquitos are relentless!!!

Tuesday, June 06, 2017

These trails are the prettiest in the L.A. National Forrest. However, they are also home to some of the thickest swarms of gnats, biting flies and mosquitoes I've experienced in California. DEET will NOT protect you. Long sleeves , gloves, pants and head nets if you plan on going to the summit. Spent one night at Spruce Grove campground, left peppered with dozens of very itchy bites.

Thursday, May 04, 2017

love this campground just make sure and get in early it's a popular place. oh yeah and hang a bear bag

Tuesday, April 11, 2017

Absolutely breathtaking, must see, must do, Spruce canyon hike.
These pictures do not do it justice.
I'll definitely do it again. There are other trails we can too.
Almost 7 miles and 3 1/2 hours. We could have added another 3 miles, but he had to get back. The scenery is absolutely gorgeous. There were parts that were very narrow and at one point walking sideways on a rock. The creek ran along side the whole trail, so you can listen to the water the whole way through. I was in awe of all the beauty of this trail.

Monday, April 03, 2017

Go early on a weekday before 9am to have the trail to yourself

Sunday, March 26, 2017

Beautiful water running stream the whole way.. great workout

Saturday, March 11, 2017

Amazing! This hike was breathtaking! Raging creek and waterfalls right next to the trail the entire hike! Definitely coming back for many more adventures on this trail! Where this trail is located you can literally spend all day hiking on all the numerous trails that connect together. Outhouse toilets are awful though, you are better off popping a squat somewhere seriously! Dont forget your adventure pass for parking because you will get fined if you don't have it.

Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Nice little trail. Very crowded at the beginning, but once you get past the falls, the crowds drops off drastically. A lot of running water at Spruce Grove this time of year. Very shaded. Good place to do an overnight. Camp fires are permitted and there are also stoves at select spots. Pit toilets are pretty bad. I would rather dig a cat hole than use one anyways like regular backpacking.

Monday, January 30, 2017

Nice and easy trail to the water fall

Monday, December 26, 2016

Great walk!

Monday, September 05, 2016

Previous comments about restrooms and parking are accurate! On a Labor Day weekend Saturday we had to park nearly a mile downhill from Chantry Flats. And beware, you need a parking permit anywhere on that highway. $100 fine. Otherwise a beautiful hike in a shady canyon. That half mile you walk down from Chantry is a killer on the way back out.

Sunday, February 07, 2016

Definitely a great hiking ground, but parking is extremely horrible. Sceneries are great and I love the waterfall.

Monday, November 09, 2015

Great trail! Well kept.
Yeah the toilets are pretty bad, but at least they're enclosed and had toilet paper in them.
Get there early to get a campsite.

Monday, August 17, 2015

is a nice trail, a lot of mosquitoes, just be sure , if you have a dog protected,is .rough for they pal.lot of water, no water on the river .enjoy it.

Sunday, May 17, 2015

Parking lot is horrible! If you're lucky enough to get a space, the pass is $5. The trail was highly traveled! Lots of dogs and families, too. Great views and waterfall is well worth the hike!

Thursday, May 15, 2014

Hiked this trail last weekend from Chantry Flats. Took the lower winters crest and the gabrielino trail just past spruce grove campsites. Hiked right into 2 black bears just minutes from one another after the camp ground. Hike is really pretty although it was hard visibility in the morning due to overcast. The grossest thing was the bathroom at the camp ground- a disgusting mess inside but that's obviously not a reflection on the trail itself.

Saturday, March 29, 2014

Backpacked the nine miles from Chantry Flats, over Newcomb Pass to the West Fork Trail Camp a couple of times. (Day hiked it one additional time when I was on the Forest Service trail crew out of Oak Grove Ranger Station in '69.) This was a point-to-point from Chantry Flats to Eaton Canyon via the West Fork and Mt. Wilson. From West Fork, we went up what was then called the Rattlesnake Trail (renamed the Kenyon Devore Trail after, who else, Kenyon DeVore), three steep miles to Mt. Wilson. The final leg was the 9.5 miles down the Toll Road to the Eaton Canyon Nature Center. The first trip was with Dennis Mathews in the mid '60s and again in the mid'70s with Charlie Simpson and his bride-to-be.

Tuesday, December 04, 2012

Trail well kept. Lots of spots. Beautiful hike.

Thursday, July 26, 2012

Trail to Spruce Grove Camp is very nice. I will definitely come back. We were surprise to see a deer at the camp ground.

We continue beyond Spruce Grove Camp to Mt. Zion and return to Chantry Flat via Lower Winter Creek Trail....

Friday, June 01, 2012

I love this trail. When I lived in LA I used to take my scout up here. It's a favorite with scouts.