Split Mountain via Red Lake Trail

Split Mountain via Red Lake Trail is a 20.2 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Big Pine, California that features a lake and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, off road driving, and backpacking and is best used from April until September.

off road driving

The road to the trailhead requires a high clearance vehicle. Driving a Honda Civic, the closest that I could get to trailhead was a good 4.3 miles away! (End of asphalt in Fuller road). I could never figure out the start of the trail and hence just climbed the hill till I saw something that resembled a trail. I again lost the trail after the small pond. Nonetheless it made the hike that much more interesting. Did it on Oct 14th as a day hike.
There are too many use trails after Red lake to get to Split mountain. On the way back you will see the good ones :-)
Just remember to come back to the correct ridge. There are use trails from the top which take you further down to the lake on the left (looking down) and possibly to the ridge on the left fork (looking down). We want to be on the right fork.

Split mountain via Red Lake. We did this one with an extended route because the road is too bad to take a regular 2wd low clearance car all the way to the TH. If you have high clearance 4wd, you should have no trouble making it to the trailhead.

We started at the car around noon and made it to the trailhead about 2pm. Then made it to the lake around 7pm.

The following morning we got up and hit the trail again at 4am and made it to summit by 10am. The only tricky section was at the top of the glacier, there is a pretty steep scramble. Look at the waypoints on my map for detailed areas.