Spaulding Lake Trail

Spaulding Lake Trail is a 4.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Nevada City, California that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

The beginning of the trail follows an old washed out roadbed for a quarter mile before climbing a series of switchbacks. The trail is mostly under deep tree cover along rocky ground. There is a significant climb of approximately 700 feet to the edge of lake Spaulding. In the spring there are substantial wet areas and small streams to ford. About 3 miles in you will need to cross under a large pipeline (penstock). Follow the pipline up the hill approximately 150 feet before continuing on eastward to the lake overlook. Alternately, follow the pipe line south to a small foot bridge that takes you to the overlook near PG& E's small hydeo-electric power plant. Return by the same route.

We loved this trail! It had everything we wanted, great wildflowers, dog friendly, not too strenuous, shady, sparsely populated. but we heard about a waterfall, and couldn't find it. maybe next time.

Had a great hike. Just moved here about a week ago, and this was my first hike in California. Trail was a little unclear in some spots. But still made it easily to the end. On the way back however I did come across a rattlesnake that was just off the trail hiding in a bush. Thankfully my dog didn't find it. Other than that encounter absolutely beautiful day.

Great Hike! More strenuous as you get farther on the trail. Lake offers a great stop for a snack.

Easy hike. Turn right after you cross the dam. Canal should be on your left. First time we hiked this trail. Nice shade on the hike in. We goofed and once we arrived at the lake, we went over the edge and had lunch, enjoyed the view. Trail lead further up and leads to the peninsula. Next time.

6/17/2017 Hike
This trail is short but the destination is amazing! Careful on the rocks, I made friends with a rattle snake, it hissed, I screamed, we were both okay. Please note, shortly after turning on Bowman Lake Rd, which is a paved road btw, there is a portion covered/patched up with loose large gravel. Our low clearance sedan couldnt make it with passengers so my boys walked while the car went over. After that, the road is fine. Be sure to get there early or you'd have a hard time finding parking. We parked on the day use area of Fuller Lake ($7) and followed the trail map on All Trails from there. There are sections on the trail that are blocked off by PGE, just follow the detour signs and youd be fine. Worth checking out and I wouldnt mind going back.