Learn more

Spattercone Nature Trail is a 1.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Old Station, California that offers scenic views and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 1.3 miles Elevation Gain: 150 feet Route Type: Out & Back

great trail. well marked and there is a guide you can use to follow the nature markers.

1.7 mile self guided nature hike. Make sure to pick up a pamphlets to explain each marked spot. If they are out I’ve included them in my photos. Not a flip flop wall, there is enough up and down to keep you warm. Enjoy

It was a nice little hike I did with kids that haven't really hiked much. There is no shade so spring, fall or early morning would be a better time to do it. We did it late morning on the hottest day of summer and we were ready to get back to shade.

Thu Jun 27 2019

So much to see and read about in one loop. Might be too difficult for some people that’s cannot hike at a little incline. I had my kids with me and there were great. Trail is wonderfully marked. Breathtaking views of Mt. Lassen.

Thu Jul 26 2018

So much to see on this one loop!

Sun Jun 18 2017

Easy, some nice views of Mt Lassen.

Tue Jun 06 2017

Nice trail with some elevation. Interesting interpretive trail about local geology. Map is online but maybe available at the trail head.

Wed May 31 2017

Nice easy hike with stops featuring volcanic formations (the coolest one's are 10 and 11 which are off a little spur at some point during the loop). The trail is clearly marked and has a good amount of variety. Worth the stop if you're in the area.

Sat May 13 2017

Great hike with our 5 year old. Cool facts and info about the volcanic geography along the way. Good, easy hike.

recorded Spattercone Nature Trail