South Yuba Trail

South Yuba Trail is a 19.8 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Nevada City, California that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Point to Point

California Travel and Tourism Commision, P.O. Box 1499 , Sacramento, CA, 95812-1499, Phone: 800-862-2543

Be sure to check yourself and pets, lots of ticks.

I would like to backpack this trail. I am looking for some pointers as far as where the trailhead is for this 20 mile trail and where we would be allowed to camp? Can anyone help me out?

It was sickkkkkkkk bring a rain jacket though if done in winter

Certain areas of the trail have rocks so need to be careful, but its a beautiful trail with awesome views.

Hard to go back up, pretty rocky, moderate hike. Camping at the bottom, amazing clear water, river trout, bring snorkeling gear. Try and catch the fish by hand(noodling) those bastards are crafty. Floated down the river, where water shoes of some kind. Great spot, help keep our nature spots clean.

Super nice trail. Ee found a creek at the beginning which we used to swim and refresh ourselves (it was more than 90F), and a couple more of those later to wet our t-shirt.

Beautiful hike with so much variety. It would be a 5 star for sure if there wasn't the most mosquito hawks / mosquitos / poison oak I've ever seen in my life.

Just make sure to carry lots of good repellent with you as the bugs are out at all hours of the day, and wear pants to protect yourself from the poison oak and overgrown sections of the trail, which are plentiful.

Tons of awesome little waterfalls, walking bridges, butterflies, caterpillars, wild flowers, non-poisonous snakes, and even found 2 tiny little scorpions under rocks!

Backpacked out for 2 nights. The camp spots are few and far between - 2.75 miles 7.3, 7.5 miles 10.67 miles...at least on my GPS. Didn't go past that, but that's literally ALL the viable sites we came across.

Tuesday, February 07, 2017

Great trail, sometimes the earth was so soft and narrow though along a cliff side that you couldn't enjoy the scenery since you had to watch your step constantly. Did in 3 days, easily doable for the average backpacker but get an early start if your slow and it's winter

Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Great Backpacking Video on various trails in Yosemite National Park, Red Peak, Young Lakes, May Lake etc..

Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Only did a short section heading south from Edward's Crossing, but what I saw was gorgeous. Would definitely return to hike more of this trail. I was there in late December, and everything was green and the river was high, and there were a couple small waterfalls along the trail. Saw a couple kayakers running the rapids too.

Saturday, October 01, 2016

Started at Purdon Crossing hiked through to Illinois Crossing primitive campsite for the night. Hiked back towards Purdon and stayed at Emerald Pool. Encountered gold miners, poison oak, and beautiful views. Lots of wildflowers. Amazing trail.

Wednesday, May 28, 2014

I only went up this trail for 2 miles but what I experienced of it so far was a great trail along the water ... good places to camp along the trail......I will be able to give it a better rating once I do more of the trail....I look forward to doing so.....it is quite,calm and free parking.....

Friday, May 02, 2014

THIS TRAIL WAS AWESOME!! ALONG THE YUBA RIVER SITES WERE AWESOME. MANY LEDGES. PATHWAYS THAT LEAD DOWN TO THE RIVER. SOME STEEP HILLS. ONLY WENT OUT 2 MILES SEVERAL GOOD CAMPING SPOTS BUT MOST ARE ON FEDERAL MINING CLAIM SITES. PARTS OF TRAIL WAS ERODED.

Monday, August 05, 2013

Actually the trail continues past Edwards crossing up to Washington,with spur trails coming in from the malikoff diggings area. Beautiful trail will easy access all year. I remember backpacking into this area in the winter back in high school and only meeting miners coming out for supplies. It is a pretty popular MTB trail now.

To continue the hike that the other reviewer describes below, just continue through the campground at Edwards Crossing. There is a very well maintained trail from there.

Oh, lots of poison oak as would be expected at this altitude and environment but it is probably not much of an issue unless you dump your mountain bike into it.

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Despite the fact that I go to the South Yuba River frequently in the summer, I'm still not really sure about the endpoints of this trail. I think the most popular part of the trail is between the Purdon Bridge (which I THINK is the SW endpoint) and Edwards Crossing on North Bloomfield Rd.

I've walked this part of the trail probably a dozen times. It's about 4.5 miles and by no means difficult. Some of it offers views of the river from high up on the rocky walls, and other parts are deeper in the wooded valleys of the creeks that feed into the river.

Both of these places offer great swimming in the summer. A couple years ago I swam/floated the whole 4.5 miles downstream and then hiked the trail back up in my Keens! Fun day.

NW of Edwards crossing is where I get confused. Crossing the bridge, there are more trails that run along the river but none of these are developed and marked like the previously mentioned section.

It may be that the trail follows N Bloomfield for a few miles up to the campground.

I'd love to see a diagram of this whole trail.

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

We only went a bit past the picnic area, but it's a pretty decent trail. It just follows the cliff side on the north side of the river through mixed oak and pine forest. The scenery never really changes up to that point, and the trail mostly stays well above the river. It is possible to get down in a few places though, such as at the picnic area if you want to climb down 600 feet. Nice views, especially at the north canyon spur.

Monday, April 03, 2017