South Shore Drive Trail

South Shore Drive Trail is a 3.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Truckee, California that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from May until September.

Distance: 3.7 miles Elevation Gain: 590 feet Route Type: Out & Back

I had low expectations with this trail, but I actually really enjoyed it! Dogs and I hiked up on a Sunday morning and there were 2-3 other cars parked on the street with us (no lot) and we saw 2-3 other people walking and a few mountain bikers. You can take your car off road and drive up some of the trail and park, but it's pretty rocky and steep so I would just hike it. Some wildflowers and a creek, and a few views here and there. Half of the trail is uphill getting there, but once you reach the second bridge it flattens out. A little steep going downhill back to the car, but had no problems in my Converse.

Still quite a bit of water in the seasonal creeks draining Lakeview Canyon. Therefore wildflowers still good and LOTS of various butterflies. Nice hike.

recorded South Shore Drive Trail