South Lykken Trail is a 7.3 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Palm Springs, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 7.3 miles Elevation Gain: 2,257 feet Route Type: Out & Back

North end of this trial, you'll want to go to West Mesquite Avenue, the South end would be at South Palm Canyon.

South Lykken Trail| May 18, 2019 7am-9:30 pm This trail provided a great view of Coachella valley. #Alltrails has it listed as a 7mile point to point trail. We started on the south side of the trail and hiked to the highest elevation and back down totaling just over 4 miles. The first 0.5 miles of the hike is steep but the rest was gradual. We were hoping to see big horned sheep

I saw at least 15 big horn sheep! First time ever.

Absolutely love this hike! Strongly suggest wearing hiking boots instead of runners from a safety as well as comfort standpoint.

excellent hike, start early, in the sun 80 of the day.

Great Hike!!!!! Gorgeous view! Start early morning to avoid the heat. We started at 9am. Bring lots of water. We started at the end and finished at Tahquitz canyon and ubered back to car. Overall took about 2-3hrs. Greatly surprised by Bighorns on trail not even 20ft from us. Keep eyes out for them as you can miss them.

We enjoyed the South Lykken trail today! It took us 2.5 hours with 2 stops, one at each peak. There are park benches at each view point. We started at the south trail head. There was plenty of parking. The trail is rocky and uneven. You have to keep your eye on the trail. We took an Uber from the north trail head back to the south trail head when we finished. We saw one dog. I would not want to bring my golden retreiver. He tugs too much and there are narrow parts of the trail.

The trail is pretty narrow, so trying to keep a distance from your dog and other dogs is pretty difficult if someone was to have a dog who isn’t too friendly. It got busy after 10 so going through the narrow trail is always stop and go letting other people through. It’s a wonderful view of the valley on the top however. My only issue is how many dog waste bags were just left on the side of the trails that the owners did not throw away.

Good technical parts. Good uphill and then rolling enjoyable parts.

Big Horn Sheep right off trail. Loved the steep up and the views of all Palm Springs and desert cities . The picnic area about 1.7 mile mark is a beautiful spot for short trip hikers. We continued on and even though it’s a busy trail we loved it’s terrain and convenience with the fast workout.

busy and exposed. big horn sheep hanging out right near the trail posing for pictures. we went up to the picnic tables and back down the same way, as there is more elevation gain to get to the ridgeline if you continue through. you could easily do this point to point if you had 2 cars or wanted to take an uber back.

A nice challenge with some great views. I even got to see some bighorn sheep. Be sure to start at the southern trailhead if you want to avoid paying for the park.

One of so many hikes in the area. Easy accessibility makes it a favorite Trail. Enjoyed it several times.

Awesome views. Moderate hike

Loved the views - a good moderate trail with a variety of terrain, from fairly steep to flat.

Loved it

Great views at the Vista. Great hike for people who are at least moderately fit. Definitely worth in my books.

Good views of the valley, but crowded with rocky rims to walk on.

my favourite hike so far! only problem we had was this app directed us to the info/ pay center at Tahquitz Canyon. We were meeting friends at the trailhead but we ended up no where near it. The trailhead (start) is actually on the other end or end of what's shown on this map. So across from Indian Canyon Golf Course

This is my favorite hike now. No time limits except daylight and enough mountain hiking to be strenuous but also enough walking to be enjoyable. I love hiking alone so it was nice that I had phone signal the entire hike for potential emergencies. I hiked from south palm canyon all the way to taquitz which was 6 miles and then walked back on palm canyon to my car which was another 2.5 Ish miles. Next time I’m going to lock my bike up at one end and leave my car at the other. I love that there are picnic tables and vista points at both ends of the hike. I saw 7 bighorn sheep on my hike. They were right on the trail eating out of a barrel cactus after smashing it open with their horns and then they were eating some cat tail bushes. I was fairly close but minding safety and I was able to stand and video tape and watch them for a good 20 minutes.

Great trail and there was hardly anyone on the trail, but then it is late August. I did go early in the morning and I was up at the picnic tables in about an hour. It was all uphill except a few places where it leveled out just for a few minutes. Very enjoyable and a good workout.

Wednesday, July 11, 2018

Its all good.grate early morning hick....

Sunday, July 08, 2018

love it.

Tuesday, June 05, 2018

I started early today to beat the heat. I only encountered other hikers at the north and south extremes, from trail heads to first lookout points. Otherwise, I had it all to myself. Wonderful views over South Palm Springs with the sun coming up.

Monday, May 28, 2018