Learn more

South Lykken Trail is a 7.3 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Palm Springs, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October.

Distance: 7.3 miles Elevation Gain: 2,257 feet Route Type: Out & Back

North end of this trial, you'll want to go to West Mesquite Avenue, the South end would be at South Palm Canyon.

This trail ends at a private property gate so absolutely think about it as a complete out and back. We left at 7 am today and it was already 80 degrees. Even though the forecast said cloudy we had a blazing hot desert sun beating down on us all morning. We didn't complete the full trip back as we followed a small ephemeral creek trail down to a water tank. That larger trail ALSO ends at private property. There is a very narrow, steep trail that runs into another dry creek bed that we followed to the road then took the sidewalk back to the car. Ended up being 6.6 miles total. Start early, bring lots of water, and maybe try this one earlier in the season (March) when the morning weather is more forgiving. It's considered a "must do" in Palm Springs, but frankly the view of the valley isn't charming enough to justify it. Not a favorite, but now I can say I did it.

favorite palm springs trail as a local i recommend this trail.

Hiked 2 weeks ago, probably the best hike I’ve enjoyed in the desert so far. Not too many people on trail, I started at 3:30pm though. Beautiful greenery and saw a herd of bighorn as well as a rattle snake. Also passed some guys who said they also saw another bighorn herd a mile away from the first herd. Very active!

Started this from the north end and hiked up to some picnic tables about 1.5 miles and 1000 feet in. Started at about 9 am, and it was perfect temp. As it starts heating up, I would start this even earlier. Great views of Palm Springs and other towns Not too challenging and running shoes were sufficient.

Great trail! Prefer to start at Mesquite Ave end and gradually gain elevation. Amazing views over the valley. Traffic was OK- a little busy but still had feel that we were hiking just ourselves for most part. No shade so better to go earlier in the day. Few wildflower colors - lots of lizards. Will definitely hike it again.

Great trail. I can’t believe it’s walking distance from my house. Once you’re on the trail it feels similar to some sections of the Grand Canyon I’ve hiked. Saw several large iguanas and a dozen big horn sheep - up close and personal. Rams were grazing on the trail. Beautiful day, moderately strenuous because man, there’s a lot of uphill. Great view from the top. Bring sunscreen and water.

Hiked this trail on Monday and saw 7 bighorn rams. So majestic and beautiful! Also saw interesting insects and cactus blossoms. The views are beautiful and this trail feels pretty remote for a good chunk of it even though it’s close to civilization.

We started at the north end (park on Mesquite Avenue, not at the Taquitz Canyon Visitors Center) and hiked to the south end of the trail, which was 4.75 miles. We then looped back via S. Palm Canyon Drive for a total of 7 miles. No big horn sheep sightings, but a guy with a huge camera and lens had seen some. Beautiful views, dramatic rock formations, and blooming creosote and brittle bushes.

Great hike with scenic views around Indian Canyons and Palm Springs. Well marked trail. Good exercise! Enjoyed seeing 9 Big Horn Sheep today around 10 am

March 14, 2020. Started hiking from the north trailhead and did an out and back trip. Save five Peninsular bighorn sheep. Cacti are starting to flower and there was a nice view of Tahquitz Falls (which was flowing). I started around 11 am and it was pretty crowded, but on my way back the crowds had thinned out.

Nice trail with beautiful views of Palm Springs. Saw 5 bighorn sheep on our way down in late afternoon. We went up to the first set of picnic tables and came back down. It was about 3 miles.

Great views! Saw about 10 Bighorn sheep along the route this morning as well.

Leisurely strolled this hike. took ~3hrs and 40mins round trip from the far end of the parking lot to end and back... we were seriously moseying... It was fun. Lots of hype regarding big horn sheep, but we didn’t see any. Saw a bunch of antelope squirrels (AKA “chipmunks”) at the benches and maybe a hundred lizards along the way. The final descent upon returning is a little rough on the ankles and knees but the hike was worth it. After completing the Skyline trail to the tram last week, I may have become a tougher grader, but I feel that this was a solid 3.5 Star hike on the day we went.

great trail

Beautiful views

Great hike and today ran in to pack of big horn just feet off the trail!

I love this trail so much... come on and get it

Quick elevation. Great vistas. City, mountains and valleys. 2 spots with picnic tables provide a nice respite. Really beautiful view into Tahquitz canyon and the waterfall. 5 stars would hike again.

Great Hike. Good work out. Great views. Easy trail to follow. Slow and Steep incline at first with rolling hills thereafter.

Very good hike accessible from town. Pretty rocky terrain, but not scrambling. Very exposed; would recommend doing this once the sun has set in town or laying the sunblock on heavy and bringing water (or do it in the winter and care a little less). Did not see any sheep. The northern end finishes at the Tahquitz Canyon trail. Can be linked with the North Lykken trail with a ~1mi road detour making for an ~8mi one-way hike. We did this, but were not in love with the North trail; less scenic, lots of city noise, and a difficult finish if you follow the Alltrails version of the north end.

Great hike Saw one big horn sheep I got 9 miles

Hiked from the Mesquite Rd trail head to the top. Nice strenuous hike. Saw the Bighorn sheep! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmJoUD8h

Super beautiful hike and provides a steep incline at first and then kind of levels off for a while. It was scorchingly hot the day we hiked, which I would NOT recommend. No shade (to be expected). Trail is a bit narrow at times but not uncomfortably so. Well marked. Lovely cactuses.

I would highly recommend this one. The trail is narrow but well kept and their is wild life all around! Did it at sunrise and thoroughly enjoyed it