South Lykken Trail

South Lykken Trail is a 7.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Palm Springs, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

North end of this trial, you'll want to go to West Mesquite Avenue, the South end would be at South Palm Canyon.

best views of palm springs looking east

my daily hike, wonderful

I’m new to hiking and looking forward to many more adventures like this trail.

Great hike! Great view at the summit!

Great trail for all levels of hikers. Terrific view at the summit

Picnic tables midway make for a nice rest with a beautiful view of Palm Springs and beyond.

This is a great hike if you have two cars. We started at the north end with a steep but short (1.5 miles) manageable climb. Then there is some scenic relaxed walking along the the ledge, with great views including big horn sheep sightings. Descend on the south end. Approximately 4.5 miles, which took us about 2 hours of moving time.

Exhausting but so worth it!

A great hike!

Saw many Ovis canadensis and a few Canine domesticus (scoff laws).

Beautiful views over the valley. Dogs are no problem from South trailhead. No dogs allowed at TC trailhead. Only met a few other hikers. Very nice hike.

THIS PARK DOES NOT ALLOW DOGS (EVEN ON LEASH). PLEASE CORRECT YOUR INFORMATION.

Great hike which is not too over run with other hikers. Offers great views of Palm Springs and Tahquitz Falls.

One of the best trails in Palm Springs, with a good chance of encountering big horn sheep.

A must when you are in Palm Springs.

I love this hike. A quick workout in the morning. It hot in the afternoon as you are in direct sun.

I’ve seen bighorn sheep the last 2 weekends on this trail. Amazing.

Great hike, go early even in January it gets hot.

Great hike w/ a steady climb. Friendly people, while not too crowded. Will definitely do it again.

If you park at the T C visitors center, you have a steep uphill climb to start your hike. Very rocky.

Fantastic morning hike. Saw a group of young rams on the mountainside.

Love this trail. The best in the desert for hikers seeking a decent vertical climb with great views of the Valley and amenable to dogs!

Incredible hike! Must go in morning time and prep for hot weather. View at the top is amazing and makes the strenuous hike up the mountain worth it.

Monday, April 17, 2017

Interesting rock formations. Great view of Tahquitz Canyon and the waterfall.

Tuesday, February 21, 2017

One of my most favorite hikes to do in palm springs. If you have a couple of hours in the morning to do a good workout this is the one. I park and start on South Palm Canyon Drive where you can catch the Trailhead then hike/run down to the Tahquitz Visitor Center located on Mesquite Ave then walk the road all the way back to the car to make it a complete loop. You can overlook all of palm springs and maybe even catch a glimpse of the desert bighorn sheep which we did this past weekend. ENJOY!!!

Sunday, November 27, 2016

I love this trail.

Thursday, March 17, 2016

I did the trail with my all-time favorite hiking partner, my daughter. We started at the Mesquite entrance, though unfortunately we had to park the car about three blocks downhill from the trail head. There were several no parking notices beyond where we were able to park; thus we had what I call a 'hike to the hike'. A very good aerobic hike, all mostly uphill. We made it to the picnic tables. Pluses were that we can look into the canyon to see the massive flowing Tahquitz waterfall, and you can see the sprawling city view of all of Palm Springs and parts of Palm Desert, along with the thousands of palm trees inside. Negatives include limited wildlife, with just the basic sightings of several lizards. Other than a few heathy looking barrel cactus, the variety of the cactus and desert shrubbery was limited. Lastly, though we are fortunately in wildflower season, this particular trail did not have the spectacular array of blooming flowers that the other trails exhibited. Friendly hikers were found periodically during our hike, though none were seen traversing farther than the picnic table areas. Special shoutout to the entirely barefoot Italian woman we met who taught us perfect hiking etiquette when passing parties on narrow trails.

Wednesday, February 03, 2016

Great climb that took less than two hours. Beautiful views, too!

Thursday, January 28, 2016

Great views of Palm Springs and a few other trails. Easy switchbacks up to a great picnic table area. Just past the tables peek around a large rock for an awesome view over Tahquitz canyon. Very well marked.

Saturday, January 23, 2016

I have seen big horn sheep a few times now on the trail between the north and south summits.