South Fortuna Trail and Fortuna Saddle Trail Loop

South Fortuna Trail and Fortuna Saddle Trail Loop is a 5.8 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near San Diego, California that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 5.8 miles Elevation Gain: 1,499 feet Route Type: Loop

rails trails

This is a perfect 10k loop that starts and ends at the Visitors Center parking lot

bridge out

Looks like a great trail but you can’t cross the San Diego River right now and another storm is coming. Access via a different trail head such as the one to the west on all trails. I started off at the trailhead on this map and diverted to a new hike plan by hiking over to climbers loop then kwaay paay peak. Fun and beautiful nonetheless!

Totally underestimated the trail we took but it was absolutely beautiful. We went at sunset and made it to the peak at exactly sunset. It was amazing.

Nice hike with my hubby and dogs at night be careful with snakes

This is my favorite hike in the mission trails regional park, starting from the visitor center it ends up being about 7 miles, bring lots of water, still pretty warm out in the late morning and afternoon.

I loved this hike! Unfortunately, I decided to do it while 20 weeks pregnant. There were a lot of paths that made it difficult to stay on track but I made it up easy but coming back down was really hard as we ended up going back up again at a wrong turn. For 20 weeks pregnant it wasn’t easy but I’m sure if I went pre pregnancy I wouldn’t have struggled so much.

A bit of everything. Nice hike near San Diego.

Nice hike but do it early. It’s gets warm.

Let me preface this by saying reviews like these are highly subjective; one person’s moderate is another’s difficult. That said, this is a challenging hike! Much of the trail is a steep incline, especially the 100+ stairs to the summit. Whatever you plan to take for water, I suggest taking twice that amount. There is very little shade but you can catch a nice breeze at times. We are from the Sierra Foothills and found the terrain to be less than picturesque; more like high desert with dry brush than lush green or wildflowers. Very rocky and sandy in spots so make sure you have good hiking shoes or sneakers. The view at the summit is breathtaking though and certainly worth the effort if you make it to the base of the stairs. It took us approximately 2.5-3 hours round trip, with some short breaks along the way.

The cold air in the morning made it real difficult going up the stairs

Great view of San Diego from the top. Hike was tough but definitely worth it. Only negative is the large number of trails that cross cross through each other. I ended up not staying on my planned route.

Great walk!

Great hike. Stairway to summit is nice and tough, but all in all a very enjoyable and beautiful walk!

Recommend an early start, we did 6:30 AM. We just hiked South Fortuna summit- the shade on the steps helped! Great for a dog ONLY IF you go early.

A disappointment, not because of the trail but because my spouse didn’t want to finish it.

Very scenic, moderately difficult trail. The summit has beautiful 360 degree panoramic views of the city as well as the peaks in Mission Trails. There are two fairly steep areas on the trail, one of which has steps built into the mountain.

Great hike! We added 1.2 miles by detouring out and back to the north fortuna peak which was a tough addition but worth it. Took us 4 hours and 2-3 liters of water each (we are experienced hikers). Decent birding, great views, fun hike! Note: due to extreme heat conditions signs were posted to not do this hike with dogs, kids, or inexperienced hikers in the heat of the day

Nice hike over two peaks!

Fun trail if you go earlier enough in the day to beat the heat. Stairs up South Fortuna are tough and the final ascent up North Fortuna wasn’t a breeze, but it was a good time.